Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Anybody opend theire headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Default Anybody opend theire headlights??

Would like to open the headlights to remove the ugly amber reflex in there.

But Im wery concernd about the plastic headlamp glas (plastic) to crack when I do this.

They are xenon too so they wont be cheap to replase if I f¤% up

Anybody who could help me?

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Default RE: Anybody opend theire headlights??

Good luck breaking it. I think they are glued and not user serviceable. Some manufacturers used to make replacement glass for their headlamp assemblies though, not in this case.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 AM

I know of a Japanese dude who did his lights from scratch, like he took a piece of plastic and reshaped it into the headlights and all. I'll try looking for his tutorial. I had it around last week...

Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 AM

you can "bake" headlights/tail lights to soften the adhesive allowing the lense to be pryed off.

before attempting do alot of reseach.

the lights can be ruined if heated too quickly or too hot.

it can be done though. i personally have only done it on a chevy suburban.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:53 PM

I can imagine the whole headlight assemblt melting i my oven

Just kidding, I know i have to bake them or heat them, but I dont know how hot the oven needs too be.

My second thaught about this is that it should be posibel to "cut" through the glue with a modifyed soldering gun or the like.

Maby the thingies that kids use to burn in wood could work.

Have to think this through before i start.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 PM

Go to you back porch to that gas grill that costs more then the stove in your house turn on all 4 burners on high preheat to 1000 degrees F place head light in over, return in 20 minutes result is headlights in a puddle you now have access to the inside now all you have to do is pour the the melted plastic in a mold and make a new headlight. And oh ya throw away your great grill cause its not covered in plastic. :'(

Old 09-17-2008, 11:26 PM

I actualy orderd a new grille today

And by the way I dont have a gas grill.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:29 PM

has anyone else confirmed hat the headlights are plastic wlded or just siliconed?

Old 01-23-2009, 06:11 AM

I use to own a 95 eclipse. I took the head lights and put them in the oven at 350 degrees for a few minutes to let the glue melt. I forget exactly how long it took. I then took the head light out and peeled the lens off the back of the head light. It doesnt just fall apart real easy. You kind of have to really dig in with a screw driver. I had a spare pair of lights that cost me 20$ each so I wasnt worried on messing them up. But it went well nothing melted or warped and they came right apart. I toss them back in for a few to warm up the glue again and i also added someclear silicon since I didnt have any kind of glue on hand and I am a plumber haha. It never discolored or was the silicon visible.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: antlip

I use to own a 95 eclipse. I took the head lights and put them in the oven at 350 degrees for a few minutes to let the glue melt. I forget exactly how long it took. I then took the head light out and peeled the lens off the back of the head light. It doesnt just fall apart real easy. You kind of have to really dig in with a screw driver. I had a spare pair of lights that cost me 20$ each so I wasnt worried on messing them up. But it went well nothing melted or warped and they came right apart. I toss them back in for a few to warm up the glue again and i also added someclear silicon since I didnt have any kind of glue on hand and I am a plumber haha. It never discolored or was the silicon visible.

Woah, I gotta step in on this one, 350 is fine for a pizza but ridiculous for a headlight.

headlight and taillight silicone is more plyable when you go for 200deg at about 5-10 minutes. some maybe longer but if you do go higher heat you can go up a few degrees, this is notsomething you risk or play around with.

HIDplanet.com/forums has more info on headlight opening.

Quick Reply: Anybody opend theire headlights??