Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE

I checked the connections, and the ground. All solid. All lights still work. Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Paul

Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 AM

Went to the dealer, and showed him the lights. He said it wasn't a problem.

Went to install the 4 to 7 conversion, and tested the 4 plug first. Tail light wire and right blinkers showed juice, nothing for the left!

So, it appears back to the dealer I must go. Seems hard to believe, but something must be wrong with the harness from the dealer!

Cheers,

Paul

Old 11-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Default RE: Aftermarket Hitch Installation

I bought the mitsubishi hitch, wasnt too expensive. $233, and I installed it myself. I bought the wire kit for $60 and I have yet to install that, im afraid to mess something up

Old 11-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Having learned what I have, I would not hesitate to install the OEM wiring kit myself. It is very easy, and the instructions provided are quite clear. It is really just a 'plug and play' device - the car is prewired for that harness very nicely. My problem appears to stem from a problem in the harness itself! Having looked at the work and the instructions, I don't think any literate person could have screwed up the installation.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2007, 02:37 PM

Is there somewhere I can order the OEM harness online?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:34 AM

FYI - After my 2nd visit to the dealer, he figured out the harness had been assembled wrong. He re-wired it, and now everything appears to work as it should. Fingers crossed...

Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 PM

Has anyone had any issues with their dealers griping about voiding the warranty by doing this install themselves?

I wouldn't think so, but i've read a lot of posts with comments like "can't do that you'll void the warranty".

I do like doing these things myself, but not at the cost of having troublegetting warranty service. I was just wondering since it requires some wiring and removal of parts.

Thanx

Old 01-31-2008, 06:25 AM

If you buy the factory harness, it is a plug and play appplication. As for the hitch, it is a direct bolt on (oem or aftermarket), so no drilling needed since Mitsu provided the holes with nuts welded in place in the rear frame rails.

I can't see how any dealership could claim you have voided a warranty by plugging in anOEM wiring harness and bolting on a hitch that Mitsubishi designed the vehicle for. Now if you go cutting wires and using a universal trailer harness like RDENIS did, they could try to give some flack if you ever have any electrical issues, whether they are right or wrong. I am not saying you should notuse a universal harness, because I have used many in the past when I had vehicles that were not prewired for an OEMharness. I am justsaying that if you cut/ splice wires, you have now opened the door for the dealer to try to void warranty claims. It was not worth the $30 difference for me to take that chance. You can see in my previous posts that I went with an aftermarket hitch and the OEM harness. Hope that helps!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 AM

Fisherman,
Good points. I agree the hassle is not worth the $30 for the harness, but i really don't like the look of the OEM hitch. I plan to go with the Curt Hitch or maybe the Hidden Hitch (need to see pics first). Plug and play is usually safe, but nowadays who knows.

The other thing I'm wondering about is the Auto Dim/Homelink mirror install (different post). Since that requires some fancy splicingi may just have the dealer do the install since i already have the mirror.

Thanx

Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 AM

Did you have to remove the heat shield?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Hitch Installation - UPDATED - COMPLETE