Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Broken coil spring due to cold weather???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Question Broken coil spring due to cold weather???

Is this a common problem in cold climates ( e.g. Canada etc)?
This morning I went to move my Outlander off my drive and upon turning the steering wheel I heard a loud ' crack'. It transpired that the front offside suspension coil spring had snapped. The car was recovered to my local dealer where it is awaiting repair.They say it failed due to the ''cold weather '' ???..only -1deg celcius today; the car has experienced much colder temps in past. I have been driving for over 40 years and this is the first time I have heard of such an occurence,? Anyone heard of similar?
Thankfully extended warranty in use again !....
Ron

Last edited by ronwill; 11-26-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:41 PM

If that was true, Outlanders would not last long in Canada where -40C is a regular occurrence in winter.

I suspect a defect of the spring or corrosion.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:39 PM

+1. Defective spring or something. Would have to be mightly cold for steel to get brittle enough to crack like that...

Old 11-26-2010, 06:00 PM

+2 on defective spring

It was -5 C here today and mine are fine. It gets down to -15 to -25 C here several times during the winter, and I have never had an issue.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:49 PM

had to be defective. there's no possible way cold could do that. We just had temperatures of -30 (-45 with windchill) for a week here in alberta and my outlander didnt even flinch. They're feeding you a whole pile of ....

Old 11-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Thumbs up re broken coil spring

Thanks for the info gents; as I thought, you have much colder weather than us and I'm sure our springs must be made from same spec material !. It must have been a weakness as I could not see any sign of corrosion. Just glad that I have an extended warranty so repair will be free of charge!
Thanks again.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Question re broken coil spring

Further to my previous re above, my car is still off the road due to new coilsprings being not available from Mitsubishi until 14 th December ( expected delivery date) !!!!!
I am not happy especially as the car is needed more due to the weather we are having at present.......
With ref to the cold weather being the cause of failure, I have been told from several sources now that it is quite possible as this happens quite often, not only with 'Mitsubishi' cars but with other makes as well. It makes me wonder if the coil springs on Canadian and other ' cold climate' vehicles are of a different 'spec' than European made cars.Mine was made in Japan but I understand that all current Outlanders for European market are now made in the Netherlands ( including Peugot and Citroen versions).
Where are North American variants born?????

Old 12-01-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ronwill
Where are North American variants born?????
AFAIK all our Outlanders come from Japan.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Mine was born in Okazaki Japan.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:05 AM
ndj

Ron, as you state UK Outlanders came in from Japan until some time in early 09 when they transferred production to the Netherlands (NEDCAR - the old Volvo/Mitsubishi JV).

I know they also planned to transfer the PSA versions there and guess it's already taken place.

Interesting that despite my car coming from the Netherlands the VIN states country of origin as Japan. I questioned that with Mitsubishi and they reckon it's due to the lack of local content (i.e. they are 100% knocked-down-kits from Japan).

Have to say the build quality is excellent; much better than my 2009 UK built Civic Type-R.

Quick Reply: Broken coil spring due to cold weather???