Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Anyone else prefer CVT now over traditional auto?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016 | 12:10 PM
|
Default Anyone else prefer CVT now over traditional auto?

Been very happy with the CVT in my 2016 Outlander. I think the problem is that they are usually connected to smaller engines. I'm bummed I can't get a Outlander V6 with one, but it with the 2.4 moves my Outlander around very well. I just noticed it's a little bit easier to speed on accident due to the smoothness and "single" speed...

Old 10-26-2016 | 11:27 AM

My outlander has traditional automatic. My Impreza has a CVT. My only con is when first accelerating...just feels like slip sliding on ice. Engine revs a little high, but you aren't moving too fast....then all of a sudden you are moving faster, but engine revs don't change. Just kind of odd.

Old 10-26-2016 | 08:57 PM

I'm getting accustomed to the shift points and am learning how to get it to do what I want when I want it to. If I had a choice I would go with the normal 6 speed trans with paddle shift.

Old 10-26-2016 | 11:21 PM
|

I mainly like how it pulls while cruising. If I need to pass, I put it in sporty driving mode so there are no "shift points". If I need to jump of the line, it's a bit slow, but it's not really that bad. I also mainly drive in FWD mode so it puts a little more power to the wheels.

I don't really notice anything odd with the CVT in the with 2016 Outlander. Some times it feels like it wants to pull still when I'm starting to release the gas a little, but I'm ok with it. Rather have that then cut power too fast.

I haven't driven it much in poor weather so once we get some snow again, I'd be interested to see how I like driving it vs a manual or standard auto in snow.

My only other complaint is that they should remove the "shift points", but sporty driving mode does this so I guess it's not a big deal. Also would like to see a bigger engine connected to the CVT for better off the line performance, but for 99.9% of the driving I do, mainly cruising and light maneuvering, I've been very pleased.

Old 10-27-2016 | 11:23 AM

My '13 Outlander SE is my first CVT equipped vehicle - at first, it was weird, and odd, but I have come to enjoy the quirky engine braking and "shuddering" when accelerating - I like that it's different from most.
So, I've come to like it.

Old 10-28-2016 | 11:53 PM

I'd rather have a traditional auto.

Old 12-12-2016 | 08:06 AM

I dont mind driving an auto but having never owned an auto and always having owned manual gearboxes I find even a normal auto seems to feel odd. The CVT would be too weird for me I think. I can see an Auto or CVT being good for towing a caravan or trailer but for normal use it would be too odd for me...

Old 12-12-2016 | 12:41 PM
|

Originally Posted by racerx67
I dont mind driving an auto but having never owned an auto and always having owned manual gearboxes I find even a normal auto seems to feel odd. The CVT would be too weird for me I think. I can see an Auto or CVT being good for towing a caravan or trailer but for normal use it would be too odd for me...
Well, I've been driving a manual 99 Eclipse GS-T. Before that, I've driven several autos and one other car with a CVT. I've never really left like the CVT in the Outlander "grabbed the wrong gear". I can't stand a tradition auto when it prematurely grabs the next gear and bogs the car down just to hit the gas further and have to down shift...

Old 12-12-2016 | 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Truwarrior22
Well, I've been driving a manual 99 Eclipse GS-T. Before that, I've driven several autos and one other car with a CVT. I've never really left like the CVT in the Outlander "grabbed the wrong gear". I can't stand a tradition auto when it prematurely grabs the next gear and bogs the car down just to hit the gas further and have to down shift...
The CVT seems to sound like a slipping clutch... haha... But its the future I guess...

Old 12-12-2016 | 06:16 PM
|

Originally Posted by racerx67
The CVT seems to sound like a slipping clutch... haha... But its the future I guess...
Lol, perhaps, but it actually moves it forward nicely.

I don't know how I would like it in a sports car. I guess it depends how it programmed.

Quick Reply: Anyone else prefer CVT now over traditional auto?