Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Detailed Rear Camera Installation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/detailed-rear-camera-installation-18705/)

rdenis 05-06-2007 11:37 PM

Detailed Rear Camera Installation

19 Attachment(s)
Okay, I finally got around to installing my rear camera this weekend. I really wanted a factory installed look so I started off by looking at the Japanese Outie for reference:

Attachment 11299

Overview:

I have broken this installation down into four parts - Part 1 details the mounting of the camera in the hatch. Part 2 details running the camera cable to the front via the headliner. It is a very easy install and in my opinion easier then going via the floor. Part 3 details the wiring including making/modifying the wiring harnesses for quick disconnect should you decide to remove at some point in the future. Part 4 is a wrap-up inlcuding a couple of pics of my install.

Part 1 - Mounting the Camera

I went with the very slick Pioneer ND-BC2 - it is full colour CCD with low lux provisions and an incredible 135 degree wide angle and 100 degree vertical. It is among the very best cameras out there and well worth the extra bucks. You can buy cheap cameras off eBay but you get what you pay for. The ND-BC2 is MSRP $250 but you can find it on eBay for much less.

Attachment 11300

The rear of the vehicle pre-hack. This install requires a bit of patience and a steady hand.

Attachment 11301

Once you remove the inside rear hatch panel, there are a number of nuts and two bolts that need to be removed in order to remove the exterior plastic trim piece. In order to access all the bolts, you will need to remove the rear wiper motor mount bolts and then rotate the wiper motor assembly.

Attachment 11302

Attachment 11303

Okay, once that is done you can go ahead and remove the exterior trim piece. It is plast and has a number of snap connectors. Gently exert some pretty good pressure to free it from the hatch. Here is the bare hatch with the trim removed:

Attachment 11304

Said trim piece (pre-hack):

Attachment 11305

Alright, if you flip over the trim piece and loot at the underneath, you will see a scoredoutline of where the Japanese camera is mounted. You can also see this while the trim piece is still mounted on your Outie - it is right next to the left license plate light.

Attachment 11306

Pull out your Dremel and cutout an appropriate opening for your camera.

Attachment 11307

Test fitting camera:

Attachment 11308

Once you are satisfied with your camera opening in the trim piece it is time to bore some holes to mount the camera bracket. Depending on how you want to mount your camera you likely need two holes - one for the bracket and one to pass the camera cable through. Once drilled, paint the inside of the holes so you don't have any bare metal exposed (Don't worry about keepoing this pretty, it all gets covered by the trim piece - see my screw up below).

Attachment 11309

Fitting the camera bracket mount and trim piece is a lot of "trial an error" to get the mount in the ideal location. I originally tried modifying the bracket that came with the camera but found it caused the camera to stick out too far and pushed on the trim piece. I made my own bracket out of steel strapping you can get from any hardware store. Piece of cake and works very well. My bracket is on the left:

Attachment 11310

Final fitting and installation of camera:

Attachment 11311

Once you have the camera mounted and installed, it time to run the camera wiring around the hatch:

Attachment 11312

At the top of the hatch are two waterproof boots through which all wiring (as well as rear washer line) from the vehicle runs. Pop out the left boot and fish the camera wire through. The boot is very flexible and fairly short so you can use a stiff wire to fish the camera cable through.

Attachment 11313

Part 2 - Running the Camera Cable Under the Headliner

The first thing we need to do is release the headliner at the back of the vehicle. There are three fasteners back here but we only need to remove the left and centre fasteners. To remove the fasteners, wrap something flexible and strong (I used 20 gauge wire) around the fasteners and pull sharply down. They will pop right out.

Attachment 11314

With the fasteners removed, feed the camera cable thorugh the boot hole and into the roof space. Running the cable under the headliner requires no tools and trust me when I say you don't need small hands and fingers to do this. Gently pry back the weather stripping and pull down the headliner to snag the cable - run it to the left side of the vehicle and past the rear pillar.

Attachment 11315

Keep working the cable down the length of the vehicle, gently prying the headliner when needed to feed the cable.

Attachment 11316

When you get to the rear door, you will need to pull back the weather stripping to expose the headliner edge. No worries, the weather strip is very flexible. Continue running the cable all the way to the A pillar and then run the cable down the inside of the A pillar - again you can just use your fingers to tuck the cable in behind the A pillar and down to the fuse box. Once you get the cable to the fuse box it is time to move on to wiring this puppy.

