Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Detailed Rear Camera Installation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/detailed-rear-camera-installation-18705/)

jcdac 10-14-2007 08:51 PM

RE: Detailed Rear Camera Installation

I'm worried about the side curtain airbags. Rdenis' wiring might tangle with itwhen it blows out of the roof.

JC Dac

NothingInCommon 11-16-2007 05:07 PM

Once you remove the inside rear hatch panel, there are a number of nuts and two bolts that need to be removed in order to remove the exterior plastic trim piece. In order to access all the bolts, you will need to remove the rear wiper motor mount bolts and then rotate the wiper motor assembly.
How the heck did you remove the inside rear hatch panel?

NothingInCommon 11-16-2007 05:52 PM

nevermind

oldpapa1949 11-21-2007 03:56 PM

I have looked over the wiring of the outlander and the plug that is removed actually ends up right near the rear dc socket.. Exact place I do not know yet, but will find out.. In the wiring diagram its D-09 and on LHD vehicles its near the rear deck passenger side.

If this is the case, it will save the step of dressing the camera cables and possiblity of obstruction air bag deployment.

Let ya know on this
Wayne

oldpapa1949 11-23-2007 03:16 PM

Well, in 30+ degree weather I tore apart the back of the Outie and found the connecter for power rear seat fold down, but no connector for the camera.
I even untapped the harness a bit looking and just came up with zip..

Looks like the life of wiring ..Back to front

BTW, the airbag system looks far enuf away from the top.. I might dress my cable via floor

Old

Ceram 11-25-2007 02:05 PM

Have someone looked into the workshop manual for the 2008 year model about this? I guess that the wiering for the 2007
are the same as for the 2008 where the cameraare pre installed.

dekodan 12-07-2007 08:41 AM

Great thread!

Biscuit: Any model number for the Cam you picked up on Ebay? I like the wing install.

I find it incredible that the vehicle does not come stock with this if everything is in place in the vehicle for it (when equipped with MMCS). The cost is minimal according to this thead. I think I could have paid $25 to $200 more for my vehicle since it is priced so far below its competition anyway. Then again, I prefer having to do a DIY camera on the Outlander than the deal with the yet unresolved issue of no AUX/Ipod input on the Mazda CX-7 with NAVI (2 model years and counting).

Dan

dekodan 12-07-2007 08:51 AM

I was thinking... With a Wire Finder/Circuit tracer, it should be fairly easy to figure out where the connector on the back of the MMCS is going. Does anyone have one of these ?:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94181

It's cheap, I might buy one...

Dan

biscuit 12-07-2007 11:47 AM

Here's a link to the camera I have:

http://www.kawamall.com/pd_1x_camsm28ntscmrr.cfm

That company usually sells them on eBay for $24.99 + $12.00 shipping. Just make sure you get the small size and NTSC.

Still working great, use itevery day, one of my favorite mods!

08Outtie 12-07-2007 05:44 PM

Hi biscuit, I got an 2008 outlander just two weeks ago and I'm interested in installing the rear view back up camera like you on the wing.

As previously asked by another memeber, do you know whether the MMCS in 08 is the same as the 07?

Thanks

08outtie

dekodan 01-20-2008 10:08 PM

Just got mine complete. I did the camera in the wing install. In wired my cameras power to the rear reverse lamp so the camera is not always on for no reason. Works perfectly.

I wired my video cable along the drivers side headliner as suggested at the start of this thread. There has been many questions regarding the curtain airbags. Caution: You must be very careful to view where the curtains are (They are quite visible when you pull the headliner downwards in the door areas). Tuck the wire far back behind the curtain.

I would suggest that if you do not do this, the bag can either misdeploy getting tangled in the wiring or even worse. The wire could come speeding out at a rapid rate causing injury.

If you're careful, there should be no problem. If you want to be extra cautious, wire at the floor level.

rodneyc 04-13-2008 05:23 AM

Hey Biscuit,

Do you have any tips how to take out the MMCS head?
Also for the wire harness that you show how to solder, is it already in, or need to purchase somewhere?
I bought the Panasonic CY-RC50KU, what do you think about this?

thanks

Outie08 04-13-2008 01:01 PM

I too did the camera in the wing install. I power the cameras to the rear reverse lamp on the driver side. Works great !

I got a 20 feet standardaudio cable with white and red male RCA connectors in place, split it in half since I only need one, wired my video cable along the floor on the drivers side to avoid the curtain airbags all together.

Pulling the MMCS head was a lot easier than pulling the wing and running the video cable, I did a serach and is all there. I strongly suggest you do the same.

Here is what what my wing cam look like.
[IMG]local://upfiles/16364/28F2C8D486844037B47AED9DB64056FB.jpg[/IMG]

MMCS during adjustment.
[IMG]local://upfiles/16364/6BEBABB38F5247ABB9D16BF1807914A1.jpg[/IMG]

Good luck to you!

biscuit 04-14-2008 08:48 PM

Congrats on the install Outie08, looks good. I agree 100% on your decsion to wire everything along the bottom of the car. I wired mine up top and now my A-pillar cover falls off every once in a while. I think the mounts aren't very strong to start with because they have to easily pop off with the airbag. Taking them on and off a few times makes them even weaker. Plus, it's safer to route along the bottom.

