Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Cold weather issue...strange one.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:20 PM
tcp
Default Cold weather issue...strange one.

It was and still is COLD here in Calgary yesterday. -32C with a windchill of -49C, about the same today. I had a small problem with the outlander. I drove into work, no problems. Then it sat for a couple of hours, outside, I then drove a short distance...5 minutes, maybe, and then parked again for 10 minutes or so. When I went back outside and started it up, no problems.

As soon as i put it into reverse there was a huge clunk and the check engine light went on as well as the ASC OFF light turned on, there was also a warning message about overheating the differential and I should slow down. I put it back into park and then back into reverse, the same thing happened again. It seemed to be running fine so i backed out and it drove completely normally back to work...about 5 minutes. I let it sit for a couple of hours and then connected one of our monitoring systems to it to reset the check-engine light, which it did. My drive home was completely normal(with the CE light off and all systems normal). This morning, everything completely normal again. 4WD system is working great and ASC kicked in while skidding through a corner, so everything seems fine. I can only think some blowing snow melted during the short drive and dripped into some sensor or connector somewhere, then immediately refroze(take 3 seconds at -49C) causing an electrical or mechanical issue getting into reverse.

I would have called dealer/mitsubishi, but i'll wait to see if it happens again...happy to have the 10 year warranty, but I suspect it was a one-time glitch due to the cold. Anyone with a similar experience?

Old 01-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Default RE: Cold weather issue...strange one.

I was wrote there: https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_197244/tm.htm
Temporary solution in your case is described but I hope to find the reason.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:09 PM

I have gotten the clunk 3 times now. The first time I thought fluke. The second time no one was in the car. The third time I was with my gf and she was like wtf was that. It finally concreted my problem. When I put it in reverse and its cold the car clunks and nothing else happens. It drives totaly fine. No check engine lights nothing. It only does it if I start it up and put it in reverse with in the first 30 seconds. If I let it warm up alittle it doesnt do it. I live in NJ and its only been coldest.... the teens.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:14 PM

i havent had that problem. now my only stupid question is, WHERE THE HELL IS THE BLOCK HEATER?? dont i have one? i was pretty sure there was. these cold starts are getting slower and slower everyday. i need to plug it in but i cant remember/find the block heater on my 07. TCP do you know? youre in the same city maybe you have the same problem?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:48 AM
tcp

there isn't one.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:56 AM

antlip,
thank you for explanation.
As I understand, you wait on idle about 30 seconds before begin to drive.
But what driver must to do when he forgotten about it and "check engine" and other messages will appear ?
What is the reason for this problem ?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:50 AM

I dont know what to make of it. Its possible from the car being so cold that its elevated idle causes it to do this. Since its idling higher trying to warm up it is possible, its like shifting from park to reverse while pressing the gas peddle. I dont know if you have ever drove a rear wheel car and reved it up in neutral and then shifted into drive to spin the wheels but my experience in the outlander was just like that.

It is also possible that the fluids just arent making their was fast enough to shift it into reverse right after starting it?

I plan on talking to a mechanic tonight, my girlfriends dad, and see what he says.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 AM
tcp

Not sure about the fluid thing. I can start it now and almost immediately put it into reverse without this happening, even at very cold temperatures. It was just this one time and it was almost like everything went into lockdown. Felt like the brakes hammered on, the transmission clunked and the rear wheel clutch was involved as well. BIG bang. It's almost like a temperature sensor on some device is out of sync with the others due to driving for a few minutes...it's warm while the rest are still stone cold...or something.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:19 PM

I had the EXACT same problem last week. Colder than a witch's tit outside and than the clunk and all the warning lights ablinking. Went to the Mitsubishi dealer and he says there is a TSP for a relay that controls the drive system (Not exactly sure what part). He mentioned that moisture gets into the relay when the engine creates moisture in very cold temps. He had to order the relay and I am waiting for the call for installation. I can and will post specifics when the job is done.

2007 LS AWD Graphite Grey

Mike in WI

Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 AM

So far no problems similar and it's been just as cold up here in Edmonton. . Hopefully we get out of the deep freeze soon. Hasn't been this cold in a lonnng time.

Quick Reply: Cold weather issue...strange one.