Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

"4WD Service Required" after tyre change

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:50 AM
Question "4WD Service Required" after tyre change

Hi there,
this is my first post so go easy
I've had a look at the others but cant find a similar thread...
Basically I renewed the 2 front tyres on my 2010 Outlander last week and straight away after a couple of minutes driving the 4wd service required indication pops up on the display. it resets after the car is turned off and will pop up again after some time driving again.
the 4wd will be dis-engaged if the car is in 4wd. The wheel alignment has been done also...
Had no problems or indication before the tyre change :/
Is it the case all 4 tyres need to be re-newed at the same time? if this is the case I guess the wheel rotation speed has an affect on the detection of the service?
any thoughts would be gratefully received

Cheers
Chris

Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Scholes
Hi there,
this is my first post so go easy
I've had a look at the others but cant find a similar thread...
Basically I renewed the 2 front tyres on my 2010 Outlander last week and straight away after a couple of minutes driving the 4wd service required indication pops up on the display. it resets after the car is turned off and will pop up again after some time driving again.
the 4wd will be dis-engaged if the car is in 4wd. The wheel alignment has been done also...
Had no problems or indication before the tyre change :/
Is it the case all 4 tyres need to be re-newed at the same time? if this is the case I guess the wheel rotation speed has an affect on the detection of the service?
any thoughts would be gratefully received

Cheers
Chris
On AWD vehicles, all 4 tires need to be the same size. If the front tires are new and the rears worn, the tires spin faster than the fronts and that will cause binding and wear on the drivetrain. If done long enough, it will cause severe damage to the center diff and or transmission. I would get new tires in the back as soon as you can to avoid it.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by 15_OS
On AWD vehicles, all 4 tires need to be the same size. If the front tires are new and the rears worn, the tires spin faster than the fronts and that will cause binding and wear on the drivetrain. If done long enough, it will cause severe damage to the center diff and or transmission. I would get new tires in the back as soon as you can to avoid it.
For the outlander, it depends on the year. My '07 model has 2WD/4WD Auto/4WD Lock modes. I can put mine in 2WD and purchased two tires. I've done it.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:17 AM

I had an unrepairable rear sidewall puncture on my 2012 Outlander - I wanted to replace both rears with Avons as they are sold as being quieter and supposedly give better mpg

Local tyre company (national chain) would only replace all four at once due to problems found in the past with Mitzis and warning lights when fitting mis-matched tyres across all 4 corners - so the issue is known about