Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Child seat question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Default Child seat question

Hi All

I am a new member here from Toronto. I am considering a 08 Outlander as a family vehicle and would like to verify something.

Can I mount 2 child seats side by side on the second row? Ideally I would have a seat in the middle and a seat near the door and have a passenger on the other side. Is that possible in an Outlander?

I know that I can mount the seats on the sides and have a passenger in the middle, but the way the seat is formed there is not that great for comfort....

Also, can I mount a seat safely at the 3rd row?

Thanks a lot.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:08 PM

Hey Yury,

I just put a safety seat in our outlander myself. It was actually quite easy due to the stiffer rear seats.

If you are using the latch system there are 4 Latch anchors in the second row, and each seat needs to use 2 anchors to themselves, meaning you should only use 1 latch attached to 1 anchor, never 2 laches atached to an anchor. This means if you need 2 car seats one needs to be on the left and 1 on the right.

If you use a seat belt to secure the middle seat and the latch system on the left or right you may be able to have the seats next to each other. Haven't tried this though

What I have been told is you can mount a booster seat in the 3rd row but not a stage 1 or 2 car seat. That is my understanding at least.

Hope that helps

Old 08-29-2009, 08:31 PM

No, you could not safely put a child seat in the middle and on one of the sides. You can do two in the middle row on each side of the Outie. It has the 2 latch anchors on the drivers side, and 2 on the passenger side.

I would not use the 3rd row for any kind of child seat. (Or booster seat). It is not as secure as the 2nd row.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:16 PM

Thanks guys. I actually just found out the answer on a dealer's lot. First off with 2 seats on the second row there's no room for a passenger, not if you want to seat a person with any kind of comfort. Second, I am not convinced mounting a seat in the middle with another one next to it is all that save due to the shape of the seat.
Too bad, I liked the vehicle otherwise and the price was good. I am afraid I can only do what I want with a mid or full size SUV. I tried a Kia Sorento and it does fit, but even in that truck the rear passenger comfort is not ideal. Sorento has 6 extra inches of hip room compared to Outlander, but this is barely enough. Another option would be an Endeavor, but it doesn't have as much hip room, so it may not work at all, not to mention that I can't afford it. Not now anyways.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Last edited by Yury; 08-29-2009 at 10:21 PM.