Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Which Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 02:13 AM
Thumbs up Which Air Filter

Which Car Air Filter do you use and why? Currently using a K&N but beginning to think it's all hype and there are better performing filter brands out there.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:11 AM

I'd be interested to know what you find out.
Changing the air filter is so rare maintenance-wise, that it's not a cost factor - but anything that will actually improve mpg - I would like to know about.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:46 PM

I use K&N as well. There is not a lot of air filter out there for our cars unless you change out your whole system. There's the AEM Dry Flow but it is just the same as the K&N but a little cheaper. Now, was there a noticeable increase in MPG? Maybe, but nothing noticeable. Was there an increase in HP? Not really. Again, not significant enough to notice. If you want more options for an air filter, upgrade your whole system. I read somewhere in these forums that a Lancer Injen Air Intake bolts right up with no mods. Maybe worth looking into.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:51 PM

Thanks - why would you use the KN filter then? Was it to see if it made a difference, or is there another reason you use them? Do they need to be replaced?

Old 02-22-2016, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Silent Seed
Thanks - why would you use the KN filter then? Was it to see if it made a difference, or is there another reason you use them? Do they need to be replaced?
Only because they're a known and reputable brand and I have always used them. It's low maintenance and keeps your throttle body cleaner than other cheap filters. So it seems. Had mine for almost 7 years now since I bought the car brand new in 2009. Replaced it straightaway. You don't need to replace it. Just wash and re-oil with the K&N filter oil.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:48 PM

I am using the AEM dry filter.... doesn't need replace like cotton filters.... I bought this one because it is a simple tap the dust/debris out or vacuum out.. (hose out if necessary) but do not need to oil it!

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...-filter-48981/

Old 02-23-2016, 07:46 PM

http://www.exhausttuningparts.com/pu...?id=154&cid=41

I use the above one which is similar to the AEM one above - works great and flows more than a stock one for sure.
This is for a V6 motor tho

Last edited by Tlronny; 02-24-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
Which Car Air Filter do you use and why? Currently using a K&N but beginning to think it's all hype and there are better performing filter brands out there.
I've bought Fram and Mann filters. Quick change and I go about my business. When I change it out, I know it is clean and will work properly.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:36 AM

I know I don't want to have to mess with oiling a filter, etc - sounds like a lot of trouble when the stock one I don't even have to think about.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Silent Seed
I know I don't want to have to mess with oiling a filter, etc - sounds like a lot of trouble when the stock one I don't even have to think about.
Bingo....for negligible effect.

Quick Reply: Which Air Filter