Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Cheap OEM looking Mud Guards 2007+

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Default Cheap OEM looking Mud Guards 2007+

For those interested in a cheap alternative to OEM mudguards, Power Flow (www.powerflowinc.com) has a model that will fit just fine and give an OEM look. I bought mine at Canadian Tire. The Power Flow guards each have a number. I bought #4 model.

They will fit perfect without any modification on the rear. The front require a litle notch to be cut out to fit over the lip where steel of the body is welded. I used a dremel and it took a couple of minutes. A sharpexacto blade would do the same.

Mechanics at Mitsubishi were impressed with the OEM look yesterday when I had my winters installed.

Total cost $36.00 taxes included at Canadian Tire

Dan

[IMG]local://upfiles/15219/FD223702CB6D47A5A3B5CC5AE448E957.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15219/61B2896C9A2A4557B16A8C022C3384F6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15219/C8D58FCA1EFA4FD1BBB67AC8CF59811F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Default RE: Cheap OEM looking Mud Guards 2007+

I never own mud guards before. Therefore Im not sure the purpose of it. Can someone tell me whats the purpose of having this product.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 PM

They help keep the elements (water, mud, snow...)off your car. Also helps keep rocks and sand from getting flipped up and chipping paint on the side. And I guess it would keep less crap from flying up on drivers behind you (if you care).

The main reason people get them is to help keep their vehicle clean. These are considered "splash guards" so dont expect much when conditions are anything but minimal. The best protection would be "mud flaps" which you typially see on semi trucks and trailors.

I dont havea set yet, butprobably going to getsome since winter is here. Those non-OEM shown above I guess are good if you are on a budget, for the factory ones run around $90.

Heres a good write up if your looking to get the stock ones: http://outlander.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=40

Old 12-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Dont look bad but from them pictures they dont look too much like the oem ones. But for 36 bucks you cant beat it.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:22 AM

good on ya Dan. I'm off to CT in the morning to find them. Hope they're in stock! I've looked on EBAY etc. and just can't see $120 worth of plastic (incl. shipping to the Great White North).

Thanks a bunch! You're gonna make a wife very happy. ( i just can't figure out why an XLS with almost all options wouldn't come standard with mudguards - but i'm sure everyone else is saying the same thing - except ShortyRider)

Later

Old 12-10-2007, 03:45 PM

Glad everyone's enjoyed the post. Good luck to those who choose this route. By the way, since I installed them, I am really pleased with the result. They're bigger than the OEM mud guards and they are really protecting my vehicle. I see no splash up on my sides anymore. I also no longer hear the gravel hitting the sheet metal of my doors. Here in Ottawa/Gatineau, they use alot of that on the roads.

About the comment on perhaps being on a budget, believe me, if I can plunk down this kind of cash on an Outlander XLS as well as a BMW Z4 3.0, money is not an issue. I just have problems with being ripped by the dealerships for OEM products. No insult taken...

D

Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 PM

Did you have to drill new holes for the screws in the wheel well or did you use the same plastic clips again that were on the car already?

Looking to do this, but didn't want to drill into the car for new screws.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:29 PM

Yes, I had to screw new screws to the plastic wheel well. Not a big deal at all. I am pretty sure that even the OEM mudguard have to be screwed in. The plastic screw clips that are there would not hold any mudguard in place. Or perhaps the OEM guards come with new inserts... Not sure.

In answer to your question in the other thread, the mudguards make ALL the difference in the world. It's night and day.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:12 PM

Went to Canadian Tire yesterday and bought two sets and put them on last night. I had to take off the rear wheels to drill the holes and mount the guards. All in all, they look good for the price. I drove around here in Medicine Hat, AB, last night, and I did notice a big differencein keeping slush off the side of the vehicle (my 8 y.o.daughter and I are still trying to figure out if the "Outie" is a car or a truck - also if it's a boy or girl...). Thanks for the post, btw!

P.S. This is my second blue "Outie" - my first one was a blue 1986 Audi GT [sm=smiley29.gif]

Old 12-15-2007, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: dekodan

I am pretty sure that even the OEM mudguard have to be screwed in. The plastic screw clips that are there would not hold any mudguard in place. Or perhaps the OEM guards come with new inserts... Not sure.
Check the link, shows you everything: http://outlander.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=40

ORIGINAL: ringram67

daughter and I are still trying to figure out if the "Outie" is a car or a truck
Its a CROSSOVER (part car, part SUV)

Quick Reply: Cheap OEM looking Mud Guards 2007+