Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Brake replacement help for 2007 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Default Brake replacement help for 2007 Outlander

My Outlander is still running on original brakes, while rear has some life left fronts need replacement. I've decided to try brake replacement myself and replace both front and rear. I watched some youtube videos and it looks simple enough. So, I purchased Powerstop ceramic brakes. Can anyone, who replaced brakes on Outlander before, tell me if there are any specifics? Also, what specific tools do I need for Outlander other then jack. Thank you!

Last edited by klas; 07-31-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:53 PM

Remove the lower hinge bolt / pin, flip up the caliper and put new pads in.
Use a piston tool with OLD PAD to squeeze the piston flat to make room for the thickness of the new pads. If the pin appear dry.. you want to put some a bit of brake lube (clear synthetic grease for brakes, not anything else) ON THE PIN. Just coat the pin and not too much. You should also do the same for the top bolt then.

Changing rotors: Remove 2 bolts holding the whole caliper to the hub. Remove whole caliper using a wire to carefully hang it off the coil spring or something close. rotor pops off... put in new rotor, bolt caliper assembly back on.

Torque all bolts, torque wheels.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT
Remove the lower hinge bolt / pin, flip up the caliper and put new pads in.
Use a piston tool with OLD PAD to squeeze the piston flat to make room for the thickness of the new pads. If the pin appear dry.. you want to put some a bit of brake lube (clear synthetic grease for brakes, not anything else) ON THE PIN. Just coat the pin and not too much. You should also do the same for the top bolt then.

Changing rotors: Remove 2 bolts holding the whole caliper to the hub. Remove whole caliper using a wire to carefully hang it off the coil spring or something close. rotor pops off... put in new rotor, bolt caliper assembly back on.

Torque all bolts, torque wheels.
I'll second that. I'd pick up a packet of brake grease from the parts store while you are there...it is not the same as regular grease. I did use a pair of channel-lock pliers to press my piston in...carefully.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Old 08-01-2012, 01:56 PM

Those are some of same tools I use in my garage.

I don't know how to find the torque specs though because I don't have a factory service manual yet.
Do you have it?

Do you know where to place the jackstands? Assuming you are not using the spare tire jack.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM

No idea on anything, first attempt on this and trying to gather as much info in case I get stuck. I don't have another tire jack, but I am hoping I can borrow a good one.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 PM

Found online service manual out-club.ru/Manual/Outlander_XL_Service_Manual/Service/003/4753343558202020/search/2007/index_M1.htm

Looks like Tightening torque for wheel is: 98 ± 10 N·m

Last edited by klas; 08-01-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Replaced brakes offer the weekend. Would have been very easy if I didn't break two bolts while removing tires. So one tire ended up 4 hour ordeal while the remaining 3 just under two hours.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=klas;285949]Thank you for info! I am planning to get these items in addition to the tool set I already have. Do I need anything else?

Brake spreader
Amazon.com: Lisle 24400 Disc Brake Pad Spreader: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 24400 Disc Brake Pad Spreader: Automotive

Brake spreader you can "borrow" from Autozone(part store), when you done just return it. Salesman at autozone offered that to me...

Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 AM

Sure I'd borrow stuff like cooling system tester. but if it's $8 just buy it. I'm sure the gas to go to autozone twice cost about that much.

Quick Reply: Brake replacement help for 2007 Outlander