Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Apple carplay or android auto for 2016 outlander?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:15 PM

is there a possibility we can get a software update later and have this feature? is there a compability issue?

Old 09-23-2016, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by harezmi
is there a possibility we can get a software update later and have this feature? is there a compability issue?
Anything is possible but will it happen. The head units run on Linux I'm sure so if it is indeed an onboard "computer" running Linux I'm sure adding Apple Carplay and/or Android Auto is possible. It's software driven.

The big question is will Mitsubishi re-write the software for the upgrade. I have a friend that bought a 2016 Mustang and was told that Carplay would be coming free in a software upgrade. I've been a loyal Mitsubishi customer but they really need to step up with electronics.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:51 PM

Well so much for the argument from Mitsubishi that Carplay and Android Auto require a new head unit hence no go on 2016. Picture from their website sure as heck looks a lot like the same head unit that is in my 2016 SEL with navigation.
Was "told" when we bought it that Mitsubishi would be providing an upgrade to the 2016. Yeah I know- it was a salesman
Calling BS here.....

Attached Thumbnails Apple carplay or android auto for 2016 outlander?-mitsuaudio.jpg  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:02 AM
Default Mitsubishi outlander exceed zk my16

Originally Posted by frankc98376
I have a 2016 with MMCS and Nav. I'm hoping that they offer an update to include it. I read that 2016 Pajero has it and 2017 Mirage will have it.

Mitsubishi is working hard to bill the Outlander as their "flagship" vehicle (certainly can be the highest price). Why wouldn't they offer it there first??

I paid close to 40K for my Outlander and I can get the new features on a 16K 2017 Mirage?? Come on Mitsubishi- wake up!!!

Hi Mate, Did you find any way for Carplay in MY16

Old 04-18-2017, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MNIQ
I'm also anxiously waiting on this as well. I'm pretty sure it's not coming for free and won't be exactly cheap. I'd like to at least see the option to begin to consider it as a replacement.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by MNIQ
Have heard nothing and don't expect to hear anything. Appears Mitsubishi doesn't care a whole lot about customers after a car is purchased. We had a 2014 and upgraded to a 2016 for the enhancements to the car. We opted for several add on packages and pretty much maxed out the options on an SEL. We wanted the CVT and after driving the GT weren't convinced that the engine and six speed made enough difference.

I've heard a number of excuses from it's Apple's fault to it would require a new head unit. Not surprisingly the head unit I posted a pic of above looks a lot like mine. I work in the IT industry and know that the system runs on Linux and pretty much anything can be designed if Mitsubishi wanted to. The units are software driven and a software upgrade could be written I'm sure to accommodate Carplay. I'm surprised Apple isn't offering to assist in the upgrade.

I have a friend that bought a Mustang pre Carplay and has been told that an upgrade is forthcoming to allow Carplay (supposedly at no cost to the owner).

I love my Outlander but Mitsubishi appears to be a lot less loyal to their customers than the customers are to Mitsubishi. My 2014 tail lights were replaced several times under warranty due to water inside them. Every time the dealer had to fight to replace them as Mitsubishi claimed that water in the tail lights was normal. Was told by a friend at a dealer that Mitsubishi is the absolute worst for warranty claims- they often fight the claims.

So I really don't expect to see even a paid upgrade offered- evidently Mitsubishi hopes that everyone that wants Carplay will trade their 2016's in for a 2017.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by frankc98376
I've heard a number of excuses from it's Apple's fault to it would require a new head unit. Not surprisingly the head unit I posted a pic of above looks a lot like mine.
I'm even interested in the new head unit. I might have a gripe as well once I knew how much it would cost, but I need step one. Were you ever quoted what a new head unit would cost?

Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Car manufacture do not make head units. Mitsubishi, contracted Rockford Fosgate (may have other providers for different cars or lower teir models) to make it but to Mitsui’s (bean counter) specs.

I believe the <2016 RF head unit has built-in in GPS? Whereas the >2017 had it removed and instead enable carplay/android so the GPS and a lot of functions effectively depends on your phone. If so, it is a tall-tell sign there are some hardware changes. Just b/c the face look the same does not mean the internals are the same (see iPhone X vs “S”X). This also means the software drivers and libraries will likely be different. Depending on the software developer at RF there may or may not be dependencies which impact how it works or not, which ultimately no one has tested.

My guess is that the 2016 head unit’s firmware and/or software can be flashed to enable carplay/android out the box. The solution would come from RF but it is on Mitsubishi to push RF to release it. However, there is likely a development (and te$ting!) cost that Mitsubishi does not want to take so it’ll likely never happened. Also keep in mind that Mitsubishi likely uses the ‘enhance’ feature of carplay/android to differentiate their 2017 product from <2016. They have no motivation to offer a free solution as this would turn a potentially new 2017 buyer (who want that feature) to shop for used 2016… As consumers, if everyone band together and send a message to Mitsubishi Corp and RF, then at least there’s a glimmer of hope. OR you can try to reach out to RF yourself to see what they can do for you.

http://www.rockford fosgate.com/products/details/2014-current-outlander

Under SUPPORT:

Contact Support
Your Mitsubishi dealer is your first and primary contact for answering questions and resolving problems. Should the dealer or vehicle manufacturer not be able to resolve your issue, we are willing to offer our assistance as well. Our customer service team can be contacted at (800) 669-9899 during normal business hours.

Last edited by silentnoise713; 04-19-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by silentnoise713
Car manufacture do not make head units. Mitsubishi, contracted Rockford Fosgate (may have other providers for different cars or lower teir models) to make it but to Mitsui’s (bean counter) specs.

I believe the <2016 RF head unit has built-in in GPS? Whereas the >2017 had it removed and instead enable carplay/android so the GPS and a lot of functions effectively depends on your phone. If so, it is a tall-tell sign there are some hardware changes. Just b/c the face look the same does not mean the internals are the same (see iPhone X vs “S”X). This also means the software drivers and libraries will likely be different. Depending on the software developer at RF there may or may not be dependencies which impact how it works or not, which ultimately no one has tested.

My guess is that the 2016 head unit’s firmware and/or software can be flashed to enable carplay/android out the box. The solution would come from RF but it is on Mitsubishi to push RF to release it. However, there is likely a development (and te$ting!) cost that Mitsubishi does not want to take so it’ll likely never happened. Also keep in mind that Mitsubishi likely uses the ‘enhance’ feature of carplay/android to differentiate their 2017 product from <2016. They have no motivation to offer a free solution as this would turn a potentially new 2017 buyer (who want that feature) to shop for used 2016… As consumers, if everyone band together and send a message to Mitsubishi Corp and RF, then at least there’s a glimmer of hope. OR you can try to reach out to RF yourself to see what they can do for you.

http://www.rockford fosgate.com/products/details/2014-current-outlander

Under SUPPORT:

Contact Support
Your Mitsubishi dealer is your first and primary contact for answering questions and resolving problems. Should the dealer or vehicle manufacturer not be able to resolve your issue, we are willing to offer our assistance as well. Our customer service team can be contacted at (800) 669-9899 during normal business hours.
On the RF Outlander page click on "Submit a bright idea"

Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Reply from RF is that they build some of the hardware for Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi does the rest. They said I need to contact Mitsubishi- so sent them the same email. Who wants to bet that Mitsubishi tells me to contact RF?

Quick Reply: Apple carplay or android auto for 2016 outlander?