Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Coolant Type?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Default Coolant Type?

I'm going to be changing out my coolant in my 03 Outlander (34K miles) this summer, and am wondering whether G-05 will work adequately....? Any thoughts?

Secondly, I've not yet been able to find either a Haynes or Chiltons manual for the 03 Outlander....Anyone get any ideas where I can get one?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 AM
Default RE: Coolant Type?

G-05 is fine but not necessary/

Old 03-12-2007, 04:33 PM

All Mitsu's (except the Raider) take the same coolant. Your same old green anti-freeze mixed 50/50 with water.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
JMC

What does the Raider take dood?

Old 03-26-2007, 09:08 PM

OK -- still trying to determine whether OAT or HOAT coolant is appropriate for my outlander....I know rdenis indicates that G-05 is OK....and my plan is to flush with distilled water and fill with non-diluted coolant.

Actually called the dealer today to see whether they could tell me anything that would help clearly identify the type. Allthey could say is that it's Green, and it runs at about $25 per gallon. I'm not planning to pay that, but simply am hoping to get a definative answer of what I should put in....

Manual gives no guidance. rdenis -- why do ya say that G-05 will work? Not doubting you, but don't want globs to form in the engine....

Thanks...

Old 03-26-2007, 10:10 PM

I thought all anti-freeze was the same. Green and you mixed it with water.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:22 PM

Bro, let me simplify this for you,
Buy just regular, old, plain, normal prestone... Green, mix 50 percent coolant with 50 percent water... flush out your radiator, WITH a GOOD consumer brand radiator flush, and PLENTY of water. Then fill with the mix listed above...
Thats all you need.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:26 AM

There is no scientific evidence I am aware ofthat suggests G-05 will harm newer engines including your 03 - however pick a horse and ride it.I do notbelieve there are any significant gains fromG-05 - it costs more than its worth IMHO. If you are concerned about "globs forming" in your engine than why would you even consider using it?

Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 AM

yeah, I dont see the coolant sludging on you. Not that it cant happen, because it can, but the best defense against any kind of sludge in a motor is to use a good quality name brand fluid, one that has gotten good reviews from both the industry and the consumer.
As far as coolant goes. I have certainly seen coolant bake, and breakdown. Which causes slugde. However, I have never seen coolant that is changed regularly, and a coolant system that is taken care of do it. Most people never change their coolant, and when they have a problem, its often too late by that point to do anything but replace everything. If you are chaning it now, then it sounds to me like you are the type of person that takes care of their stuff, and follows maintance schedules fairly close. Which is a good thing. you will be fine.
Rdenis is right, there is no proof what-so-ever that shows that G-05 will harm your motor. It is more expensive, but it works. Then again, so will any "base" grade coolant. The only coolants that you should steer clear of would be those designed for GM motors (the stupid pink, or orange crap they have to use to even make their nuclear reactors from going into meltdown).
Good wording denis, pick a horse, and ride it.
I dont know of any Japanese engine that requires a "special" coolant. There is most likely one out there, but I have never seen it.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Here's a good rule of thumb....
If it's green, stay green.
If it's orange, stay orange...etc.
Why buy something as simple as coolant (name brand of course) at the dealership or buy something pricey elsewhere when a very large portion of cars in the US use your run of the mill (insert color here) 50/50 from Autozone...without issues? It works fine.
Go ahead buy your Zerex G-05 HOAT mix, be warned, Orange and Green DO NOT MIX, well, yes, yes they do and they mix into a sludgey gel like Soundcolor mentioned. No, you cannot flush your cooling system completely out at home. Do you have a machine to flush it all out while the motor is running and the heater at full blast? Don't be fooled by the flashy words.
I will pass a link that has a toned down version of the differences in coolants.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_...e/1272436.html

It's not the color (that's just a dye) that's not compatible, it's the chemical make up. That same chemical make up can eat away at the inside of your motor. Go ahead, buy what you think is best. This is an issue that I can agree with dealerships (not the part about buying their stuff though, lol).

Quick Reply: Coolant Type?