Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

brake bleed sequence confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 06:02 PM
Question 2012 outie brake fluid bleed sequence confusion

Can somebody explain to me why the manual recommends bleeding in this order?

Is the diagram showing a right side driver setup, and those two things are the MC/booster and ABS unit?

TIA

rich

Last edited by inandout; 03-12-2020 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:32 PM

SOLVED!

I asked a Mitsubishi mechanic and here's his answer:"Most are start at rear and then do the fronts as the abs unit or if no abs, the proportioning valve is set up where the fronts are fed by one port and the rears by another.

But several are set up on a diagonal where the left rear and right front are fed by one port and the right rear and left front by another port.

The theory behind this is that if the brakes should lock up, you wont have the front or rear go into a skid due to both front or both rear wheels locking up as the pressure is going diagonally you will have one front and one rear never locking up which gives you a bit more control.

So you bleed in the order given otherwise you will have air in the system due to how the ports feed the brakes at the wheels. "

Hope this helps others as well = )

Old 04-23-2020, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by inandout
SOLVED!

I asked a Mitsubishi mechanic and here's his answer:"Most are start at rear and then do the fronts as the abs unit or if no abs, the proportioning valve is set up where the fronts are fed by one port and the rears by another.

But several are set up on a diagonal where the left rear and right front are fed by one port and the right rear and left front by another port.

The theory behind this is that if the brakes should lock up, you wont have the front or rear go into a skid due to both front or both rear wheels locking up as the pressure is going diagonally you will have one front and one rear never locking up which gives you a bit more control.

So you bleed in the order given otherwise you will have air in the system due to how the ports feed the brakes at the wheels. "

Hope this helps others as well = )
Thanks, I’ll need to do a brake job soon!