Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

DIA Queen J2 shower

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Some old threads just need some resurrection once in a while.

It was time for my 2nd ATF change and called up the dealership that "changed" my fluid the last time...but this time, there was a different service manager. I asked her how the fluid was to be changed, while I was looking at the service manual instructions. They only charge $139 for just pulling the drain plug & refilling. I asked what I got last time..."drain & fill". S.O.B.!!!

So I bought just the oil, saved myself $10, and I know that all the old fluid is pretty much gone. Thanks to this thread, I pulled both hoses directed into an anti-freeze bottle.

Just a few notes. I let the engine run until the fluid out of the hose was not too productive...once you do this, you'll know what I mean. When I went to drain out the transmission from the drain plug...I got one drip. I put 4 quarts into the fill hole, then started the engine again. I let it flow out of the hose until the fluid changed from burned to bright pink. I then added 4 more quarts and was lucky that I landed right where I should.

It drives so much better now. Very glad I got it done today. Its also one thing to have a good service manual...it is also great to have others relate the same job for others.
Both hoses? The service diagram shows pulling only one of the two hoses...

Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 PM

yeah, I pulled both because the manual doesn't say which end to pull or which way the fluid flows. Pulling both hoses takes an extra couple of minutes and is guaranteed oil in the jug. I didn't want to be doing this myself and have a giant mess.

One thing I forgot to mention, I raised the vehicle using 4x4 boards. I had enough to set two 4x4 boards side by side, then drove on to them...evenly raising the vehicle 4". Worked great and very stable.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 AM

I am thinking I could do this without even lifting the car. I think I can just crawl under the front bumper. Can I?

I change engine oil without lifting the car.

Last edited by ruski; 02-28-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 AM

If you change oil w/o lifting...you should be able to do this...just gives me a little more room.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:42 AM

Im about to change my transmission fluid this weekend. The dealer suggested 6 jugs (6L). I asked how they do it, and he simply replied "Drain & Fill". - His detailed version: Run engine until fluid is HOT. Turn off, drain fluid via transmission drain plug. Fill in 4 jugs, run, and add accordingly. Apparently they don’t use an extraction tool, or disconnect hoses from the cooler.

What are your thoughts here?
How many liter will come out IF only draining via drain plug?
Or should I just do the hose disconnect? - since most have reported that only a drop will appear from the drain plug after the hose disconnect.

Thanks guys

Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MM3Canuck
Im about to change my transmission fluid this weekend. The dealer suggested 6 jugs (6L). I asked how they do it, and he simply replied "Drain & Fill". - His detailed version: Run engine until fluid is HOT. Turn off, drain fluid via transmission drain plug. Fill in 4 jugs, run, and add accordingly. Apparently they don’t use an extraction tool, or disconnect hoses from the cooler.

What are your thoughts here?
How many liter will come out IF only draining via drain plug?
Or should I just do the hose disconnect? - since most have reported that only a drop will appear from the drain plug after the hose disconnect.

Thanks guys
Im looking to get this done soon too. If the dealer just does a drain and fill what are they charging?

U can basically do a drain and fill without lifting the vehicle. should take all of 10 mins. Whered you get your fluid?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 AM

I got the fluid from the Markham, Ontario dealer. It was $12 or $13 / liter.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by MM3Canuck
I got the fluid from the Markham, Ontario dealer. It was $12 or $13 / liter.
Wow thats cheap, London ont here I remeber they wer elookign around $20-$25 / litre.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:43 PM

To clear things up for everyone:

When removing the upper hose from the tranny cooler:
1. You will only get a drop or two from the removed hose.
2. The upper nipple (the one with the removed hose) will pump out fluid if engine started.
3. Place a hose over the nipple and direct into a container.
4. Run engine in 'N' (neutral) - I ran mine for about 30-45seconds. ~ 3.8-4 liters came out
5. Shut off after 30-45 seconds
6. Drain the remaining fluid via drain bolt. ~ 0.8 liters

Old 06-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ryandlor
Wow thats cheap, London ont here I remeber they wer elookign around $20-$25 / litre.
$13/ liter of J2 - J3 might be more.

My dip stick said J3, however when pulling up the VIN, everyone told me to use J2. Even the same model and year, will have either J2 or J3. The dipstick doesn’t always tell the truth, so check the VIN before choosing your fluid. - Not really sure what the difference is anyway.

Quick Reply: DIA Queen J2 shower