Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Airbag Deployment Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Default Airbag Deployment Concerns

hi to all,
ive been a lurker to the forumsfor quite some time and you guys have an awsome & informative site over here
i have a black XLS (base) outlander that im very happy with and am presently into an ongoing car audio project
i have the system running already with an amp and EQ fed by the stock stereo...eventually, i still have a quite a ways to go

BUT my biggest question is...will putting speakers (tweeters) low in the A-pillars pose a high risk of having the curtain airbagsfail to deploy during an collision
i ask this because this is actually my first vehicle with airbags (period) and, the speakers im talking about arent exactly your everyday components

to give you guys an idea:

http://www.mickeysautosound.com/gall...g2_itemId=2016

http://www.mickeysautosound.com/gall...g2_itemId=1798

any inputs will be most appreciated, and if you think i should also consider other safety concerns related to this, pls do tell

thanks

alex

Old 10-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Default RE: Airbag Deployment Concerns

I dont see a tweeter setting off the airbags if my audiobahn subs didnt. My system would RMS at 2200 watts. Max out over 4500 watts. I never had a problem with air bags.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

You should be fine

Old 10-30-2007, 07:58 PM

i have the system running already with an amp and EQ fed by the stock stereo
You are planning on powering Morel Elate 9's with the stock head through an EQ? That's a dramatic mismatch, and you really should save your money (or spend 1/2 on a good replacement head and the other 1/2 on $700 speakers). AFAIK, the stock head only has speaker level outs too. There are very few SQ amps with high level ins - since by definition, SQ is dimished by two passes though amplication->de-amplication (attenuation?) stages.

I don't mean to bash you, but ou'll be pairing some of the best speakers available in the world with the equivalent of a $99 generic head unit. I guarantee you won't be pleased with the outcome.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 PM

That website shows an outlander in the photos. I cant find a contact email, I want to ask them if its on the stock amp or aftermarket amp and other things. Anyone know their email?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 PM

thanks for all your replies and no offense taken for your reply too mr chili

like you i am also a car audio enthusiast and i know my stuff quite well, if i may add
in any case, my system consists of the stock HU, equaliuzation is through an Aucdiocontrol EQX via its high level inputs and the front and rearstock speakers are presently powered by an Alpine V12 MRV-F545
i have another one of the amps with me but have not installed it because i still yet have to decide on a sub...but the power cables for this amp have already been routed
and you are correct in surmising that one of my speakers (my tweeters)will be the morel supremo, but the woofers wont be...i was thinking of going for the Rainbow ProfiVanadium Kickbass drivers, just a 6.5 woofer though and not a 9
the morel elate 9 is a good set no doubt but having used it in the past, its low end reproduction is not its strongest suit esp if you have less than 250 watts to juice it wit

i will post some pics for your reference before the week is over

but anyway, its nice to hear that its a safe option to take...i actually was told by my installer that itll be safe too
i just wanted to hear inputs from you guys who know much more about the car that i do, and have more experience with cars with airbags than i have...and i dont want to compromise safety and/or void my warranty

mr antilip,

i have no doubt that my tweeter wont set of the airbag...the question is wont the tweeter (along with the a-pillar mod) cause any impedance or failure of the airbags to deploy during a collision

btw, the website you referred to has no e-mail addy because its just a local site for the Philippine car audio market
the shop is owned by a close friend of mine whom im getting some of the equipment from
i talked to him a couple of weeks ago about that photo too, and it is running on an aftermarket amp via an LOC

again thanks

alex

Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 PM

Well the book doesnt mention anything about pillar air bags just roof mounted airbags. When you take off the pillar check for airbags. I read alot about LOC's and I have been looking to install a bigger sub and amp. I have the rockford set up with navigation. Could you ask your friend about that outlander and how he got around the sub going to the stock amp and installing an after market amp and sub. I was told I would have to loose the rear speakers in order to do this.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:35 AM

i have a good recollection of that car since i asked him about it myself,

that outlander happened to be a base XLS, so what he did was us an audicontrol LC6 as an LOC
he said he used both front and rear speaker outs to the LC6 and this gave hive a total of 6 channels of converted low level outputs which in turn fed signals to a small mono amp and a 4ch amp for the front and rear speakers

i googled it up when he told me about it:

im sure youll find this helpful: https://resources.myeporia.com/Company_38/LC6i_OM.pdf

my system is similar and my EQX functions as the LOC aside from being an EQ and a crossover
but since my EQ can only accept a pair of speaker outs, front and rear adjustmnet is strictly through the EQ an/or amp

ive managed to upload some pics of the 1st phase of my install for reference: http://www.dropshots.com/goldenboy#a...nder%20Project

hope this helps too

Old 11-03-2007, 10:33 AM

That looks like a really nice install so far. I just wonder if you've had the system playing with high gains / high power yet? I originally tried going this route with a JL Cleansweep through other decent components (Soundstream reference 644s, A/D/S 6is) and was unhappy overall with the high noise floor and the overall detail (for lack of a better word). My end result with a decent head unit direct to amplifiers just sounds soo much clearer and I can push it beyond comfortable listening and it holds together very well.

Since you really seem to be pretty good with the fabrication aspects, I'm also wondering what you are doing with the doors. My A/D/S 6is have pretty good 6.5" woofers and I'm driving the set at or beyond their 150wrms rating. I have them well sealed/sandwiched/mounted between the door panels and sheetmetal and have dynomat throughout the door. The one thing I did NOT do, was to box in the main door cavity. It actually works pretty well, but at very high volumes, the door panel does vibrate... not audibly - or buzzy - but you can feel it moving quite a bit in that main storage cavity. I think the door overall does better than other cars I've dealt with, but I think you would get a very big boost in performance if you could box in that main cavity - especially if your plan was to mount your 6.5" drivers in the doors.. It's a very big hole though, with the door panel bulges through it, so it would take some skillz!

Anyway... keep us updated, I'm interested in getting your final impressions and seeing what you end up with.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:33 AM

thank you for the compliments chili_g
ive been in autosound for a long time and ive learned a few tricks along the way, however hand skills have not been one of them
the guy it the pic is actually my installer matt, BUT realizing the cost of having stuff installed for you...i am now learnig the ropes of DIY fast

you are correct in the observation that the about the noise emmited by the outlander's factory HU
i followed the level matching instructions for the amp and eqx to the letter...
theinput levelof the EQ all the way up, the amp gains all the way down, HU at 75-80% of max volume and the eq outputs tweaked to maintain distortion free sound, etc, etc...
despite these, at quiet portions of musical tracks and at gaps in between songs...the hiss is just so niticeable and you can hear the sound of the cd player cycling/spinning...BUT i just shut out the sound in my head for the meantime and just listen to much improved sound of the new system
an aftermarket audio/nav unit is actually a possibility in the near future...and im saving up for probably the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 or the MMMCS

as to the door speakers, i havent touched them yet...and yes it has began to rattle (big time)[]. sound deadening is up on my to do list
and ill probably do it as soon as i get my speakers.
fabricating a door enclosure is a good idea, i think and i llhave to look into that. thanks

thanks again for the inputs