Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Back to square one with tires -ugh

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 AM
Default Back to square one with tires -ugh

Hey all,

So I was waiting on some BF Goodrich Long Trail TA Tour (215/70/16 H rated) to replace my OEM yokos (H rated). After waiting a month and a bit, they tell me the new H rated tires aren't coming out until next september (even though they told me THIS september)

My earlier posts were asking all the issues of putting a lower rated tire on the outlander (I have a 2009 outlander 4wd V6). Two places where I live won't do it and at this size, there are only a few H rated ones to choose from.

Can you guys pitch in and tell me which tires you replaced your 16 inch YOKOHAMA GO33 with? I have dedicated winters so I just needs a 3 season. I think I am going to have to go down to a T rated, so if you could tell me how it affects the handling (I am trying not to lose any handling), so I am wary of going to a T rated.

I am considering Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred (T rated), BF Goodrich Long Trail TA Tour (T rated), and Kumho Solus KL21 (H rated)

I don't want to go to an S rated.

Sorry for asking all this again, but they pulled the rug out from under me
Cheers,
Dave

Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Well, I will restate what I've said before. The T rated BF Goodrich Long Trail TA Touring tires I have do not handle any differently than the OEM Yokohamas on dry pavement. Can't speak to snow or wet handling because I'm here in Phoenix.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 AM

here are the tires that I put on a year or two ago:
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza LS&autoModClar=
They are T rated, but the transition from old to new tire was night and day. Now, the speed rating is just that...how fast the tire can be used at safely. It has nothing to do with handling.

Speaking to handling, the Duelers have much better traction in snow...they are amazing when braking...steering is pretty good. The worst downside is that they are Light Truck rated and they are heavier...so MPG goes down.

Don't let the price get you...I didn't pay that price when we bought them from Firestone.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:00 PM

I have an XLS so sizes are slightly different, but I now have Kelley Navigator Golds on - very impressed with roadholding and quiet noise, and not a bad price either. Should also wear well.

Prior to these I had Falken Ziex 912s - not bad, but wore out too quickly for my liking (totally done at 30k of mostly commuting)

Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kwanger
I have an XLS so sizes are slightly different, but I now have Kelley Navigator Golds on - very impressed with roadholding and quiet noise, and not a bad price either. Should also wear well.

Prior to these I had Falken Ziex 912s - not bad, but wore out too quickly for my liking (totally done at 30k of mostly commuting)
My Falken 912s also have been wearing out quite rapidly, especially on the outer edges, despite my regular rotation efforts (all four tires are wearing badly on the outer edges - is this an Outlander trait?) And I don't even have 20K miles yet. The suckers were supposed to have 40K mile warranty.

P.S. but they were great when they were new.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ruski
My Falken 912s also have been wearing out quite rapidly, especially on the outer edges, despite my regular rotation efforts (all four tires are wearing badly on the outer edges - is this an Outlander trait?) And I don't even have 20K miles yet. The suckers were supposed to have 40K mile warranty.

P.S. but they were great when they were new.
Have you checked your alignment? My OEM Yokohamas had 21,000 miles when I bought my BFG's and the wear on them was even across the treads. I have 7,000 miles on my BFG's and what little wear I have is even.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 PM

Right when I took the Falkens to be mounted, I got a four-wheel alignment to factory specs at a very reputable shop.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:39 AM

Hello!

Just bought a brand new Outlander V6 4wd and I replaced the 18"s with 185 km on the clock by 16" BFGoddrich All Terrain TA's and I love them! I was scared of them being noizy but I was surprised how quiet they were for All terrains!

Mitsu dealer gave me 4 tires and rims for winter and thet let me choose the tire I prefered too.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:35 AM

I have replaced my Geolandar G033 tires with Yokohama H/T-S G051 and couldn't be happier and I see that tirerack has dropped the price on them by over $25 per tire to $400 per set :S

Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051

Anyway, compared to G033, the G051 is as quiet and as fuel efficient plus it handles better especially in the rain. It has a deeper and more aggressive thread pattern than G033. G051s just look more massive. Also has pretty high marks on tirerack reviews.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 10-04-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ruski
Right when I took the Falkens to be mounted, I got a four-wheel alignment to factory specs at a very reputable shop.
Can't say I particularly noticed uneven treadwear with mine...they just plain wore out.

I also think the Ziex's are pretty good tires, but trouble with them is that they are rated pretty low for treadwear (360)....and are ideally at home on light low powered car, like civics etc.

The treadwear rating on my new Kelleys is 560, so I'm thinking/hoping they are going to do better.

Quick Reply: Back to square one with tires -ugh