Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

For all those with an 07 outlander that "clunks" from the front end...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Default RE: For all those with an 07 outlander that "clunks" from the front end...

ORIGINAL: fr8dog69

Just picked up my 07 Outlander and haven't heard the clunk yet. Mine is a 12/06 build from the "Z" Okazaki Plant. I do have the driver side mirror buzz, front doors window tint severely scratched upon first use of windows. No obvious dirt/sand on the window inside or out. Dealer said they have seen this problem on all outlanders they have sold. For some reason the rear window tint isn't affected? It looks like the front door window felt/rubber strips are very tight against the window. Not sure how thick the tint film is but I'm wondering if the dealer prep isn't to blame for this?

Overall, I'm very happy with the vehicle. It drives down the road very comfortably for a smaller suv. I think the Navigation package is a must have for this vehicle since it incorporates many different technologies and their functions. I plan to change the oil and filter at 500 miles and then again at 1500 or so changing over to synthetic. But I still plan to change the oil every 2500 to 3000 miles using either the factory oil filter or other quality ones such as wix/napa or purolater.Once Ican find a suitable synthetic for thetransaxle,transfer, and rear diff, I will drain and refill them as well.

JH
The plastic/rubber on the window is too hard causing the tint to screatch. I had the same problem and brought it back to the installer. He replaced the tint for free, however I did get charged a small amount for them to line some felt material on the rubber strips. He told me that usually happens on certain brands of cars that he's worked on, some more so than others. That completely solved the problem.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Default RE: For all those with an 07 outlander that "clunks" from the front end...

I took my 07 XLS in due to a clunking from the front end and wind noise on the drivers side.I told them about this service bulletin and they said they would take care of it. The next day I go in and they say that bulletin didn't apply and they just tightened some things. (eh?) and they ordered a new mirror for the wind noise.Well the clunking noise is still there and now I'm at an impasse at what to do since they blew me off the first time. I guess I will just drive across town to another dealer.[/align]

Old 03-04-2007, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the window tint. I'll take it back to the dealer and see if their tint guy can put some felt on the rubber strips and re-tint the front windows. Thanks again.

JH

Old 03-05-2007, 03:17 AM

Well, I heard the clunk in the front end for the first time tonight. My wife was turning the wheel hard to the left and then back when I heard it. I guess I'll be calling the dealership and have them order some of those updated wheel bearings and snaprings. Fun fun fun. :-)

2007 Outlander XLS AWD

JH

Old 03-07-2007, 03:08 PM

As for "tightening" the ball bearing joints... COME ON!! tell the lazy bums to CHANGE the part. If not, find another Mitsu dealership. I am about to change mine, since it's a Mitsu-Kia dealer and they spend like everyday working on the Kias (Kia = Krap). They have changed my joints and it didn't do it for me. I guess if the "clunking noise" is heard by turning, then yeah, it's the joints. If it is a cluncking noise once everytime you turn the car on and move forward, then it's either the ABS testing (as some have pointed out) or some more sinister problem that hjas not YET been uncovered. [:-] Dude, my tint got scratched too, but I tell you, that is because your tint guy got dust inside the window. He/she need to use that "spatula" to clear off the sand that got inside. Also do not row the window ALL the way down and you will be ok. I usually leave1" of the window up at all times to keep the sand/dust from getting inside the window and then when I roll it up, the tight rubber in the window causes it to scratch. Like I said, keep the windows up 1" and you should be oooooookay.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:14 PM

I went today to have them hear the sound so they could order the parts. They took the car in and came back 10 mins later and said they had a set of wheel bearings there and they could do it on spot but it would take 2 hours. I said ok so I didnt have to take another trip. Its a 45 min ride about 30 miles each way. 1 hour and 10 mins later it was done and I drove it to the nearest parking lot and tried to make it clunk and I couldnt. The funny thing is there was 2 other 07 outlanders in the bays. I dont know if they were all getting the wheel bearings done or not.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:47 PM

WYMAC, great piece there, excellent advice for those that want their fronts tinted. I'l be sure to keep that in mind.
BTW, christian, your dead on, what the hell is tightening that gonna fix. And besides, how in the hell to you tighten ball bearing joints, its not like their bolted together, the are cast from aluminum or steal, and the bearings get pressed into them... what the ell was that dealer thinking.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:38 AM

ManyBrews,

Thanks for posting the TSB, I printed the page and brought it to the dealer today, they drove it then ordered the bearing kit. No sweat, so far.

Mike

Old 03-14-2007, 01:44 AM

My service tech said that all dealerships got it, but my sales person said they didnt.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:51 AM

Service bulletins dont go to sales departments. They get sales bulletins.

Quick Reply: For all those with an 07 outlander that "clunks" from the front end...