Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Clicking sound? Ha! I have a real brain teaser of a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:42 AM
Default Clicking sound? Ha! I have a real brain teaser of a problem...

Hey!

Everyone has heard about the whole ball bearing joint on the 2007 Outlanders. I THOUGHT I was one fo them and had an issue, so I took my Outlander (which I LOVE, by the way - my first SUV after all my life dirving sports cars) and they changed the "joints" on the car.

Well it did not fix my problem at all. The dealership service manager is flabergasted by the issue and is contacting Mitsu about it.

The problem? When I first turn on the vehicle in the morning, I let it warm up a bit (the temp gauge has to move twice before moving the car slowly to ensure oil is flowing ok). I back out the car (either in 2WD or 4WD auto) and then begin moving forward. As soon as the vehicle is moving forward on its own, I LIGHTLY begin accelerating and then I hear "clank". Just that once. Then when I park the car and it cools down for 5 mins and I begin moving forward again, then we hear the "clank" again.

It is getting me quite concerned. Does anyone have a similar problem? Any ideas on what it is? The car is barnd new, it only has 650 miles on it and I BABY all my cars.... very strange. Oh, it's not the cold weather, as I live in FL and the coldest it has been since I got the car is 40 at night.

Please help! []

Thanks!

Ps. I plan on contributing quite a bit in this forum. I play with cars a lot. One issue I plan on addressing here is the radiator and ATF cooling lines, which are dangerously positioned in this car and w/o a "safety net" of some sorts, a flying rock from a truck my bust the line in front of the radiator and cause at leats $600 of damage. But this will be talked about here later.

Thanks!! ^_^

Old 03-06-2007, 04:05 AM
Default RE: Clicking sound? Ha! I have a real brain teaser of a problem...

Did they fit in the redesigned parts? I had this issue too, but the service manager knew that redesigned parts have to be fitted, and the problem was 100% solved. I have heard of other members having this "fix" but parts fitted in where the same design as the original bearings so the "fix" didn't work at all.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 AM

I have this problem, but then again I still have not taken it to the dealer due to back order of the bearings.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Take a look at this trend https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_114144/tm.htm

It has the service bullentin. Make sure they changed the wheel bearings and snap rings. You mentioned they changed the "joints", is that all they changed?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:08 AM

i am going to go with they just didnt do it right, because there is a certain way those bearing, and snap rings go together, if they get it wrong, it'll do it again.
i am going with this, cause the idea that it could be either the trans, center diff, or rear diff, would most likely hurt your feelings.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: OTO27

I have this problem, but then again I still have not taken it to the dealer due to back order of the bearings.
Same here...

Old 03-06-2007, 07:57 PM

its the bearings. There are 3 pages to that TSB, and the other two tell of an exact series of installation directions that need to be followed. There is a special grease that goes with that TSB.

at any rate, thats the only noise (or problem at all) we've seen on the new outlanders.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:58 PM

It's probably this:

GROUP 35 Service Brakes : ABS Pump Noise (Update): 2006-07 Eclipse, 2007 Eclipse Spyder and Outlander : ABS System Conducts a self-check to ensure it is functioning properly the first time the vehicle reaches approx 2.5 mph. During the self check, a "clunking" noise will be heard from the right front of the engine compartment. The noise only occurs the first time the vehicle is driven after the engine is started. It will not reoccur until the engine is restarted. This noise is a normal operation of the ABS System. Do not attempt to repair this condition.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:58 PM

i got my bearing replaced a week ago and i have no noise it seemed to fix the promblem with the clunk noise

Old 03-06-2007, 09:04 PM

I go saturday to have them listen for the noise. Im going to drive 32 miles there and 32 miles back just so they can order the parts that I know I need. Then once they get them in I will have to drive another 64 miles for them to actually replace the bearings. I called 3 dealerships and complained that they should just order the bearings since its a know problem and I shouldnt have to drive there and back 4 times to fix their problem.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound? Ha! I have a real brain teaser of a problem...