An update on my camera. The exterior bezel of the camera is anodized aluminum and it has faded over the past 6 months. Right now it is kind of gold colored and heading toward silver. I'm not worried about it on my Outtie because if it turns silver it will match my white paint better. If it fades on a dark car it might need to be painted.

rodneyc, there are instructions/photos on the forum that show how to remove the MMCS, I think they are in one of the sticky threads.Please post the link if you find them.

Outie08 04-14-2008 10:02 PM

Thanks biscuit,
I owe thanks to you and rdenis for the install insight. I Look forward tothe exterior bezelto fade,gold color is kind of cool too.Silver will also work for my silver grey paint . Worsy case. for $25, I might just pop a new one in.

rodneyc 04-17-2008 08:23 PM

Hey guys,

little confuse, for the power wiring to the camera, do I need to get the power from the Navi like rdenis did, to get automatic come on when put it to reverse, or I need to get the power from the reversing light.

thanks

Outie08 04-17-2008 09:28 PM

Hi rodneyc,
You can do it either way, I did my camera power to the backup light,so, my camera only receive power whenmy backup light comes on, as well I don't want to run power all the way from the MMCS to the back, If you follow rdenis's way, your camera will receive power when your car is "on".

MMCS will automaticlly put backup carmera on the display the second you put in Rregardless howyou power your camera.

rodneyc 04-20-2008 10:18 PM

Thanks Outie8 and biscuit...

I hooked the camera up today, I get the power from the back up light, but don't know why or what happen. the camera doesn't power up, the MMCS is auto show the screen when I go to "R". Don't know what did I do wrong. I got the Panasonic CY-RC50KU, need some help guys....

rodneyc 04-20-2008 10:20 PM

Outie8

How did you get the setup screen show up, and is there anyway I could check the camera connection or setting in the MMCS.

thanks

biscuit 04-20-2008 11:39 PM

Hold down the 'Navi' button and 'Set' button simultaneously for three seconds or longer.

Outie08 04-21-2008 06:53 PM

Like biscuit said, hold down the 'Navi' button and 'Set' button simultaneously for three seconds or longer. Assumming you already enable the camera in the mmcs correctly. You can access the setup screen even without any camera connected.
I suggect you hook up your camera as a stand alone unit and output the video to let say a tv that will acept video in. You might have to come up with a 12V to power the cam. If that work,I would troubleshoot to see if you have a bad video connection to the mmcs. If you unit don'twork as stand alone, you might have a defectivecamera.

rodneyc 04-22-2008 07:38 PM

Thx help, finally installed the camera (panasonic CY-RC50KU) on, but got a bit issue, seems like the angle show up is the right, anyone have any idea how to adjust that?

thanks

Outie08 04-22-2008 09:39 PM

How about some pics of your backup camera ? Don't understand what you mean by "angle show up is the right", please explain.

rodneyc 04-24-2008 07:20 PM

Here are some of the pics, I installed the spot that same as rdenis's did. the screen show up like curve at all edge. I guess because the camera are at the left side not exactly in the middle. But is there anyway to adjust the shooting point??

[IMG]local://upfiles/16674/48F324220C164080B32BA058A992280A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16674/67E23BA67F134E1398555E72C649102D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16674/9A1E9388D0424ED2A4C4EF977E597C06.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16674/376B6CF9FBC84C8A823793ED20E37922.jpg[/IMG]

Outie08 04-24-2008 09:37 PM

Congrats on the install, looks good!The reason your screen show up like curve at all edgemight be due to the fact that yourcamera has a wide angle len in it, and thats what you want anyway.

rodneyc 04-25-2008 07:21 PM

Thanks, I guess that's the way my camera is.

But if anyone else have any suggestion please give me some idea....

thanks folks

jsrd 04-26-2008 12:31 AM

You must use a rear camera with lens correction, like as Pioneer ND-BC20PA. The model that you installed does not have this characteristic (lens correction), for what is not possible to correct the distortion. . .

rcpax 04-26-2008 04:35 AM

I think the OEM Mitsubishi camera they use in Japan does not have lens correction as well, that's why the green guide lines in the display is curved in the first place. The backup guide in the MMCS is probably designed for wide angle lens cameras whithout lens correction so it is to be expected that the display will be curved.

What interests me though is how the "adjustment" controls at the bottom of the display works. What's the curved arrows for?

Outie08 04-26-2008 08:54 PM

rcpax, I think you're correct, my backup guide in the MMCS works well once I adjusted to my camera.

BTW, the curved arrows allows you to rotate your guide lines. More flexable in terms of setting up you backup guide to your camera.

