Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

★ Best LED Floor Lighting Method

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:22 AM

I i'm having trouble with positioning my led lights. I have a right hand drive outlander and the passenger led is ok as it will stick to plastic under the glove box, but the driver side does not have plastic to stick to only a fabric like material and i'm worried that the 3M tape is no strong enough to hold..

Can anyone help?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:51 PM
SLX

Originally Posted by ajoesmith
I i'm having trouble with positioning my led lights. I have a right hand drive outlander and the passenger led is ok as it will stick to plastic under the glove box, but the driver side does not have plastic to stick to only a fabric like material and i'm worried that the 3M tape is no strong enough to hold..

Can anyone help?

In an automobile environment the 3M tape on the back of those strips is not reliable. In a short period of time they will dry up and fail. The glue backing on pro heavy duty Velcro is much more reliable, in addition to providing a quick reusable assembly option. The LED strip's 3M tape, and the Velcro's adhesive back provides a very strong bond between the two when attached, and it will last for a very long time before ever drying up.

Cut the male and female Velcro to the length and width of the LED strip, and apply the male side over the original 3M tape upon removing the mask. I always use the Velcro's male side for the LED strips, and the female side for surfaces that do not already have female Velcro "like" attributes.

The area you describe is not an adequate surface for these types of tape adhesives. Therefore female Velcro will have to be attached to the surface with miniature self tapping screws in addition to the adhesive backing, considering the incompatible surface that the adhesive back will be attached to. This will ensure that the Velcro strip will never detach from the surface.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 AM

If you're like me and would rather not mess with the vehicle's wiring, there is now a dealer-installed option. The '12 Outlander has an optional LED Illumination PKG (like the Sport) that adds blue LEDs to the floor and tailgate area. Although the '12 is the first time they've offered this PKG, it's most likely applicable to the '07+ Outties since the changes to the vehicle over the last several years has been nominal. Anyway it wouldn't hurt to call your dealer and find out!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by GREG
Pretty good explanation on how you accomplished this. Here is a good tutorial on how installing the inside illumination with good pix. A little more detailed.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...r-sport-40073/

Absolutely agree with this method. Add a circuit is the safest, and IMO the easiest and fasted. In this case you do not have to make your way to the dome light, get under the roof liner etc.

I followed the links instructions, and it took me minutes to add the powersource etc. It took me a long time however to position the lights, hide all thecables etc. I did pre-solder connections to save time while installingeverything.

Love the result.
...and yes, the strips dim with the dome lights...just to clear this up!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Phatty McPatty
If you're like me and would rather not mess with the vehicle's wiring, there is now a dealer-installed option. The '12 Outlander has an optional LED Illumination PKG (like the Sport) that adds blue LEDs to the floor and tailgate area. Although the '12 is the first time they've offered this PKG, it's most likely applicable to the '07+ Outties since the changes to the vehicle over the last several years has been nominal. Anyway it wouldn't hurt to call your dealer and find out!

Well, $20 compared to $200-300 (dealer), I think I would always stick with the $20 and spend the rest on a road trip in your aswesome Outlander!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by SLX
In an automobile environment the 3M tape on the back of those strips is not reliable. In a short period of time they will dry up and fail. The glue backing on pro heavy duty Velcro is much more reliable, in addition to providing a quick reusable assembly option. The LED strip's 3M tape, and the Velcro's adhesive back provides a very strong bond between the two when attached, and it will last for a very long time before ever drying up.

Cut the male and female Velcro to the length and width of the LED strip, and apply the male side over the original 3M tape upon removing the mask. I always use the Velcro's male side for the LED strips, and the female side for surfaces that do not already have female Velcro "like" attributes.

The area you describe is not an adequate surface for these types of tape adhesives. Therefore female Velcro will have to be attached to the surface with miniature self tapping screws in addition to the adhesive backing, considering the incompatible surface that the adhesive back will be attached to. This will ensure that the Velcro strip will never detach from the surface.
I've always used the Velcro type 3M tape, and I never had problems. Its also the easiest method in case you need to remove the strip for any reason.