Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Back to square one with tires -ugh

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 PM

I know of guys who put Falken Ziex 912s on 400HP GTOs...

360 treadwear is not that bad, but treadwear numbers from one manufacturer to another vary.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:15 AM

Has anyone tried Goodyear Fortera TripleTred on their Outlander (16")?

I want to get them, but the treadwear issue is stopping me. How some can say it is great treadwear while so many others say it's bald before 30,000 miles is beyond me. It's completely divided.

Anyone able to give their thoughts?

Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Well, I took a gamble and got the tripletreds - and it is a T rated.... They have a 30 day return policy. We get a lot of crazy weather (alot of rain escpecially here in Nova Scotia), so I think these will be good.

Thanks for putting up with all the questions. I even asked my insurance company about dropping a speed rating, and they didn't even know what a speed rating was.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 10-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Has anyone tried Goodyear Fortera TripleTred on their Outlander (16")?

I want to get them, but the treadwear issue is stopping me. How some can say it is great treadwear while so many others say it's bald before 30,000 miles is beyond me. It's completely divided.

Anyone able to give their thoughts?
I've actually had the Foretras Triple Tread before I have exchanged them for Yokohama Geolandar G051. Two problems with Foretras were road noise and increased fuel consumption. I drove on them for 3 weeks before returning them. Considering that they are not the cheapest of the bunch I was rather disappointed. I guess one big advantage of the Foretras TripleThread will definitely be winter performance, especially on the snow/ice because of its rather deep and aggressive tread pattern but then again, during last years massive NorEaster snow storm in NJ I was able to get by with the OEM Geolandars G033 where most people seemed to get stuck even in their SUVs, so I guess it also depends on the driver more than anything.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
I've actually had the Foretras Triple Tread before I have exchanged them for Yokohama Geolandar G051. Two problems with Foretras were road noise and increased fuel consumption. I drove on them for 3 weeks before returning them. Considering that they are not the cheapest of the bunch I was rather disappointed. I guess one big advantage of the Foretras TripleThread will definitely be winter performance, especially on the snow/ice because of its rather deep and aggressive tread pattern but then again, during last years massive NorEaster snow storm in NJ I was able to get by with the OEM Geolandars G033 where most people seemed to get stuck even in their SUVs, so I guess it also depends on the driver more than anything.

Hey,

So how do the GO51 handle compared to the original yoko GO33? I would think going down 2 speed ratings would make it mushy amd worse handling....

What about mpg?

Old 10-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Hey,

So how do the GO51 handle compared to the original yoko GO33? I would think going down 2 speed ratings would make it mushy amd worse handling....

What about mpg?
Actually in real life the G051 seem to be simply more sticky to the ground. I haven't tested it at 100 MPH as the fastest I really go around here is around 75-80 and they seem very stable and in constant control to the ground. On the other hand, SUVs/CUVs are really not built for speed to begin with. G051s are just more massive tahn G033s, have a deeper/more aggressive tread, and in the rain they don't slip like the G033 did especially in 2WD mode. Overall G051 are an improvement in every thing I can think of over OEM G033s, MPG is essentially the same although my G051 were filled with nitrogen. I don't know if nitrogen is a gimmick or not but according to specs G051s are a bit heavier per tire than G033 yet I didn't notice any drop in MPG. Look at tire rack ratings of G051 vs G033 (or every other tire for that matter, for the price it really is a bargain).

Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 PM

Hi, I'm shopping for new tires to replace stock 225/55r18 Goodyear Eagles on my 07 XLS, with 32K on them. Anybody with some input on Michelin Hydro-edge, Hankook Optimo H727 or Yokohama Avid TRZ ?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Default Time to replace my GO33's

I have a 2010 Outlander ES that just hit 40,000 miles and its time to replace the oem GO33's. I did put them to the test living in Buffalo, NY and putting 40,000 miles on in less than 2 years. I have no major complaints on the GO33's other than only getting 40,000 miles from them. They performed great in snow and had some slippage in heavy rain. I am currently looking at Continental Cross Contact LX20, it's a new tire that Continental just came out with a few months ago. Does anyone have any feedback on these tires?

Continental USA Car / Light Truck / SUV -NEW! CrossContact™ LX20

Thanks for any info.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 PM

Curious, now European Barum tires are available here. I am thinking about getting 16" Barum Polaris 3. The model (well, not 100% exactly, Polaris 2) is well-known to me, I've had those on 3 different cars back in Europe, was quite satisfied with them - once was totally impressed by being able to push-start my car with a dead battery rolling it on a solid (could hardly walk) ice!

Having Czech origin, the tires I've noticed at Dixie Mitsubishi are made in Romania - still in Europe, but definitely not the home for hight tech or high quality.

Any suggestions, is it worth?

Last edited by Vadimus; 10-27-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 PM

Why not Nokian for a winter tire? A friend/coworker who lives in Toronto swears by them.

Quick Reply: Back to square one with tires -ugh