Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Consumer Reports review

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 03:33 AM
Default RE: Consumer Reports review

Guys, don't forget that most of CR's skewed data is based on historical reliability reports. So if Mitsubishi made a bad Galant a few years back, it is reflected in the overall score of the new Outlander. I think this is ridiculous personally, a car's reputation being based on a whole company's reputation over many years.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:44 AM

ORIGINAL: dodo2

"The [transmission] paddle shifters work well but are always active, so they can easily be nudged by accident."
Aren’t you supposed to hold a paddle down for few seconds or move the floor shifter in the manual mode in order to activate the manual gear shifting?
Well, I guess it was right when he said it's always active, because you can still do manual even in "D" mode, and all it takes is a half second for the shift to register once you lift that paddle. But the thing is, "easily nudged"? Unless these guys have fingers the size of a jumbo hotdog, or driving with their fingers extended, there's no way you can nudge those paddle shifters. It takes a fully extended middle finger to reach for those paddles and shift it. And even if in the worst case scenario they do manage nudge it, theres no way you can accidentally shift because you needed to pull it up to make a change of gear. Totally ridiculous comments if you ask me.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:10 AM

If your hotdog size fingers do slip off the wheel (maybe middle finger exercise getting it ready for some road rage?) and hit the paddle shifter on accident, all you have to do is hold the shifter and it will convert back to normal dirve mode. If you can't figure that out just throw it to auto shifter and then put it back into D mode. The editor just needs to go buy a moped and never have to worry about paddle shifters again.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:53 AM

I don't even have an Outie and that review ticks me off..[:@] Everything sounds subjective to me, someone is paying him off.
This guy really does sound like dumbass. I agree about the door comment RcPax. Besides, I like a door that doesn't just close upon an easy push/pull, that just means that there's not enough of a seal inside the cabin.
This guy seems like a luxury vehicle type. I bet he drives a Mercedes or BMW...
Maybe I'm just biased. I could care less about the "competition". I bet Mike Quincy is an old British man. They don't seem to like that hard plastic paneling found on "normal people" cars.

I love the comparison at the end too..
"Drives better than Mitsubishi's sport coupe--the Eclipse."
Man, talk about apples and rocks.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:54 PM

It's not a single guy- these are quotes from multiple reviewers. That is why you see some good quotes and some bad quotes.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:58 PM

I get the feeling that these reviewers are extremely out of touch withwhat a "regular person" wants in a car. They don't have to pay for the vehicles they test (not even the gas), so they tend to be completely out of touch.While Imight expect this in a magazine like Motor Trend, it seems completely irresponsible in Consumer Reports. They basically go into a review with their minds made up(good or bad), and then look for things that support their biased beliefs (for example, if they like Hyundai, they'll ignore the bad points and focus on the good points; likewise, if they don't like Mitsubishi, they'll focus on thebad points and ignore the good points.)

Old 05-14-2007, 09:11 AM

Just a comment on the doors.. The trick with ALL doors is that you don't just give it an initial push and hope it has enough momentum to fully close..you apply constant pressure through the entire travel and there's never a problem