Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Chinese DVD / Radio / GPS Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor
First 2 pictures are of the system.

3rd pic is source selection page. 4th picture is Nav, 5th pic is DVD playing, 6th is USB playing, 7th is a picture of my USB drive connected to system and 8th picture is Microphone for bluetooth telephony.

I carried out the install myself, it was pretty straight forward. No instructions came with system but I had done enough R&D and google myself so I was ready for install and troubleshooting. It took me 2 hours to take old system out and put the new one. I am yet to install rear view camera since for that I would have to run cables under carpet etc and I need time for that.

The build quality of the system is good. It comes complete with a rear view camera (yet to install) which is a OEM fit and space is available for the same right next to rear hatch handle.

My pre-installed Rockford Fosgate Amp and speakers are working great. Though I need a center speaker now since this system has Dolby decoder chip and 5 channel Amp.

The system is capable of playing from DVDs, USB, Micro SD (there is a separate micro SD slot for nav software), iPod, Bluetooth device. It comes with a analog TV tuner box but without antenna so I am yet to install it.

I am using a 8GB USB drive and decoding is near uncompressed sound. I am able to use steering controls as long as I don't switch Nav along with music. In this case I am only able to control volume and select using mode.

I am not using Micro SD card slot right now but did checked it earlier.

Bluetooth connectivity to phone is good but I am unable to access my phone book and for some funny reason it shows incoming number but no name associated with it. This is a software glitch.

I took Nav software from my wife's Cedia which comes with factory fitted Nav (Kenwood) on loan. The microSD from Kenwood's blackbox was easily put in MicroSD slot for Nav software on this system. I am right now using MapMyIndia interface and map that came pre-installed in Cedia but soon I shall receive my SatNav software which I intend to use on this car. I will do R&D on Garmin since that is the best interface of them all.

DVD playback on 8 inch HD screen is very good and accompanying remote is good. though you can control all menus using touch screen.

My only complaint is not so good software interface and small glitches like no change of track if you are using music with Nav or like no shuffle mode in USB etc, rest is good.

I read on one of the Mitsu forum that manufacturer is coming up with upgraded software and I hope I get the upgrade.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the AV upgrade.

...And apologize again for a late update

Here are the pics:
Hi. Thanks for the update. I've just ordered ine from Compucn so it makes interesting reading. Where did you put the GPS antenna for the Satnav? Under the dash or on top? Thanks.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ryandlor
nice, I am looking at this model along with others from different sellers.

I also want to be able to hook up a Roof mount DVD or Head rest dvds to work with this head unit.

Is this unit capable of multi zone?
Thanks Ryandlor. Before you jump the gun, please consider following facts:

1. Good hardware is a piece of junk if not accompanied by good software to run it. That is exactly the fact with this system. It is nothing but home grown brew. There are so many glitches in software that even version 100 wont help. To top it, the manufacturer claims it is not possible to upgrade ROM. This is very disappointing. Consider the fact that you will end up spending close to $1000 with shipping and customs (if you go legal way) and than you end up with a piece of junk that is not up to the mark. NAV resets without a warning. Bluetooth hangs, no USB shuffle etc are very irritaing factors. I read in a post above that someone is willing to resale his system for less than half the price.

2. Where will you go for service in case of any issue with this system? You cant ship it back and forth to china in case of issues. I am not sure if engineers (if they exist) back at factory are capable of resolving issues remotely. However, you will surely get an offer to buy another piece

3. Canbus (Rockford Fosgate) feature is an eye wash. Do some research and you can make a relay yourself to switch on/off your factory fitted amplifier. There is absolutely no technology behind the big claim.

4. The DSP feature of your factory fitted amp is lost, so it is never going to sound like the original system ever again. If you are an audophile than stay away from this system.

5. The quality of plastic is downright cheapest, so it never gells with rest of the dash.

6. you loose the auto dimming feature with rest of your dashboard lights.

7. Once you make up your mind, the seller will nag you with additional price for everything that you ask him. Consider this, he charged me extra for camera (non CCD), no GPS software, shipping charges extra almost double for India etc. Consider this, he sent me analog tv tuner but without antenna

8. Booting time is close to 2 minutes, so you will never be able to operate rear camera if you just started your car and want to reverse, which is the case we put car in reverse 99% of the times.

Overall, my recommendation is that you stay away from this CompuCN unit. It is much better to add a Jabra bluetooth speakerphone ($70) and Garmin Nuvi 205w ($100) and be happy with the factory fitted premium music system.

In any case, I travel frequently to US, let me know if you are keen on my unit at a discount.

I am extremely disappointed with purchase and purchase process.

Last edited by rishi_kapoor; 07-12-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo199882
Hi. Thanks for the update. I've just ordered ine from Compucn so it makes interesting reading. Where did you put the GPS antenna for the Satnav? Under the dash or on top? Thanks.
i have placed it under dash but will be required to be moved to top since signals are a challenge.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:10 AM

I ma just about to order the latest model from compucn My car is without Rockford Fosgate system. Do all the steering wheel controls work with the exception of the bluetooth? Thanks.
Only volume works most of the time since NAV will be on.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:38 AM
Angry

Guys, here is more update. Check this link:
http://rofaudio.en.alibaba.com/produ...vd_player.html

The same identical system is available from this seller at $400 (all inclusive). Can you believe I paid over double for player from CompuCN. I sure feel cheated now.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 AM

If only this had been written before I placed my order.... I'm going to have to hope that rishi_kapoor had too high expectations and there is a glimmer of hope that its not really that bad! A bit gutted though about spending double the price that I needed to have.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor
Guys, here is more update. Check this link:
http://rofaudio.en.alibaba.com/produ...vd_player.html

The same identical system is available from this seller at $400 (all inclusive). Can you believe I paid over double for player from CompuCN. I sure feel cheated now.
Damn, ....I dont know what to do now....seemed like to good of a deal...

Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Exclamation

If only this had been written before I placed my order.... I'm going to have to hope that rishi_kapoor had too high expectations and there is a glimmer of hope that its not really that bad! A bit gutted though about spending double the price that I needed to have.
Well yes, I like good quality

Just a small advice, ask seller to send you updated version since that is out now and not send the old OSD version.

I purchased less than 2 months ago and the gentleman had the guts to ask me to buy a new one since his engineers cant provide firmware upgrade . Clearly a marketing gimmic to sell a sub standard product and than ask for more money to upgrade it.

Insist that you want system with new software or you shall cancel the order and ask for refund.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ryandlor
yes except the screen size.

Quick Reply: Chinese DVD / Radio / GPS Installation