Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Brake Pedal Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Smile Brake Pedal Issue

Hello Everyone. This is my first post on here.

Back in April of 09 I purchased an 09 Outie XLS AWD totally loaded. Love the vehicle very much and haven't been having any issues that I can think of with the exception of my brake pedal. Everytime I start the vehicle and move forward a few feet the brake pedal hasn't come all the way up. While moving those few feet, I can feel the brake pedal releasing fully and then there is a clunk sound like metal hitting metal. Has anyone else experienced or heard of this problem. I'm not sure if it's something I should worry about and haven't taken it back to the dealership since the day I purchased it.

Oh, while I'm thinking of it, does anyone who has an 07-09 XLS model that is the black color have a hazing on the back side of the side mirrors. I noticed that about a month ago. It looks as if someone took a sheet of fine grit sandpaper and scuffed it up. It's smooth but just has a hazy looking glaze to it. It's on the back of both side mirrors.

Other than that, love the vehicle.

Responses would be greatly appreciated.

This site rocks!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:22 PM

The clunk sound you're hearing is probably the ABS (anti-lock brake system) resetting. The owners manual talks about this and says it is normal. My ES also makes the clunk sound when first going forward.

As far as the brake pedal goes, there is a recall about the brake check valve sticking which can can affect braking effort at slow speeds when you first start the vehicle. Don't know if this would be it, or if it affects 2009 models, but you can check with the dealer. Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the reply azjake. Not sure if it's the ABS resetting though. I can sit there for many a minutes and this doesn't happen until I put it gear and start moving forward. As soon as the brake pedal goes up to full position, that's when the sound occurs. It only started doing this about a month after I had the vehicle. As long as the car doesn't move, but is started, none of this happens. I also don't think that my vehicle is under that recall, well at least according to the recall information as my outie was manufactured after the cutoff date of what vehicles were covered according to build date. I think I'll probably take it to the dealer to let them see if they can tell me something. Just thought someone on here might know based on their experience, as I've never had much luck at Mitsu dealers as far as repairs go. I've lived in multiple states and they all seem to be the same.

Thanks anyways. I'll let you know what I find out or if others 'pipe' in.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:53 PM
tcp
Default its the ABS selfcheck

It will only happen the first time you hit 7mph. It actually activates the brakes for a split second and makes sure all the solenoids are working. If you have your foot on the brake, you'll feel them kick. All normal stuff.

Originally Posted by brianwis
Thanks for the reply azjake. Not sure if it's the ABS resetting though. I can sit there for many a minutes and this doesn't happen until I put it gear and start moving forward. As soon as the brake pedal goes up to full position, that's when the sound occurs. It only started doing this about a month after I had the vehicle. As long as the car doesn't move, but is started, none of this happens. I also don't think that my vehicle is under that recall, well at least according to the recall information as my outie was manufactured after the cutoff date of what vehicles were covered according to build date. I think I'll probably take it to the dealer to let them see if they can tell me something. Just thought someone on here might know based on their experience, as I've never had much luck at Mitsu dealers as far as repairs go. I've lived in multiple states and they all seem to be the same.

Thanks anyways. I'll let you know what I find out or if others 'pipe' in.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:15 AM

thanks TCP, so I guess I shouldn't take it in for inspection. Thanks to all who explained this.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:16 AM

now If only I can here from people about their side mirrors.....

Old 09-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

You could have a vacuum leak in the brake booster.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:17 AM

Maybe I should take it to the dealer after all to have them take a look at it.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:57 PM

If you think you might have an issue with the brakes, I would take it into the dealer just for them to look at. Rather be safe than sorry.

I also have an 09, and do not have this pedal issue.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:08 PM

Yes the clunk is the ABS, we all have this. I had the dealer check it when I first got it and they were puzzled for a bit, then figured it out. It will only happen when you first start the car and pull forward, and wont happen again until you stop and restart the car.

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal Issue