Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Automatic transaxle fluid change procedure

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:59 PM

The 2.4L motors with a CVT are just drain and fill.. NO joke, 3qts come out off the drain plug, and you add 4qts, also the dealer adds 1 can of BQ CVT to the case and that's it, I have a friend that is a Mitsubishi master mechanic, so I trust him he has been doing it for 27 years, also I know it sounds weird but only use Mitsubishi CVT fluid, or it can cause problems in the CVT, and they don't Rebuild CVTS they just replace them at the dealer...

Old 11-18-2015, 09:27 AM

The only catch here is that there is an electronic reset that is performed in the computer that requires a full function/dealer level scan tool to reset. This is the CVT oil degradation monitor. All this does is make a calculated measurement of the wear on the fluid based on your driving conditions; it is OK to not reset it only being at 48k, however it is strongly recommended that you have it reset anyway, as you may set off the oil quality warning before your next service (and then if you reset it at that point the fluid is no longer new, so the monitor is off in the other direction then etc).

Read more: outlander cvt transmission fluid change

Old 11-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Default Tip tonic shift always shows 5 and not moving

I have problem with my outlander 2008

yesterday while driving for a short distance i get service required wronging alarm and car sound it became very high and transmission very hard, then i tried to shift the gear to tip tonic the shift always shows 5 on the screen and the shift doesn't change from 5 to 4,3,2 or 1 and vice versa

after that i have to stop the car more than an hour but the problem still same.

Please help

Old 12-02-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo351
FYI for those with V6 Auto Transmissions (mine is an 08 XLS). I've been reading related posts and have been putting it off so I thought I would share since it's done. I used a fluid extractor to pump it out from the fill tube. Got 4.25L out this way and used a small long funnel to put the same back in. I used OEM J2 fluid (13.82 CAN$ per bottle + Tax). From what I gathered this is what the dealers are doing. I dealt with two dealerships and both told me I would need 5 bottles for a fluid change with some left over.
What model of fluid extractor did you use and where did you pick it up?

Old 12-03-2015, 01:20 PM

Hi, Picked it up from Princess Auto on sale.

Powerfist 7-1/2 Litre Manual Fluid Extractor | Princess Auto

Old 02-21-2016, 01:21 AM

does anyone happen to have the part number for a new drain plug gasket for the transmission. Thanks

Also, you add the fluid through the "Oil filter Tube"? Is that the dipstick tube?

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 02-21-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT
does anyone happen to have the part number for a new drain plug gasket for the transmission. Thanks

Also, you add the fluid through the "Oil filter Tube"? Is that the dipstick tube?
Yes. The dipstick tube has a screen at the end of it, there's no actual filter though.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:20 PM

Hi.. has anyone really done it per the procedure on here, I am still scared about the part where you run the engine to purge the drain fluid out. You need to stop it as soon as the fluid runs out. So that means, you could possibly damage something if not careful, and inferior to a flush machine that continuously feed it fluid.

I asked some opinion and they told me they would never do this (running to pump fluid out) no matter what the manual says

siphoning using a fluid extractor only gets a part of it. maybe run the engine and siphon another batch and call it good.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 PM

Yes, i did. I ran it until the oil started to dribble out, then repeated again. I wouldn't worry about the pump too much because the parts still have oil on them, they won't wear through until you've run them dry for a while and they start to heat up.

It's a 2 man job, 1 to run the car, the other to watch the oil flow.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:29 PM

^^ thanks gggplaya.

Did you end up adding almost 10 quarts of new fluid ?

Also was hose shown to disconnect the correct one? because the other person said he had to disconnect the other hose instead.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Automatic transaxle fluid change procedure