Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Clicking when engine turned off

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013 | 05:43 AM
|
Default Clicking when engine turned off

Hi, can anyone help me please, I have an Outlander 2007 model, recently it has been making a clicking noise when the engine is turned off, initially only for 5/6 seconds but last week it went on for about 1 minute, then back to 5/6 seconds again....any ideas??
there is no lights on the dash but it sounds like a bomb

Old 12-11-2013 | 09:31 AM

Does it make the same noise if you start the engine from cold state (say first start of the day after a cool night), run it for only a minute and then turn off the engine?

If it does not make the clicking sound that you normally hear after turning off the engine after it has fully warmed up, likely the sound is parts attached to the outside of the engine that are cooling off, shrinking and moving a bit as the engine starts to cool off.

Old 12-13-2013 | 05:19 AM
|

Yes, still does it.... :-(

Old 12-15-2013 | 04:35 PM

Where does it sound like it's coming from?
Can you hear it in the cabin or from outside only?
Does it do it if you just turn the key to ACC?
Does it do it if you turn the key to ON (not start) then OFF again?

Old 12-16-2013 | 03:03 AM
|

Sounds like it's coming from under bonnet, towards front of engine...can hear it both inside and outside of cabin, only does it after engine been turned off.....it's also intermitant, I drove the car this week and some times it clicks 6/7 times, then nothing, other times it didn't click at all, then it will go on for about a minute, which is quite scary??

Old 12-16-2013 | 10:10 AM

Bonnet eh? Don't hear that very often in this neck of the woods...Where are you from?

Try popping the hood/bonnet and have someone else turn the car on and off and see if you can identify more specifically where it's coming from...

It's possible the engine cooling fan at the front by the radiator _could_ be cycling on and off... I don't know for sure if that applies to this model/year but looking inside will help identify this...

Old 12-19-2013 | 10:11 AM
|

Haha, I'm from Oldham originally, I've found where it's coming from so i think i need to take it to a garage now as it's a big metal bit, sounds like something inside rattling inside. Had it on my friends diagnostic machine and it's nothing electrical.... ahh well, thanks for your help, last the professionally take care of my bank account... lol...merry Christmas