Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Change Transmission fluid

Old 02-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Default Change Transmission fluid

few questions about change transmission fluid ..[/align]1. Has to go to dealer to change?[/align]2. Is ok / safe to use non-Mitsubishi trans. fluid[/align]3. how often does the trans.fluid need change? mine is 07 XLS 2WD with 10100 miles[/align]4. If has to go to dealer, any recommendation within southern cal? (between LA / Irvine)[/align]

Old 02-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Default RE: Change Transmission fluid

Can I start out by asking why are you chaning your transmission fluid already?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:37 AM

The schedule I have says to change it every 2 years or 48,000KM (30,000Miles), BTW, Mitsubishi does not manufacture oil, If Mitsubishi sells Oil with there branding on it, the dealer probably doesn't use it anyways.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:51 AM

I didnt see anything about changing the trans oil. The only thing I seen was "check". On page 7-15 it says to use Diaqueen ATF-J2 fluid.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:15 AM

I got the change interval from the dealer schedule. It seems a bit early, this is my first Automatic, so I can not speak from experience. I'm going to follow there schedule for the next 3 years, because they through in, 3 years of free service when I bought the car, after that I'll research it a bit more and do most of it myself.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the reply .. I was wondring about the type of trans. fluid for my outalnder. I am thinking about to add one qt. of Trans-X during my next trans. oil change

Old 02-05-2008, 12:34 AM

is it best to change to synthectics?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:19 AM

Sorry for taking the thread a bit off topic, but I have a question regarding motor oil. I just did an oil change at 10,500miles, I used Mobil1 with the recommended 5w20 viscocity. So my question is when is it a good time, or if it is neccessary at all to step ud the viscocity to 5w30? 5w20 seems like running water everytime I drain the oil, it sort off bugs me, and now that the car has some miles in it, I'm not sure if I should keep using it?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 AM
tcp

Stick with the dealer's transmission fluid. It's probably synthetic anyway and you won't have problems with the transmission. Many transmissions are designed specifically fora unique type of fluid and this vehicle is one of them. Even castrol doesn't recommend their own fluids and points you to the dealer for that:

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/cast...amp;Model=2851

Interesting read:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...00&fpart=1

Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 AM
tcp

I think temperature is really the key here. If you drive in warm temps a lot, higher second numbers are not a bad idea. I think I bought some 5w40 for summer use. The 5w20 that gets spec'd a lot these days has to do with epa numbers...you get better milage with thinner oil...less pumping losses. With higher quality oils in use today, probably give adequate engine protection at the thinner grades, but it wouldn't hurt to have a higher range in warm temps. I think I was reading that the oil specified in different places in the world where this vehicle is sold is up to a 10w50 or 20w50 in hot climates. If you run in cold temps a lot a 0w20 is fine...like winter here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change Transmission fluid