Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Default Aftermarket HU

Hi,
I own a 08 2.2 Diamond Outlander with Rockford Fosgate amp and MMCS E02 HU that needs replacing
I've rushed headlong in and bought a Pioneer AVH-X8700BT head unit because I saw a Youtube clip of one in an Outlander.
That was my first mistake.
I then ordered a CTUMT01 SWC interface, before it was dispatched got cold feet and cancelled because it looked like it wasn't right despite all info pointing to the fact it probably was.
2nd Mistake
Ordered CTSMT002.2 also convinced it will work (it probably will)

My big dilemma is that the information for all the existing wiring is scrappy as hell. I can assume that powering of the AMP and HU will not be a problem and connection to speakers is also assured. On top of that SWC looks fairly certain so all that remains is RES hookup (I take it that's the abbreviation I'm seeing to indicate the Rear Entertainment System) and the reversing CAM. This is where I'm seeing multiple solutions on account of the number of MMCS revisions.
I've googled for hours and flicked through so many pages of this forum I swear I'll go mad.
Can any kind soul please share any PDF or documents that would give me a clear indication of what I need to splice into?
I will offer my first born up to anyone who can help a poor soul out.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:50 PM

The factory amp/sub are controlled over the CAN bus they are not your standard amp with wires and adjustments, everything is controlled digitally.

If you don't want to replace the factory amp you will need an interface unit. I have a '10 with Rockford and I got a Chinese aftermarket unit that came with a CAN interface. The amp will not turn on otherwise and you can't just connect a power wire like you can on standard amps.

Crutchfield maintains a database of cars and what parts are needed to install aftermarket stereos and they say you should get:

Axxess MITO-02 Wiring Interface
install a new stereo in 2007-up Mitsubishi vehicles while retaining use of the factory Rockford Fosgate audio system •provides VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), parking brake, and reverse functions for installing a navigation receiver

AND

Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter
works with analog or digital signals •wire splicing required •self-programming

They also include "master sheets" which is a fancy name for wiring diagram for your car if you buy any of the adapters or stereo from them.

Last edited by Guyfromhe; 01-04-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:08 PM

According to the Connects2 support guys the harness I made reference to in the post above will trigger the amp and no additional wiring is needed for speakers/power/amp control. All that remains is for me to wire RES and reversing camera..... That's where I'm stuck.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:18 AM

Well, I hope your right.

Not sure about the RES but here is a document on how to install the OEM backup camera, there is explanation which connector and pins bring the video feed:
http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Insta...LANDER_PG1.pdf

You may need to wire a trigger wire for reverse though depending how the OEM camera works and how your new HU works.

You might have to pull the RES down and do some metering to figure out how it's wired.

Last edited by Guyfromhe; 01-05-2016 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:15 PM

Looking at the OEM camera it seems to require 6.6v which is fairly random. All the cameras I use on my quadcopters can support a wide range of voltage input. The temptation is to swap the OEM unit out..... But I want to keep as much stock as possible so I can refit the mmcs if I sell the Outlander.
With that in mind I'm tempted to use a BUC converter to stepdown 12v to 6.6v.
I'm pretty competent with electrics so not phased, my track record with stripping trim down to get at wiring is another story. Always seem to end up breaking clips etc so am loathed to go full teardown mode.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:33 PM

If you want to swap it out with a cheap aftermarket one I have installed this item on 2 of my Outlanders as neither came with one and I wasn't going to pay $350 for an OEM one.. It works perfectly fine, I am actually using it with a digital wireless video transmitter so I don't have to **** around with running wires across the car:

CCD Backup Rear View Car Camera for Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 2012 | eBay

Takes 12V from the reverse lights to power camera and transmitter.

If you feel up to it though I would probably try and keep the OEM one.

I'm the same way, I have broken my fair share of clips and plastic pieces... Just go slow, make sure it's nice and warm and if you can use the right tools.

In the end though if you break a few clips no one will notice.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:39 PM

Thanks mate.
I already have dozens of wireless cameras as I'm a multirotor enthusiast. They are now surprisingly cheap from most hobby suppliers or there likes of Banggood etc.
As for the warm weather.... I wish. It hasn't stopped raining here for about a month. Not good at all.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:52 PM

Thing about that camera is it fits perfectly in the OEM hole and looks stock.

Like quadcopters and the like?

I've got a few heli's and I have an ARDrone 2.0...

Old 01-05-2016, 01:58 PM

Also have a 3d printer so can build a housing for any occasion.
Love me some multi's. Started small and ballooned into obsession. From none to a hangar of 12 with parts to build double that. Built every one myself and find it very therapeutic. Have a big 6s TBS frame that could probably go between 3 and 5 miles. Not that I've had the stones to take it that far out yet.

No UK suppliers for standard fit cameras for under £30 on eBay.

Last edited by danbst; 01-05-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:01 PM

Heh neat. I'm not quite that obsessed but I took mine outside for the first time ever and it was pretty terrifying trying not to hit well everything...

Also got a 3d printer.. Printrbot... built the kit.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HU