Attachment 11317

Part 3 - Wiring it Up

Here is a picture of the rear of the head unit - there are instructions somewhere around here on removing the head unit so just do a SEARCH. The key here is the connector in the upper right - it is not actually connected to anything so go ahead and unplug it and cut the five wires - we are going to make a video signal quick connect out of it. In addition, on the lower left of the unit is the connector which has switched power and a ground. We are going to splice in quick co

Sebba 05-07-2007 01:06 AM

RE: Detailed Rear Camera Installation

Another awesome write up.

maharajah 05-07-2007 01:30 AM

Incredible! Great job! Thanks rdenis!
I really want to do this, but it'll take a while to work up the courage. The write-up helps a LOT.

biscuit 05-07-2007 03:17 AM

Great write-up rdenis, thanks.

silvercoupe97 05-07-2007 08:16 AM

Definitely a GREAT write up! Thank you very much for sharing that with us and for taking the time to take pics and adding such great detail! Awesome job Rdenis, awesome job!

This deserves to be pinned to the top.

antlip 05-07-2007 09:48 AM

Hey silver while your in here would you mind putting a couple others to the top? There are a couple more write ups like this that should be saved.

silvercoupe97 05-07-2007 09:54 AM

Absolutely, point them out to me and I'll stick 'em up there.

brian360 05-07-2007 03:20 PM

Excellent job!

I do have one question -- I have an 08 Lancer GTS that I'd like to install a backup cam in (why in a car? Just because I can.. haha). It uses the exact same head/navi unit as the outlander.

My headunit doesn't have a harness connected to the necessary port at all in the Lancer, and I can't quite tell which pins correspond with each wire color from your pictures. Would you be willing to draw/write up a quick pin diagram from the point of view of the head unit for those of us without wires to cut?

Thanks!

rdenis 05-07-2007 04:30 PM

Sure no problem. You should have 12 pins, 6 top and 6 bottom. The bottom row has no connections so ignore. Looking at the back of your nav unit top row of pins from left to right:

Pin 1 - not used (pink)
Pin 2 - not used (white)
Pin 3 - Video in (orange)
Pin 4 - not used (open)
Pin5 - Ground (black)
Pin6 - Camera recognition (yellow)

Colours in brackets indicate wire colour in harness connection. If you can't find a connector you can cheat by getting a couple of 3 pin or one 4 pin computer component connectors which are used to connect components to motherboards. Their pin alignment will fit perfectly and you can make your own harness out of this.

rdenis 05-07-2007 04:32 PM

I love the look of that new Lancer GTS - sweet ride. How's the stock handling on it?

brian360 05-07-2007 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: rdenis
If you can't find a connector you can cheat by getting a couple of 3 pin or one 4 pin computer component connectors which are used to connect components to motherboards. Their pin alignment will fit perfectly and you can make your own harness out of this.
Thanks! That's exactly what my plan was to do -- I thought the pin spacing looked the same.

ORIGINAL: rdenis
I love the look of that new Lancer GTS - sweet ride. How's the stock handling on it?
I haven't done a whole lot of "testing the handling" yet, but so far its pretty good. It has a stabilizer bar in the engine capartment. The lancer sits up a bit higher than I'm used to though -- my old car is a 92 Nissan 240SX. I didn't realize how low to the ground my 240 was until I had to drive it again for 4 days without my lancer getting the navi unit repaired.

silvercoupe97 05-08-2007 09:05 AM

This thread along with some others that were pointed out have now been pinned at the very top of this forum so that it does not get lost in the shuffle.:)

evoracer 05-16-2007 08:11 PM

Is that sacrificed connector the OEM plug for factory B/U camera in Japan? So when you back up it doesn't shut the video off? Is this viewed through the auxilliary channel? Sounds like a great mod.

beaslebub 06-24-2007 04:46 PM

hi rdenis this may seem a stupid question but what is the brain can you not just wire 1 cable to reversing switch and then 2x cables video input. i have just brought an elegance model (uk spec)and need a camera as i tow every day (used to have on in my old car)
by the way photos are fantastic.

rdenis 06-24-2007 05:06 PM

Not a dumb question at all - the brain is only unique to the Pioneer camera (you see the camera is so smart it even hasits ownbrain - j/k). You can buy any camera that has a regular video feed and that will work fine, but let me just comment the following:

I have no tie or affiliation with Pioneer but without a doubt this is one of the best if not the BEST cameras out there. I have looked at a tonne of different camera systems - everything from the eBay specials at $50 to factory Honda, Toyota, GM, and Chrylser systems which go upwards of $500 to $600. The eBay specials typically are not wide angle and even when claiming so max out at about 100 degrees viewing angle. The factory systems which typically have wider viewing angles up to rround a true 120 degrees often have issues with low light and bright light conditions.