Printerman 04-27-2008 10:30 AM

Hi All:

I have been looking at this great project since it was first presented to the members….

A great job was done with the pictures and written help….

Since I have not much in the way of mechanical ability and don’t have all the tools I may need…Has anyone had the camera installed by a accessory installation company. If so what was the cost….

I had the Curt Hitch install and I asked the installer if they could do it and the more he talked the less enthused I became…I felt I knew more than he did .

In Step three is there a way to make your own plug instead of cutting the wires…

Thanks for the installation ideas and the replies to the questions the other members had..

:)

Cuffy 04-28-2008 09:42 AM

I'd love to do this as well and for $50 it's a great mod.Could somebody post pics of how they wired into the reverse lights?

I do have some concerns tho.Will this void the warranty on the MMCS? The MMCS connector that is recommended to be cut...what does it do? If it's not needed, why is it on there?

Would you be able to buy a similar connector from your dealer that can be modified as detailed in the post?

If it's plug and play it may not void anything, but I'd have to believe that cutting the wires on a piece that's attached to the MMCS would void the warranty. And if i have any electrical or MMCS problems down the road I don't think i'm technical enough or computer savy enough to argue back at a dealer/service tech that what i installed didn't cause the issue. The wife will kill me if i mess up the car and have to pay for it out of pocket. Am i being too paranoid?

Outie08 04-28-2008 11:10 AM

Hi Cuffy,

When I did mine, I share the same concerns aboutMMCS warranty.I am sure the warranty is void the second you cut and tapped into the MMCS.
I was thinking, Instead of cutting the wire right at the connector as per rdenis, what if I create a plug and play connectionfar away from the MMCS, and is hidden out of the way.Imade the connection and put a connector for the camera about 16" away, in that way, all the connections to the MMCS apperas to be in place, And if i have any MMCS problems down the road, I just unplug the camera. btw, I wired the connector so that the second I unplug, the enable line to the MMCS no longer grouded, therefore, MMCS don't even see the camera.
I also ran aconnection from the Camera to my aux input to cover all my bases in case the service guy wonder about why a camera in my wing.
You want to do the right thing when wiring up the camera, i.e, solder you connections, proper fuse for the camera, proper insulation etc.
p.s As per rdenis, the factory MMCS connector goes nowhere.

rdenis 04-28-2008 09:48 PM

This mod will not void any warranty coverage unless you somehow f* it up and screw up your MMCS - then you are hooped. FWIW - I have had a dozen or so dealers contact me to do this exact same install on 07's and 08's.

One day the void warranty myth will die - maybe...

Outie08 04-28-2008 10:45 PM

Hi Rdenis,

The Legend himself ! I owe you thanks to the install insight.
As to a dozen or so of dealers wanting to do what you've achieved, knowing how much the dealer charge for options, you might be on to something.
Thanks again for your write up.

Evolander 04-29-2008 04:49 AM

rdenis I'm an outy turbo owner while installed the kenwood indash kvt 735 dvd (supports also rear camera - checked the price yday for $ 138 from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-08-KEN...QQcmdZViewItem).
I'm requesting yr advise whether the installation of the rear camera is feasible to my car as per yr initial message or not, in order to proceed accly.

Thanks and brgds

Cuffy 04-29-2008 06:03 AM

rdenis,
"Hooped" is my middle name, so my concern is definitely f*ing it up. Even with all the help you guys provide i'm still not that confident i won't mess something up. I'm nota tech-wiz and skipped shop class in high school so wiring and soldering stuff is not my forte. And don't get me started on computers...my brain will explode.;)

I still have a hard time believing a dealer would cover MMCS problems underwarranty after the owner modified it. I guess if you are technical enough and can out explain the service techs as to what happened...you may be covered. In my experience tho, if a dealer can save $2000 by relating the issues to what was done outside their service dept they will.

I may just bite the bullet and try to install it anyways. I just need to get up the nerve first:).

Outie08 04-29-2008 11:43 AM

Cuffy,
I must admit, sever the wires to the connector presented an apprehensive moment for me, the feeling of holy batman, point of no return.
After that, my concern was definitely don't f*ing it up, I was so paranoid that I disconnected the car battery, and I was wearingmy anti-static wrist strap the whole time when I was handling the MMCS.
Bottom line, it's worth it.

bleacherbum 05-23-2008 01:25 AM

Some of rdenis' original write up appears to be missing, at least to me, as if it wre cut off just into part3--wiring it up--would anyone be able to repost this part? much thanks in advance!

rdenis 07-21-2008 07:10 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Okay so go figure - have no idea what happened to the original post but apprently it is off in cyberspace somewhere now. In any event here are the remaining pics which were cutoff. I dont have the original narrative so once the board gets fixed I'll fix the first post. Frustrating!!

Electrical Connections:

Attachment 8259

Attachment 8260

Attachment 8261

Attachment 8262

Attachment 8263

Attachment 8264

bleacherbum 07-21-2008 10:04 PM

Thank you, rdenis!!!