Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Clicking sound? Ha! I have a real brain teaser of a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Default RE: Clicking sound? Ha! I have a real brain teaser of a problem...

you could not be more right, but its like ford, my old man has a 06 f350 diesel dully. The other day, he was pulling an empty goosneck, pulled up to a four way, and it died. Took it to ford, they told him it was most likely a bad cam sensor, that they get at least two a week in with that problem. They could just go ahead and do a recall, but apparently that would be too easy

Old 03-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Default Interesting.... hummmm

ORIGINAL: blackb13

It's probably this:

GROUP 35 Service Brakes : ABS Pump Noise (Update): 2006-07 Eclipse, 2007 Eclipse Spyder and Outlander : ABS System Conducts a self-check to ensure it is functioning properly the first time the vehicle reaches approx 2.5 mph. During the self check, a "clunking" noise will be heard from the right front of the engine compartment. The noise only occurs the first time the vehicle is driven after the engine is started. It will not reoccur until the engine is restarted. This noise is a normal operation of the ABS System. Do not attempt to repair this condition.
Hummm.... VERY interesting!! [:-]Sure is an odd thing that I seem to be the only one who hears it. Where did you get that info from, BlackB13?? The interesting thing is that although myball bearing joints were NOT the updated version, they never made any noise and the service manager from the dealership made some sharp and harsh turns with the vehicle. No clicks, just the first click when the car begins to move and then it's fine. Have anyone else who owns a 2007 Outlander heard this noise? I guess you have to be paying attention to notice it.... If I am the only one, then how will I sleep at night??! heh But Blackb13, please, tell me where you found this info about the ABS testing itself so I may sleep at night! Thanks for the info.

NOTE: How do you guys drive your Outlanders after the first 300 miles of break-in period? I have heard you should drive it hard, fast acceleration to keep the engine tunned or something... (should I start a new thread about this??)

Old 03-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Default RE: Interesting.... hummmm

I can hear the ABS sound sometimes. To me it sounds as if someone tapped on the exhaust pipe with a screwdriver. It's just one short metallic click.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:23 AM

That is the darned sound.

Anyone else hear this metal "clank" once when they first begin moving the car forward??

BlackB13 has some info on that. Hopefully he will drop a line as to the source of that clank.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 AM

I too hear the abs checking itself, its common on abs cars.
I dont hear any clanking noises, well not since mitsu fixed the bearings

Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 PM

Is it really common to hear that "clank" sound when you first start to drive forward?? That is is the first time in my life I have ever heard such sound! And I have had a ton of cars with ABS barkes (5 to be exact). No surprise I am concerned! [&:] How sure are you guys that is teh ABS checking itself? (It is definitely not the ball bearing joints - it doesn't click when I turn and they have been just replaced anyway).

Old 03-07-2007, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Christian1

Is it really common to hear that "clank" sound when you first start to drive forward?? That is is the first time in my life I have ever heard such sound! And I have had a ton of cars with ABS barkes (5 to be exact). No surprise I am concerned! [&:] How sure are you guys that is teh ABS checking itself? (It is definitely not the ball bearing joints - it doesn't click when I turn and they have been just replaced anyway).
thats what it is.
all cars with ABS do it for a self test to make sure the pump is working.
dont worry about it.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:12 PM
JMC

nuff said.........

Old 03-08-2007, 12:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Christian1
That is the darned sound.

Anyone else hear this metal "clank" once when they first begin moving the car forward??

BlackB13 has some info on that. Hopefully he will drop a line as to the source of that clank.
You'd know if it was your wheel bearings. They make a LOUD BANG when making a sharp turn (backing into your garage). The problem you're experiencing sounds more like the ABS solenoid check.

BTW, Manybrews is a MMNA tech, so if he says you're good, then you're good.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:20 AM

I have yet to hear my ABS check over the loud BANG!!!!! Be happy you can hear the ABS check.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound? Ha! I have a real brain teaser of a problem...