This Pioneer kit is a full 130 degrees and operates in the lowest levels of light and brightest daylight without issue. The best part is you can buy it for less than $200 and I guarantee you would not be happier. If you want to replicate (actually exceed) the factory system Mitsubishi offers in Japan then buy the Pioneer system - you will not regret it.

But as I said any old videosystem will work. Hell I even had my system playing Ms. Pacman when I was testing prior to getting the Pioneer camera with the "brain".

rdenis 06-24-2007 05:13 PM

By the way - there are a number of these Pioneer cameras available on eBay right now for some great prices. Click here for Pioneer Backup Cameras

I also have an extra one for sale which if anyone isinterested they can PM me.

beaslebub 06-24-2007 05:21 PM

Thanks alot i will try this
two other questions my mmc does not have a rear camera button is this a software issue i need to sort i only have aux and i cannot find anywhere to connect to aux.
last question can you have rear screens that play off the mmc dvd player (if so how) and will they stay on when moving ( i only ask this as i had a stereo/dvd player fitted to my old car with a 3.5 screen that went off when moving but still played on the rear screens)
many thanks

rdenis 06-24-2007 10:57 PM

1) Your MMCS already has the capability but you have to wire it correctly as detailed in this thread earlier. The MMCS has a dedicated input for a camera that only activates once the vehicle is put in reverse- it does not go through the auxilliary input.

2) I can't recall if I have specifically tested this but I am sure it is possible.What I don't know is whether a signal needs to be sent aloing the communication line prior to getting a video out signal or whether the video out signal is live all the time - I am betting it is live so shouldn't be a big deal. You probably are wondering what the hell I am talking about but take a look at this thread, in particluar Step 1. As for when the vehicle is moving the front won't display but the rear will continue to do so.

beaslebub 06-25-2007 08:41 AM

many thanks i will try this and let you know how i am getting on

beaslebub 07-08-2007 10:04 AM

hi rdenis
just to let you know i have now fitted my camera and thanks to you it now works fine
because of your pic and explination the job was alot easier than i thought it would be
many thanks

abrcrombe 07-09-2007 06:04 PM

How long did it take you to do it beaslebub?? Have you undertaken any projects like this before?

deouti 07-19-2007 01:55 PM

A very good description rdenis.
My camera works very well, but can you tell me please how can I open the service screen mode to adjust the overlay grid. I can`t find a Service screen mode for adjusting.

Thanks ! ! !

pkpaperinik 07-19-2007 03:49 PM

Hi deouti, for Service menu screen:

Hold down the 'Navi' button and 'Set' button simultaneously for three seconds or longer.

deouti 07-20-2007 06:35 AM

Hi pkpaperinik,

now the adjustment is also finished.

Many thanks

MadisonMini 07-29-2007 12:08 PM

Another Satisfied Customer

Just finished my install yesterday, and with these great directions everything was smooth. It seems so complex, but the wiring was the easiest part. Really felt a "holy crap" sensation when it worked on the first try. Nothing usually goes that smoothly...but this did. Thanks again Rich for the instructions.

Ceram 08-10-2007 08:55 AM

Hi Rdenis,

Nice manual for installation of the rear camera.:)
But asa newbie i am curios when I see you cut the wire
terminatedto the connector to the Nav unit. When there is a
wire it usually are going some ware, or?
I am thinking that maybe Mitsubishi already has made the wiring
when making the car. If somebody has the workshop manual it would
be an idea to check this out before we start to rewire the car.

Ceram

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack
of cigarettes, It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rdenis 08-10-2007 07:29 PM

It's not in the North American wiring schematics hence the trouble we went to figuring the wiring out. As is detailed this connector terminates and does not go anywhere in North American vehicles.

GPSeek 08-14-2007 10:59 PM

rdenis or other Outies,

Did you ever consider or try the Poineer ND-BC20PA that seems to be better on paper?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...528828,00.html

ND-BC20PA is $100 more than ND-BC2 on ebay though.

MadisonMini 08-16-2007 10:58 AM

Looks cool, I didn't see that model when I installed mine. Been really happy with the BC2 :)

rdenis 08-19-2007 11:28 PM

It's the BC2 with a few extra bells and whistles which IMHO aren't worth the extra $$$. Why may you ask?

Okay, two features it touts are an adjustable lens and distortion correction - the adjustable lens is to assist with height and distance estimation and the distortion correction is to give you a view which isn't "fisheye". These are to assist with precise parking - however the "parking grid overlay" built into the MMCS achieves both of these - so to me, these features become redundant.

