Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

CoCoChi

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Default CoCoChi

[&:] The 2008 Outlander has a special windshield coating which blocks UVA/UVB light. Mitsu calls it "CoCochi" or "comfort zone" (the entire cabin has this stuff). supposedly keeps the car cooler during the hot summer days and also protects the passengers from getting sun burned and fry like turkeys inside the car when you are in long road trips.

I have not seen any info about it @ the mitsu North America site. Is there anybody who could confirm this is in place?

thanks!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Default RE: CoCoChi

my '96 impala ss had a similar windshield.

the '94 caprice wagon i had at the same time did not have the "special" windshield.

you could tell the difference inside at the huge dashboard area. so the technology did actually work !

Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 AM

I dont know about the windshield, but all the other windows have tempered glass called Termperlite. Most vehicles these days have them.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 AM

The Japanese site says the glass in the outlander blocks UV and infrared light...

Old 09-16-2008, 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Shambala

The Japanese site says the glass in the outlander blocks UV and infrared light...
Tempered glass is made so that when it breaks it shatters into little pieces instead of sharp edges that will cut. Auto makers then dip the glass into a protective film that then blocks the sun's harmful rays...

Old 09-16-2008, 03:46 PM

My point was that many other SUV or crossovers do not have this feature. I don't care about the tempered glass, that is standard in all cars and makes for over 40 years. What is not standard is the anti- UV/ IR glass coating. I know Honda, Ford, Nissan and Dodge don't have that in their cars.

What I wanted to know is if the North American version has the anti- UV/ IR glass coating...

Old 09-16-2008, 05:29 PM

Ya my point is I dont know ANY late model vehicles on the road that are in the USA that dont have UV/IR protection in their windows...

Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 PM

There are 3 parts to CoCoChi. The UVA/UVB blocking windshield, The special headliner to absorb odors, and a pollen removing cabin air filter. I know the 2008 US Outlanders have the headliner to absorb odors, and on the US sticker for standard equipment they list "Air Conditioning with micron air filter", so thats 2 out of 3. So far I haven't been able to find anything specifically mentioning the UVA/UVB blocking windshield, but that doesn't mean US cars don't have it.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:41 PM

Thank you for the info, that helps

Old 09-20-2008, 02:11 PM

To those who may want to know the North American version of the outlander does have the anti UV and IR glass.
Here is the info:

http://www.agc.co.jp/english/company/02.html

This technology was invented in 2002