Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

For Curt hitch owner FYI

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Default For Curt hitch owner FYI

I got my Curt hitch install in October 07 and notice last week that it was all rusted already all the weld had rust on it and other part of the hitch to so I went back to the trailer shop and ask them if it was normal because I was the first time it happen to a hitch that I bought the guy look at it and say bring your truck in next week and will repaint the hole thing went there yesterday and went I went to get my outie the guy told me that they replaced the hitch with a new one and sent back the old one to Curt because apparently they had problem with there paint machine at one point and some hitch might be affect with poor quality paint. I thought I pass the info just in case.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Default RE: For Curt hitch owner FYI

Thanks bro. I was just about to order mine. I guess i should wait then.

Did they say what run or lot numbers were affected?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the info, I'm looking fo a hitch right now. I would like to get one that is as low profile as possible, I realize that given the placement of the spare tire it's impossible to hide it. Has anybody researched this? which hitch has the lowest profile?

Roach, I was in Gatineau last weekend and noticed that they are building a new Mitsubishi dealer, do you know if it's owned by the same people as Mega?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Cuffy

Thanks bro. I was just about to order mine. I guess i should wait then.

Did they say what run or lot numbers were affected?
They did no give me any number by I presume that it's a batch made in sept/Oct 07 that's when I got mine

Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: chenarm

Thanks for the info, I'm looking fo a hitch right now. I would like to get one that is as low profile as possible, I realize that given the placement of the spare tire it's impossible to hide it. Has anybody researched this? which hitch has the lowest profile?

Roach, I was in Gatineau last weekend and noticed that they are building a new Mitsubishi dealer, do you know if it's owned by the same people as Mega?
I got mine at attache remorque gatineau and they recommended the curt class 3 and he said that because of the spare it cannot be hidden here's photo of what it look like
And for the mitsu dealer mitsu give 8 million to get that new dealer built because they don't like the faq that the Mitsubishi image is related to MĂ©ga auto so I presume that it's not the same people !!

Name:  DSCF0001-1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  93.8 KB
Name:  DSCF0003.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  89.1 KB

Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the pics,

BTW I have only heard bad things about MĂ©ga, I even have a friend that knows the owner, and and would trust, the kind of guy that feeds the stereotype of used car dealers.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: chenarm

Thanks for the pics,

BTW I have only heard bad things about MĂ©ga, I even have a friend that knows the owner, and and would trust, the kind of guy that feeds the stereotype of used car dealers.
I went there to get my outie XLS and after 3 days of trying the get the price I wanted I went to bank street mitsu in Ottawa Got a deal in 15min with the price I wanted and paper signed. So méga is really baddd and not good for the image of mitsubishi in the region so that's why there building the new dealer can't wait to see it supposed to have a guy with locker's and internet café while you wait for your car LOL that's what I heard don't know if it's true ??

Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: roach
I got my Curt hitch install in October 07 and notice last week that it was all rusted already all the weld had rust on it and other part of the hitch
Thanks for this warning. I have no experience with hitches before and I am strongly considering purchasing one for my XLS. What would be a realistic expectation before rust sets in. I have seen older cars on the road with totally rusted hitches. Isn't there a rustproof option? SOmething made of stainless steel probably? (though I think it isn't a guarantee it wont rust).

Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: rcpax

ORIGINAL: roach
I got my Curt hitch install in October 07 and notice last week that it was all rusted already all the weld had rust on it and other part of the hitch
Thanks for this warning. I have no experience with hitches before and I am strongly considering purchasing one for my XLS. What would be a realistic expectation before rust sets in. I have seen older cars on the road with totally rusted hitches. Isn't there a rustproof option? SOmething made of stainless steel probably? (though I think it isn't a guarantee it wont rust).
The trailer shop I went to they say that it all depend on own it's install on the car or truck if road debris get to it but on the outie if you have the OEM mud flap it does not get hit a lot by rock or other stuff and the Tech said that Curt are the best in term of paint and rust proof but he did not specified how long before rust will show but I'm presuming a few year at least.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:45 PM

I think that a stainless steel hitch would be mega bucks.
I have a theory on hitch rust, the last one I had got very rusty very quickly. I think that in order to keep the price low, they use poor quality steel and next to no rust proofing, and because the rest of the car is fairly well protected the hitch acts as an anode and getsmost of the rust, a bit like the zinc anodes they put on ships and other metal structures that are in water.

Quick Reply: For Curt hitch owner FYI