Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Decrease throttle Lag, solution!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:21 AM
Default Decrease throttle Lag, solution!

I've had my Outtie since 2007 and it had the ECU/Tranny update done to decrease the throttle lag. It solved some of the problem but it has always been a little laggy even after the update. I can literally pump the throttle about an inch at a time and the throttle doesn't respond.

So I've driven a few Prius cars and liked the way they allow you to adjust the throttle mapping for Eco, Normal, and Power modes. It basically makes the throttle response curve softer for Eco and more punchy for Power. It doesn't change the actual horsepower output, just the way the throttle feels.

I ran across a review of a thing called I-Throttle that works the same way. It gives you adjustability for 9 levels of Power and 6 levels of Eco. But the interesting thing is that it claimed to reduce throttle lag significantly. I ended up buying one on eBay, they have a plug harness for the Outlander that makes installation totally plug-n-play. Just remove the throttle plug from above the gas pedal, plug in the I-Throttle, connect another plug into the OBD port and you're ready to go.

I'm happy to report that the throttle now responds much quicker, no more laggy starts from stop signs etc. I also tried it on the highest Power setting and highest Eco settings and it's a huge difference. Somewhere in between is where I'll end up. It defaults to "Normal" each time you start the car, which is the stock throttle map but with reduced lag. I'm happy with that.

I'll report more as I use it.

http://www.weapon-r.com/blog/i-throt...tle-controller

Search eBay for "Outlander I-Throttle" for the controller and plug, I paid $148 shipped.

Youtube promo videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCDS1RE2kM

Use this one for the programming set-up because the supplied printed instructions didn't explain it properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLcpCxQxK4E

Old 05-09-2011, 11:03 PM

Please do! I'm curious to see what the fuel economy change is for city driving.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 AM

The first tank mileage was the same as normal. But that was on the default setting which doesn't change the throttle curve, it just eliminates the delay and mushiness of the throttle response.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Any update on the usefulness and performance since the install ??

Old 06-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Default results

I'm also interested to know. Any updates?

thanks

Old 06-14-2011, 01:33 AM

Still working fine. It definitely eliminates the throttle delay that bugged me for 4 years. This is how the car should have been from the factory. Mileage is the same as normal using the default setting. I haven't tried any of the softer throttle settings.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:41 PM

Ordered one.

Will report later after install.
It depends on the length of the Canadian prima dona (Postal worker) strike.

I will see if this fixes the confused throttle I get sometime (he fall asleep, must be a lazy one) the only fix when this happen is to mash the pedal at least half way.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Thanks biscuit.

The standard throttle response of the Outlander v6 reminded me of my first generation Turbo car (a 1979 SAAB 900) A lot of nothing on first push then a lot too much if you press a little more.

NOT very linear if you ask me.

This thing (I-Throttle) should be standard installation on all Outlander.

Now I have a real V6 and I can control the engine with a minimum of pedal movement in a really linear feel.

It's set at PE3 and even my wife think it's much better now...

As far as fuel consumption, I think it's a bit better now as I don't play the pedal as much as before.

I did not use the OBDII connector but attached it to the inside fuse box using an "add a circuit" adapter piggy backed on the Optional fuse #5 using a 10 amp fuse.
The rest of the controller and wire are stuck in the flip tray in front of the fuse block. The display is stuck to the cup holder face (I don't use that thing).

To install the pedal adapter you have to drop the shield under the dash, you will find the instruction in your owner manual except that there is 3 plastic plugs rater than the 2 quoted.

Very pleased with the smooth control it afford.

Last edited by Claude_A; 07-23-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:37 PM

I tend to feel like a lot of the aftermarket parts have a bit of placebo effect. Kind of like a K&N filter (which I have always had). Technically it doesn't produce "noticible" results to HP or mileage (they even state this) but every person who uses them swears by them. Even subconsciously (sp) you tend to change your driving habits with a new part.

I am not saying that this doesn't work (I am watching one on eBay) but even if it makes me feel better about the response it is worth the $150 as a cheap upgrade.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:36 AM

Nope, this is something I could tell you blindfolded if it was on the car. In stock form I can tap the throttle repeatedly and nothing happens until you depress the pedal more than an inch. With the i-throttle the RPMs start rising as soon as you give it gas.

Glad you like it Claude. Did you buy the adapter plug, or did you choose to hardwire it yourself?

Quick Reply: Decrease throttle Lag, solution!