Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Dealng with Mitsubishi service- any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Default Dealng with Mitsubishi service- any advice?

So I just bought a used 2007 AWD Outlander LS. I got it from a non-Mitsu dealership, but the former owners never wiped their data in the MMCS, so I knew where it had been taken for service. I went there to get a copy of the service records, as none came with the car. These service records show no sign that the throttle hesitation issue as addressed in the TSBs so often discussed here had ever been dealt with, and I have some signs of hesitation. I also have the mirror wind noise issue.

So i asked the service department how much time it would take to deal with these issues if I bought the car in. Their response- they won't even look at the car unless I can demonstrate that the issue exists, and, if I "make" them look at it and they cannot find a problem, they will charge me for the diagnostics. This is even though their own records show the reprogramming has never been done, there's no reprogramming sticker in the car, and the TSB clearly states that ALL vehicles manufactured prior to May 28, 2007 need this reporgramming. Grrr. The last thing I want is to bring in the vehicle and have them charge me!

I'll do the mirror issue myself, but any hints on how to approach the throttle issue so that they just do it?

The biggest hesitation I had in buying an Outlander was reports of how terrible Mitsu service is, and it's a pity that I'm experiencing it within the first week after buying the car! There are two other dealerships in the county, but the online reviews show that their service may be just as bad or worse, and they are much farther away from me.

Last edited by crisw; 04-10-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:53 PM

You don't say whether your in the US, or Canada, but I would call the mitsubishi toll free number for their regional/national office and talk to them. Thats what these people are for when you can't get satisfication from the dealer. I guess I'm lucky I have a very good dealer here in the Phoenix area with a great service advisor so I'm always surprised when someone complains about service they get from their mitsu dealer.

Also if you are in the US you get the balance of the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty on your 2007 model so thats another reason to develope a good relationship with the dealer. I believe the warranty should automatically be transferred to you, but again you can call mitsubishi's toll free number to find out if there is anything you need to do.

Last edited by azjake; 04-10-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:03 AM

how is that terrible service?

If you ran a sewing business, and someone came in and said "i heard there may or may not be a problem with this thread... what are you gonna do about it?", what are you gonna do?
the answer.. nothing. there's no problem unless YOU identify it. "word of mouth" problems are a bigger issue than the actual problems are, because most people are crazy.

If you sincerely think there are problems, dont approach it gingerly. Tell the service department that you have issues, not that you read some issues may or may not exist.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:40 AM

azjake- I'm in the US. I did call the toll-free number. They were little help. Basically, they said that they have the right to charge me if I ask for the diagnostics and they don't find anything.

how is that terrible service?
Manybrews- Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I am experiencing the throttle hesitation, as I mentioned. In addition, there's no record at the dealership that the service was ever done, nor is there a sticker under the hood indicating that it's ever been done (which there should be, if it ever was.)

To me, this is pretty cut-and-dried. I have a problem. The TSB documents the problem. There's no indication it's ever been fixed, by the dealer's own records. But, instead of "When would you like to come in to have that looked at?" I got a harangue about how they will charge me if they don't find anything, how they can't fix every TSB problem for free, how much they hate it when people find things on the Internet, etc. etc. etc. This was unnecessary and totally-uncalled for rudeness.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:05 AM

which state are you from?

Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM

I'm in San Diego County, CA.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Hey I am in San Diego too. Which dealership? I have been going to the Poway one for service and have been treated pretty well.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:14 PM

Sounds like a normal response as any other premium brand dealerships. Although, premium brand dealerships have higher tolerance for picky customers and they will try to make you happy. I've dealt with Acura before and they actually did not charge me for their wasted time on something that actually wasn't an issue after 3 visits.

As far as throttle hesitation, it's a just a firmware update and whenever you take your car for service they check if you have latest one and update it as needed. There is nothing extra that needs to be done. In most cases there is no track record for firmware updates unless you specifically request them.

The mirror noise is a 5 second fix that you can at home. Instructions are on this forum.

My last advice.... Search is your best friend.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 PM

As far as throttle hesitation, it's a just a firmware update and whenever you take your car for service they check if you have latest one and update it as needed. There is nothing extra that needs to be done. In most cases there is no track record for firmware updates unless you specifically request them.
OK, I really am not trying to be picky or difficult here...the copy of the TSB that I have is specific that if the firmware update is done, there should be a sticker under the hood. I don't have the sticker. Are you saying that many/most service techs don't apply the sticker? And that they should charge me for checking to see if the update needs to be done?

The mirror noise is a 5 second fix that you can at home. Instructions are on this forum.
I did say "I'll do the mirror issue myself," in my first post.

My last advice.... Search is your best friend.
May I ask what you are talking about, specifically?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by abrcrombe
Hey I am in San Diego too. Which dealership? I have been going to the Poway one for service and have been treated pretty well.
Not Poway. And not Ball

Unfortunately, Poway is a long schlep from me- I live in Jamul.

Quick Reply: Dealng with Mitsubishi service- any advice?