Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

ASC Problem this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Default ASC Problem this morning

The outlander was showing -29C(-20F) this morning, Went to take my kid to daycare and return home, it's started ok, drove to daycare about 2.5 KM, every thing is fine.got back in the car started it (the car was off for less than 5 minutes),The ASC Warning come on, and the LCD screen was cycling through, "ASC Maintenance required" and"Slow down", the Check engine came on. And the car could not go faster than about 40KM/h. I started limping back home, and about halfway it seem to clear up. Now the only warning I have is the check engine. I assume that this was a temporary problem because of the cold. The check engine is still on, but I expect it to self-reset. I'm thinking of just ignoring it for now.
Does anybody think that I should be more concerned?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Default RE: ASC Problem this morning

Your check engine light isnt going to just go off. You threw an error code. If you want you can pull the battery terminal off put it back on and let the car reset its self that way. Not sure if the light is going to come back on or not. If your still under warrenty why not take it in?

Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 AM

I had exactly the same problem in Gatineau Quebec this morning. -30 degrees Celsius. I spoke to 2 Mitsubishi dealerships. Bank Street Mitsubishi wanted me to bring the car in right away but I was reluctant considering that it is likely false codes due to cold and humidty in the sensors. Rallye Mitsubishi in Gatineau reassured me 100% that it was not necessary to come in.

They said that they had many calls for this exact problem this morning and that there is NO concern at all. He told me exactly what I was thinking about the sensors and that there was likely no long-lasting issues. Like you, mine stopped displaying the messages about the ASC, SLOW DOWN, SERVICE REQUIRED in bright yellow. However, the check engine light is still on. The service manager told me me that it might turn off by itself within 40 fresh cranks of the engine. The ECU needs to see no problems from the sensors and it might turn the code off. If it does not, he told me to simply come in and they will do a scan and reset.

Not to WORRY! :-)

Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 PM

I used the car at lunch time, seems like the check engine cleared by itself.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 PM

There is a TSB for this issue. Some relays need to change.

http://outlander.freeforums.org/tsb-...tart-t209.html

Open black relays box under the hood. If you don't see four green relays - you should to visit the dealer..
This problem may happen when you drive @ cold weather on short distances.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the posting on the TSB. I will check my fuse box under the hood later to see which relays I do have.

Thanks

Dan

Old 01-16-2009, 03:50 PM

I had this problem too last year during the same time. The dealer here referred to the TSB, and changed by relays due to the condensation. No problems anymore.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:22 AM

ive had the relay TSB applied to my vehicle and i have not had this problem even starting in -50 ambient temperature.