Of course, I am a gadget geek and if I was putting a system in a different vehicel I would defintitely go for the new model!

GPSeek 08-27-2007 08:48 PM

rdenis, Thanks for sharing your insight and the detailed installation instructions.
I'll do it when I have the time.

biscuit 09-02-2007 12:04 AM

Thanks for the install tips rdenis, mine works like a champ. I used a camera that I got on eBay for $25. I decided to mount mine in my wing, here are some photos.

First I removed the wing, search for the removal tips if you haven't seen my previous post on that. Then I used a step-drill to make the hole and finished it off with a Dremel to make it a perfect fit.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/upfiles/...w205793672.jpg

The wiring was done according to rdenis's technique, although I was tempted to wire the 12V to the rear back-up light rather than to the Nav unit.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/upfiles/...z980822099.jpg

The camera I got is a "Wide Angle 120D Rear View Backup Night IR Car Camera SMhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifALL" for$24.99 from seller Kawacam, the dimensions are 41mmx29mm. Make sure you get thesmall one because they sell larger ones that won't fit inside the wing. It fits almost flush with the wing.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/upfiles/...x261741548.jpg

I thought about making the back of the wing black so that it would hide the camera better, but after seeing it I don't think I need to.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/upfiles/...b136769974.jpg

https://mitsubishiforum.com/upfiles/...x682812959.jpg

The camera works well and has a wide angle. The wing mount location gives a little higher view than if you mount it in the area above the license plate. I'm not sure which is better. On mine you can see the rear window wiper off to the side, and if you get any closer than the glass you'll probably hit. Here's the view.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/upfiles/...r946009922.jpg

Total cost was under $50 and it took me a couple of hours to install. Get 20 feet if you buy wiring. I used a 20' RCA extension jack and 20' of standard speaker wire for the 12V.

The good thing is that the camera works as soon as you put it into reverse, even if the Nav unit hasn't had time to turn on. My Nav unit takes about 15 seconds to start, so that had me a little worried because I didn't want to wait for it to start before I backed out.

SpeedI2acerX 09-02-2007 01:18 AM

im confuse. is the "brain" necessary? im not sure what u mean when u said "Yellow is grounded to signal head..unit a camera is attached". i guess what im trying to say is how is the camera getting its power and when a camera is present and when u back up does it automatically pop up the rearview screen?

biscuit 09-02-2007 08:54 AM

The brain is not necessary if you get a camera like the one I used.

Connect the yellow wire to the black wire, then solder them to the negative wire on the RCA jack, see my photo above. The orange wire goes to positive on the RCA jack. The other two wires just get cut and left disconnected, that tells the MMCS that there is a camera attached.

Power to the camera comes from splicing into the other plug for 12V+ and 12V-. Or, you can grab power from the back-up light on the rear hatch.

The camera comes on automatically when you put the car in reverse.

rdenis 09-02-2007 12:55 PM

Nicely done Biscuit!

20Outlander07 09-23-2007 07:36 PM

Never had a rear view camera or seen one in action, but I'm interested in installing one. If you were backing out of a parking spot and about to hit a car parked behind you with the corner of your bumper, would the camera catch that angle? That's my major concernwith some ofthe tight parking around my area.

Would you still go with the Pioneer ND-BC2 today?

rdenis 09-23-2007 10:22 PM

The ND-BC2 has a 135 degree viewing angle so you will see that car on the corner of your bumper. Take a look at the screen shot I have in the first post which shows the parking lot. You can get a pretty good idea of the viewing angle looking at the parking stall lines as reference.

I would definitely go with this camera today (or whatever the latest incarnation of it is).

Elvis077 10-01-2007 01:32 AM

I have a 08 lancer GTS. I installed backup cam in my lancer today, but I don't have the grid overlay. other then that it works great. I'm just wondering if i did anything wrong or maybe the lancer mmcs is a little different? I jumped pins 5 and 6 to the ground and pin 3 as the video lead of my rca. My camera comes on when i go into reverse and i can go into the camera settings where it has all the adjustment arrows, but they don't do anything at all. I am using an older nd-bc1 for my cam.

Matti2d 10-06-2007 09:06 PM

Hey Biscuit,

Nice job on the camera. I'm trying to do the same. Any hints on removing the rear spoiler? I've removed four bolts but the spoiler still seems pretty snug, and I'm afraid of pulling too hard.

Thanks for any info.

biscuit 10-06-2007 11:38 PM

Sure, here's a thread I made that shows how to remove the wing:

http://www.outieclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29

Basically just remove the 4 screws, then remove the 9 plastic retainers by using the palm of your hand to pop the wing straight up toward the sky.