Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

AWC & S-AWC Explaination

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Default AWC & S-AWC Explaination

I always see posts with people asking what AWC is and how it works. I work at a dealership and we get "Hot Sheets" explaining the technologies. I tried posting a copy of the pdf but it was to big so I cut and pasted the info. The info here is only for the systems used on the RVR / Outlander Sport and Outlander. I will post the explainations for the Evo and Ralliart systems in their forums.

UNDERSTANDING ALL-WHEEL CONTROL (AWC) – LEVEL I (LEVEL 2 is in Ralliart)
The most affordable vehicle in the Mitsubishi line-up with AWC is the RVR. The AWC system employed by the RVR is similar to the system used in the All-Wheel-Control (AWC) Outlander ES & LS. It uses an electronically controlled series of clutches to direct torque from the front axle to the rear axle when slip is detected.

AWC as used in these applications has three settings:
2WD – for economical driving on normal dry roads and freeways.
4WD AUTO – for enhanced traction, high speed stability and predictable handling.
4WD LOCK – for driving in slippery conditions such as on snow-covered roads or sand when slip is anticipated and maximum traction is required.
Competitive Note: 4WD Auto is comparable to the full-time AWD system utilized in Subaru’s vehicle line-up.

UNDERSTANDING SUPER ALL-WhEEL CONTROL (S-AWC) – LEVEL I (Level 2 is Evolution)
Super All-Wheel Control builds on the Mitsubishi Motors AWC technology with the addition of torque vectoring capabilities.
Q.What is torque vectoring?
A.Torque vectoring is the ability to send the torque from left to right.This is done to manage understeer or oversteer – without applying the brakes (as done with stability control). It is just one more way that our vehicles have been developed to deliver a superior driving experience.
The Outlander XLS features S-AWC with torque vectoring capabilities at the front axle. The Active Front Differential (AFD) manages the left/right torque split, directing torque to the outside front wheel when understeer is detected. This reduces understeer and enhances the dynamic handling capabilities of the Outlander XLS.
As with conventional AWD systems the front to rear torque split is managed by the electronic coupling in the rear differential. The benefits are:
-Improved cornering performance
-Improved stability
-Enhanced road performance
The Outlander XLS delivers exceptional capabilities as the result of one of the most sophisticated all-wheel drive systems in the segment.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:38 PM

S-awc begian in 2011 XLS models only correct?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:43 PM

No... In 2010 on the XLS in Canada and on the GT is the USA

Old 07-15-2011, 01:21 PM

claude_a is right, i have the 2010 outlander gt with s-awc

cool info OP! thanks!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:19 PM

Bender,

maybe you know why non-XLS/GT Outlanders have Electronically Controlled 4 Wheel Drive, while RVR/Outlander Sport have AWC?

Did Mitsubishi changed something on the latters?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 AM

They changed the name to hide the fact that the RVR has a simpler, less sophisticated system then even the standard Outlander.

In fact all Mitsubishi system are labeled AWC in the technical write-ups.

Just go back to the Powerpoint presentation we perused late last year it cover most of the systems.
You made a pdf out of it if I remember right.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
Bender,

maybe you know why non-XLS/GT Outlanders have Electronically Controlled 4 Wheel Drive, while RVR/Outlander Sport have AWC?

Did Mitsubishi changed something on the latters?
The system in the RVR / Outlander Sport is basically the same as the one used in the Outlander ES / LS. They are just doing a better job of marketing the AWC system.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM

Does this mean that the only difference between the Outlander Sport AWC vs the Outlander GT S-AWC is the torque vectoring on the FRONT axle?

I thought my Outlander Sport had some sort of torque vectoring, or maybe it's just the confidence from thinking that I had it. It handles superbly on the snow - we have a snowstorm going on in Washington state and I've been driving my car every day with zero problems on the unplowed roads around here (we don't get much snow and the cities does not have enough equipment to clear this record amount of snow we got in the last few days).

Been driving around in about 4-8 inches of snow and today it has turned into slush and ice. I'm impressed at the way my car handles and corrects itself when there's a bit of slip, especially while taking turns (maybe the fact that I'm not entirely a novice when it comes to driving properly in the snow helps as well..)

Old 01-20-2012, 06:40 AM

The Outlander Sport, or RVR as we know it in Canada, does not have torque vectoring. That being said it is still among the very best systems in the world. The 4WD mode works exactly like Subaru's symetrical AWD. Ours is better because we have the ability to lock the center diff for maximum traction in extreme conditions. I have a '09 XLS with the AWC system and it has been battle tested in our eastern Canadian winters pleanty of times.

The big difference between the S-AWC and the AWC isn't just the torque vectoring though, it's as much about the number of parameters it uses to determin where to send the power. The AWC uses less than 5 and the S-AWC uses more than 30. It is just a very smart system.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM

there is no center diff in the '07-'09 Outlander. the vehicle adjusts how much power to send to the rear wheels by an electronic clutch system just in front of the rear diff, see page 27B-3 in the service manual.

Quick Reply: AWC & S-AWC Explaination