Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Advice on a roof rack / basket ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Default Advice on a roof rack / basket ?

I want to put a roof "basket" type thing on my Outlander - BUT here's the catch - I have two criteria:

1. It has to be flat - without the "sides."
2. It needs to mount right on the roof racks - I do not want cross bars.

No luck googling, etc - I'm sure I'm missing something. Any ideas?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 AM

1) a basket without sides? you have a pic for reference?
2) so you want it to attach to the factory SIDE RAILS? None that I know of do this... all have to be attached to CROSS BARS that I know of...

HOWEVER... I do have a Yakima dry bag that does not need cross bars to be mounted... can mount to the side rails... I am trying to sell it and if you are interested let me know...

Also have a Yakima LoadWarrior basket for sale...

Old 10-26-2015, 10:23 AM

No picture, because it doesn't seem like what i want, exists - but think along the lines of those safari vehicles or simply a van with a wide / long rectangular wire grate all over the top. Think basket, without the sides.

The bag won't work - I need what I am looking for so I can simply use bungee cords "anywhere" along the platform.

Let's say I go to Home Depot and grab a bunch of 2x4's or some sheets of 4x8 material - just slap them on, tie down, without worrying about any damage done by … the sides… of a regular basket.

The reason I don't simply use cross bars - is 1. most are ugly, and I don't like the height they add - and secondly, I don't want anything touching the roof - such as boxes.

Thanks for correcting me - Side rails - not roof racks.

Think wire shelving, but 4x6 in dimension. I would somehow attach it to the side rails.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:16 PM

I bought a set of Yakima RailGrab with 58" bars... Not bulky and go on and off in less than 5 minutes.... Would be perfect for plywood...

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...tlander-48925/

Old 10-26-2015, 12:20 PM

Those are nice - I'll look them up thanks!
The issue is; what do I do when I have a bunch of boxes that I want to put up top? Put them on top of a plywood board for the duration of the need ? How do I secure the plywood to the bars so that it is not shifting around?
Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:35 PM

It does indeed exist, though pricey

Pioneer Platforms | Rhino-Rack

Or use some 8020 aluminum extrusion and make your own:

http://www.8020.net/

Last edited by ckmecha; 10-26-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Silent Seed
Those are nice - I'll look them up thanks!
The issue is; what do I do when I have a bunch of boxes that I want to put up top? Put them on top of a plywood board for the duration of the need ? How do I secure the plywood to the bars so that it is not shifting around?
Thanks for the advice.
Straps for the plywood... My brother has same setup... Does it all the time

Old 10-26-2015, 06:19 PM

Those Rhino Rack Platforms are exactly what I had in mind - but I am sure there are cheaper alternatives by other companies - just not sure what search terms to pull them up on google - have tried car top platform, etc, and am coming up empty.

I'm not looking for some temporary plywood solution, but something nice, like those, to stay on the vehicle. But maybe a couple hundred dollars less.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:49 AM

They have a couple more types, take a look through them:

http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/products/roof-trays

Old 10-27-2015, 10:03 AM

Thanks - I have contacted them about directly attaching a platform to my side rails. I do not like cross bars, and I don't want to do a mickey-mouse job with plywood.

Quick Reply: Advice on a roof rack / basket ?