Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

cooling fan situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Default cooling fan situation

cooling fan situation for all you mitsu "connaisseur"

Hi everyone, I have been reading this forum quite a bit and I find it just great.
I purchased an Outlander LS AWD 2006 about three weeks ago,bare naked, so I dressed it up with a hood protector, ventvisors and mud guards. It looked good but it looks better now ! Hasyou would know, I have a question.
I've always done all the work on my cars, so I'm having a hard time keeping my hand off of this one. This is the first time a dealer will work on my vehicle.

I contacted my mitsu dealer and I am told this is normal...Here we go

When the heater control is set to either of the two defrost settings or on AC, regardless of the temperature setting the cooling fans (both) cycle on and off at an amazing rate of 10 secondsOFF and 20 seconds ON continuously or at least when idling or in traffic.

Does anyone wonder about this or is it just me.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Default RE: cooling fan situation

I own an 07 and it does this also, there are theories going around here that say its justthe waymitsu maintains the temperature coolinside that cabin while the car is at iddle or parked.I'm not sure about the 06 models, but on the 07's itis perfectly normal and I have grown acustomed to it, I'd rather hear thatfan come on, thanbe toastinginside when I'm parked. I support this theory because all the other cars I've had do horrible at keeping cool when parked, but the outi stays nice and cool.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 PM

Thank you this makes me feel better, I suppose I'll also get used to this.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:48 PM

Mind you that I own and 07 and I'm not sure if this is also normal on the last gen, just for peace of mind mention it at the dealer next time you stop by.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:27 AM

I have the same thing happening on my '06 LS.

Not too worried though. As long as the engine and A/C are cool.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:39 AM

Has anyone got out side and listen to there aux fan when you have the ac on? That thing sounds like your about to take off like an airplane. I think if a cat would to walk in front of your outie that it would get sucked in haha. But yea its normal to click on and off. Did you notice how it keeps cold while not moving and how it gets so cold so quick.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:40 AM

Totaly newbie question but i want to figure this out...

Does the cooling fan affect the Tempature Gauge? Lately my temp gauge is going to hot....i was wondering if when i get the cool fans fixed the temp gauge thing will go away?

thanks

G

Old 05-25-2007, 06:49 PM

Canadianoutlander- Since your having issues with cutting out and overheating you really need to get it looked at before you really damage the engine. Overheating is very very bad on aluminum engine as they warp easily andcause the gaskets to leak or the engine could crack.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:34 AM

Canadianoutlander, the temperature gaugestays just below half on my LS so definately get yours checked out asap

Old 05-26-2007, 03:50 PM

What I noticed on my 07 is that only if I have it on MAX AC that it runs the fan like crazy, if I take it off MAX then it just cycles the compressor.

I think I can explain why it runs the fan, its a little something I learned from having car with non factory air. The cooling fins or whatever it is ( I used to know) not the evaporator anyway, is part of the radiator, on the non factory air it was behind the radiator. It coolsthe refrigerantbefore it hits the compressor so that the compressor can get it cooler.

So on the non factory air because in traffic there was no coolant or air flow it wouldnt get very cool and then if the engine fan kicked on it didnt help either because the AC part was not near it, so in traffic basically it pumped out warm air.

On the outie it runs the fan to cool the refrigerant before it enters the compressor allowing it to crank out cold air when sitting in traffic.

Quick Reply: cooling fan situation