Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

bent rim problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Default bent rim problem

Hello guys. I am new here but have an issue with my Outlander. I purchased my Outlander and it always had a little shake to it. After several trips to the dealership (starting when the vehicle had less than 2,000 miles) to get the issue resolved I finally gave up and figured it was bad tires. Well recently I had to replace one of the tires and the vibration got worse. Upon taking the vehicle to the store where the tire was purchased they told me I had a bent rim. Ok this is my first new car purchased..so here goes my couple of questions.

1. Does the warranty cover the rims?
2. Because this has been shown to be a existing issue could it be that Mitsubishi is having issues with their rims like they were with the Eclipse rims?

I have had this vehicle since it had less than thirty miles on it. I have never driven it rough or hit a pothole/curb. What would cause the rim to be bent? I am currently looking for a stock rim for it so that I dont ruin the tires.

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. By the way this is a great site..when I can afford to do aftermarket stuff on it, this will definately be a place I will look for information.

Thanks,
Angie
"Redneckchick"

Old 04-05-2006, 01:05 AM
drh
Default RE: bent rim problem

how bent is it? Any slight change in the shape of the rim can cause an off balance of the wheel obviously causing faster tire wear. I would atleast take it to the dealer and have them look at, if youve hit anything I would imagine there to be some scuffs or something on the rim, unless you were running the tires really low and hit a pot hole, but you would have been able to really feel that, who knows, but thats my opinion, I havent had much to do with the dealers, since my 04 is already past manufacturers warrarnty. Good luck let us know what happens.. check ebay for the rim if all else fails. sorry that ya have to deal with it. Rednecks are from texas hehehehe.. I should know.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:25 AM

I am having wap-wap-wap sounds with at least one of wheels and 3 independent places indicated that it is at least one of my tires. The noise is not only the wap-wap-wap, but also what seems like a grinding sound. One of these places said they found ridges in at least one of my tires - so I guess they may be out of round, although I have not really confirmed that it is tires that are bad. I just got these BF Goodrich Traction T/A tires last September!

But, you bring up a good point with the rims. Rims could be a problem too.

Also, in your case, any chance that the place that changed your tires caused the rim problem, or at least made it worse? Droppiing it or something? Seems to have gotten worse after you got your tire changed.

- TinkerMan

Old 04-05-2006, 12:31 PM
JMC

Angie.......the dealership should take care of this problem. There is no way you should have to take care of this by yourself. I can't see this not being under warranty....
Please let us know what happens.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:31 PM

If the rim looks clean, the dealer needs to test drive and diagnose the problem. Do not go anywhere but the dealer, then they will say that a 3rd party was involved and they are no longer liable, I know from experience with my brakes. But, I can tend to be "persuasive" when I need to be and had my issues resolved. If the rim looks like it has any road rash on it, they will likely say it was your fault.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:35 AM

Ok thanks you guys. I am heading to the dealership today to see what can come of it. There are no obvious signs of where it could have been hit.

Thank you guys for all your information,
Angie

Old 04-06-2006, 03:12 PM

keep us posted, I love some of the responses dealers give.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
JMC

yeah...good luck! Kick some major ***!

Old 04-06-2006, 09:42 PM

Ok..the dealership said that they didnt know if the rim would be covered. I explained that I hadn't hit anything but he said he wanted me to leave my car with them so that they could get a good look at it..Now comes a huge fear..I am scared that they are going to run all sorts of tests and its going to end up costing me more than purchasing a new rim. I have an appointment in the morning to talk to a mechanic there..so lets cross our fingers.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:20 PM

They run tests at their own expense(warranty). What year and mileage I should ask first though. As long as it's a 2004( likely produced in 2003) or newer you should be okay. What the hell did they need a whole day for? Maybe they need to hit it with a Crow Bar and make a dent for you...just kidding, but I don't trust 99% of the dealers.

Quick Reply: bent rim problem