Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Dead display for radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Default Dead display for radio

Hi

I have a problem with my original radio (radio and cd player - not multi cd player or nav head unit) in my Outlander from 2008. There are no light in the display and the buttons do not work. The radio is still able to play and the volume and so on can be adjusted by the buttons on wheel.

Hope that any one do have a solution to fix this problem.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Banned

Check your fuses, that's all I've got. Either there's no power going to it or the unit itself is fried. Not much you can do beyond that.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba
Check your fuses, that's all I've got. Either there's no power going to it or the unit itself is fried. Not much you can do beyond that.
Yeah. This is a sucky issue. He could also try unplugging the cables and plugging them back in but I doubt that will work.

Based on what I found in the service manual, the panel assembly that houses the display has to be replaced and it's around $620 to $630, new.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Default Almost dead display

Hey again!

I have tried to unplug the cables and afterwards I plugged them in again. Turned on the power, and the display worked for few seconds and disappears again.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

Sounds like it's dead.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM

@tfreiesleben

Are there any pick and pulls local to you that have an Outie you could raid for a matching panel assembly?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM

Those go for pretty cheap on eBay, its just plug and play...just get on for a Lancer/Outlander/RVR they are the exact same units. I believe they changed them in 2009 to support the new wireless bluetooth streaming/USB in (FUSE).

Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Those go for pretty cheap on eBay, its just plug and play...just get on for a Lancer/Outlander/RVR they are the exact same units. I believe they changed them in 2009 to support the new wireless bluetooth streaming/USB in (FUSE).
Do you know if it's possible to replace *just* the display? My Outie came with MMCS, so I don't know what the back side of the radio cd panel assembly looks like.

It'd be great if folks could pull the LED display module itself and swap it out with one that works. Or is that sucker a permanent part of the panel assembly?

I realize that this is probably a "nice idea" at best but it can't hurt to think along those lines.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Banned

It doesn't sound like the display is the issue here. Since it was functional for a brief second, either that means the MMCS has failed, or the driver for the display. Better practice to replace the whole thing.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba
It doesn't sound like the display is the issue here. Since it was functional for a brief second, either that means the MMCS has failed, or the driver for the display. Better practice to replace the whole thing.
Oh yes. Sorry. I was thinking of someone else's display problem.

Quick Reply: Dead display for radio