Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

beating the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Default beating the brakes

so the other night, the wife and I had a decent little tiff, and so i made a quick run to the store...
on the way there, i drove at a pretty good clip, going around corners at twice what any sane person would,just trying to ease a little frustration... worked great.
then, on the way back, I got a brilliant idea...

ya know, it occasionally occurs to a person like me, that I would really like to know just how capable the machine I happen to be working with truly is...
not for the reason that most people have, like, so that they know what to expect should they ever need to use the limits of their vehicle... no not me... no sirreeeee at all. my reason is one of pure mechanical abuse... If I dont know how much it takes to break something, then i will never know how hard I can push it.

take for instance my new milwaukee v28 28 volt cordless tool set... most people would expect that with the cool lithium ion batteries, and the monster motor, it would be capable of tackaling anything in its path... me,I wanted to know for sure, so I ran it for about two weeks on a tile job, mixing thin-set... after those two weeks, going through 8 charges a day, and with the drill visably smoking, I deemed it as a medium usage drill, and only take it with me when I am going to be doing medium sized jobs... not that it wont mix 5 gallon buckets full of thin-set all day, just that if I have to, it will most likely destroy my drill... .

with that little bit of info clinging to your minds, let me click back over to my real reason for this post... the brakes on any 07/08 outie xls... FREAKIN WOW...
I tried every possible way to overheat them, make em fade, do anything, other than stop solid and sure... ya know what... after 6 100-0 full abs stops, about 10 80-0 stops, going into full abs mid corner, and alot of other non-sense, I have determined the brakes are pretty damn good... lets face it, the outie is no lightweight... granted, it is by far not the heaviest suv out there, but not the lightest machine ever to have four wheels for sure...

so after a good hour of pounding on the brakes as much as I could, I coasted into the driveway, hopped out, and to my amazement, ALL FOUR DISKS WERE GLOWING RED... and I do mean glowing...

my wife comes outside, takes one look at the car, and askes a very smart question, "honey, why is the car smoking"...

to which I replied "the brakes are bedded properly" and then I went to bed...

good night, great night... better brakes.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Banned
Default RE: beating the brakes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA awesome!!!

Are they warped at all? Even in the slightest?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 PM

Should've taken a picture... although I don't think anyone will see me doing that to let off some steam.

fun story though, would read again!!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:51 PM
tcp

Wow, that's brutal. I usually grab the mountain bike and climb hills until i hurt bad. You're almost cruel.[:@]

Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 PM

Yea man these brakes are pretty sweet. I had to jump on them twice in the last week because of people cutting across 2 lanes of highway traffic and almost cuasing a massive mile up. They dont lock up at all and stop you on a dime.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:23 AM

oddly enough, no, they arent warped even in the slightest... I thought for sure they would be, but no, not at all.

I guess I am a little cruel, but, at least I will always know the brakes are bedded properly... LOL...

and, that I am getting my monies worth... Sorry for no pics... I may go out, and perform some more abuse, purely in the intrest of science... of course, these tests sometimes need to be repeated...

for science.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:28 AM

for science huh? haha, i think ill break into the outlander forum for the first time to say its an interesting story, and wow, i just cant picture in my mind the brake discs glowing red out of heat!! amazing how the outies are

Old 09-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Banned

They dont warp when you heat them evenly like that : )

They wont ever warp again

Old 09-05-2007, 10:43 AM

It is not the heating that will warp them. It is the cooling when sitting still. The heat will not dissapate evenly when parked due to the calipers, which can cause warping. It would be recomended to let let your brakes cool while driving for a whilewhen heating the rotors to the level described above. Other problems that can arise from parking with red hotrotors is cooking the wheel bearings, boiling the brakefluid if there is any moisture in the line, and damaging any sealson the calipers and /orwheel bearings in the surrounding area.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Banned

Thank you captain obvious

Quick Reply: beating the brakes