Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Galant blows hot air, even when turned off

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Default Galant blows hot air, even when turned off

I have a 2005 Galant and I love this car. But it has this annoying habit of blowing out hot air from the vents even when I have the fan turned off and the dial turned to the coldest setting (w/o having the a/c on). I've had the car for about 3 years and that's the way it's always been. Never asked a mechanic to check it, because I'm cheap and don't want to spend money to fix it. But still perplexing. Anybody other Galant owners that have experienced this?

Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by brendaboo
I have a 2005 Galant and I love this car. But it has this annoying habit of blowing out hot air from the vents even when I have the fan turned off and the dial turned to the coldest setting (w/o having the a/c on). I've had the car for about 3 years and that's the way it's always been. Never asked a mechanic to check it, because I'm cheap and don't want to spend money to fix it. But still perplexing. Anybody other Galant owners that have experienced this?

I have the same problem on my 2002 Mitssubishi Galant
and my 2000 Mitsubishi Galant.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Default How "hot" is hot?

How "hot" is the air? Try checking the cable, or whatever operates the air mixture door in your system. Check to see that it does actually move because you may think it is moving, but it may not be.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 PM

My 2004 Galant's doing somewhat of the same thing except it doesnt cool the air anymore, i've added freeon (not sure spelling) to it, and it cooled it for a bit then stopped, i went to add more to it, and i keep getting a reading of its fully ccharged, I dont have the money to take it to get checked out cause most places to check the ac are around $60-100 just for them to test the system. if you have any idea of what it could be send me an email at duckrogers626@yahoo.com

Last edited by robert626; 10-31-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by brendaboo
Common problem with the Galant. Usually when this happens its a temperature actuator valve gone bad, which I believe in the Galant is behind the glove box. May have to pull out the blower motor to get to it, but always check your fuses/relays first.

Originally Posted by robert626
My 2004 Galant's doing somewhat of the same thing except it doesnt cool the air anymore, i've added freeon (not sure spelling) to it, and it cooled it for a bit then stopped, i went to add more to it, and i keep getting a reading of its fully ccharged, I dont have the money to take it to get checked out cause most places to check the ac are around $60-100 just for them to test the system. if you have any idea of what it could be send me an email at duckrogers626@yahoo.com
Probably have to check out your compressor. Make sure the relays and fuses are good first and then, if you can, while the a/c is running, see if you can see the clutch engage on the compressor. If it doesn't bad clutch and maybe bad compressor, if it does, probably bad compressor. You could also find a cheaper auto mechanic and get it diagnosed. You can usually find shops that'll diagnose something like that for 30 bucks or so.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 PM

By the way, if you do end up replacing the temperature actuator valve, make sure you read up on what you're doing. Just like a radiator, or airbags for example, you can't just pull out the old and put in the new, there are steps you need to take to calibrate the new valve once it's installed.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by jcrespo1991
By the way, if you do end up replacing the temperature actuator valve, make sure you read up on what you're doing. Just like a radiator, or airbags for example, you can't just pull out the old and put in the new, there are steps you need to take to calibrate the new valve once it's installed.
Thanks so much for the suggestions. This is definitely helpful. I for sure won't be attempting this myself. But it's nice to have something to suggest to my mechanic.

Just curious - do you think a bad valve could also affect the a/c? I had a recharge done earlier this year, but a few weeks ago the a/c button light was flashing and was no longer putting out cool air. Seems the two would be related, but I'm not exactly an expert on these things.

Thanks again!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:20 PM

if i knew where the ac clutch was or the compressor or any of that i would look at that been looking for diagrams of the engine compartment for my car with everything labeled or in sections but cant seem to find any again its a 2004 Galant 4cy

Old 11-08-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by robert626
if i knew where the ac clutch was or the compressor or any of that i would look at that been looking for diagrams of the engine compartment for my car with everything labeled or in sections but cant seem to find any again its a 2004 Galant 4cy

This is the compressor. The part that should rotate when the a/c is on is the clutch. This is not a galant so don't use the picture for location reference but all compressors look extremely similar so this should show you what you're looking for. It will always be attached to the serpentine belt in a galant.

Serpentine belt is on the left of the engine from this ^ angle.