Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

ASC service warning came up today

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Default ASC service warning came up today

Hey all,

I just thought I posted this but it doesn't look like it did, so I apologize if this gets posted twice...

I have a 2009 outlander 4wd 120,000km. In the snow today, I got a warning to service my ASC...It automatically kicked the ASC OFF (I always have it on). This was after driving uphill through some deep snow on a road that wasn't cleared yet in 4wd lock (about 4 km total in 4wd lock).

I've had this outlander for 4 years and not once has this ever happened (and it's been through worse).

Has anyone else had their ASC system kick off and then be told to get it checked/serviced? I am getting a yellow icon of a car slipping with an exclamation point which in the manual means to get the ASC serviced. Any idea what might cause this (packed snow somewhere on a sensor, etc)?

Do you think after it being parked overnight things might go back to normal?

oh and earlier when I started the car, it sounded like the fan was really struggling then ok, then struggling, then ok. Then it was normal. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Thanks everyone,
DAve

Last edited by newoutlanderfan; 12-18-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 PM

#1 suspect is ABS wheel sensor connection. Check brake fluid sensor connectivity as well.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
#1 suspect is ABS wheel sensor connection. Check brake fluid sensor connectivity as well.

sooooo, how do I check those?

Could air in the brake system cause this? I'm pretty sure a bit of air is still in there since the summer after a mishap with the MC going dry.

It seems the ABS seems to still work ok and no ABS warning lights....

This isn't going to affect braking is it? I know it will affect ASC obviously but will it affect anything else?

So will this just resolve itself on it's own by chance?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-18-2013, 10:28 PM

When ABS/ASC brain does not see a rotation on one of the wheels it throws an error and stops working. It could be by damaged ABS sensor, disrupted harness connectivity or damaged wheel bearing magnetic stripe.

If unreliable connection works again the error will go away itself after couple minutes of driving.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:08 AM

When ABS/ASC brain does not see a rotation on one of the wheels it throws an error and stops working. It could be by damaged ABS sensor, disrupted harness connectivity or damaged wheel bearing magnetic stripe.

If unreliable connection works again the error will go away itself after couple minutes of driving.

OK, thanks for the info...

Would you know by any chance this may have been caused by some air in the ABS system somehow?

I guess I gotta take it in..probably NOT covered under the powertrain warranty right?

Old 12-19-2013, 07:00 AM

You were right....This morning it was still there but then went back to normal on my drive to work. So do you think this is a bad connection that should get checked or something that just tripped the error and now should be ok? I guess if it triggers again I'll take it in....

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 AM

Once in my Mazda I got an ABS warning when I drove through some deep snow... I thought I was in deep something else because that could be an expensive problem to fix :P
Fortunately I just had to turn the car off and back on and the error cleared...

I think if the vehicle speed and the wheel speed are completely off because a sensor is jammed up with snow it will throw that error and turn off everything associated with those sensors so it doesn't cause an accident while driving.

It's possible it could be a loose connection, if you can take it somewhere warm to melt the snow off it for a few hours I would do that before taking it to a mechanic it may be fine...If after that it's still giving errors you may have to take it in and get it looked at.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:11 PM
Exclamation ASC and ABS warning

My 07 Outlander flashed up ASC problem and went into limp mode. Unless the braking system was acting up, the engine appeared to cut power but i could crawl home since it happened just round the corner from my home.

Thanks to the advice in this forum i disconnected the battery for 10 minutes or so to re-set the onboard computer. After re-connecting the battery I turned the key in the ignition half way to turn the electrics on. At this point i held the ASC button (below the steering wheel on the driver window side on my version) down for several seconds until ASC OFF came up on the dash. Then i went ahead and started the engine.
Like others have discovered in this forum - the car runs totally fine apart from the large warning displayed all the time on the dash display, flashing 4WD / Lock, SERVICE REQUIRED, ABS etc, etc. It beeps a lot in the first couple of minutes of driving but then goes silent.
It seems that one or more of the ABS sensors are dirty, maybe a sensor is broken. No way to know until my mechanic can do a computer / diagnostic test. Anyway if a sensor is dirty it's an easy job for a mechanic to remove, clean and replace. So it means driving the car without ASC and ABS. Neither of these are needed except for the rare occasions one has to emergency brake or swerve violenty. Changing from 2WD to 4WD seems to still be working fine from the feel of the wheels on gravel.

I really appreciate this forum - it got me out of what appeared to be a big problem, especially if the car had remained in limp mode. So a big thank you to everyone for contributing advice and experience.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:11 PM

Had the same problem and it ended up being a faulty abs wheel speed sensor. Make sure to read the codes first, don't just replace all abs sensors and hope it will fix the problem. Here is a great guide that helped me troubleshoot my problem:

https://www.youcanic.com/guide/mitsu...ystem-disabled

Old 08-31-2021, 04:50 PM
Angry just bitchin

just took my 2009 outlander in to the dealer for the same asc off code. they want $3000 or so to repair it. i only have 760oo miles on it they said it may make it so the auto brake system work like the old days. too bad it isn't a recall issue, they just finished
fixing all the recalls, had the car foe a week!

Quick Reply: ASC service warning came up today