Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Diaqueen j2 vs j3 for a 2009 V6 outlander

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017 | 05:13 PM
|
Default Dealer used ATF diaqueen j3 for 2009 V6 outlander instead of j2

Hey all,
just got done fluids changed last week. I have a 2009 Outlander with almost 200,000km on it. Every auto fluid change they used diaqueen j2 ATF(mz311986). This time they used j3 (mz320286). Is that a problem? I know the 2010 Outlanders are supposed to use this. However, my 2009 manual definitely calls for j2.

Also, they used a different gear oil for the transfer case (mz320350) instead of the one they have used every time (gear-459269) which was MOBIL 1 syn 74w90

Thoughts on this? Is the j3 a newer version of j2?
Thanks
Dave

Last edited by newoutlanderfan; 10-24-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-23-2017 | 06:29 PM
|

I called two dealers.
One said no way they would do that. The other said they use j3 for all the 2007-2009 that call for j2.
So completely different answers. Both very adamant on their own viewpoints.
The car has been driven 3 hours on the highway and around town with j3 in it...I didn't notice anything wrong, but I'm not really sure how long it would take to start showing issues.

Old 10-24-2017 | 09:11 AM
|

bump?

Anyone have a clue about this? I'm not sure how to proceed - should I drive the car, should I not....
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2017 | 10:59 AM

So for my '07, the owners manual shows J2. The service manual states J1. J3 is just a superseded version of J2. Last time I changed my fluid, I had the option of going to J3 vs J2, but it was like 5 bucks a quart more....I stayed with J2.

I don't think Id worry.

Old 10-24-2017 | 11:53 AM
|

Originally Posted by ccernst
So for my '07, the owners manual shows J2. The service manual states J1. J3 is just a superseded version of J2. Last time I changed my fluid, I had the option of going to J3 vs J2, but it was like 5 bucks a quart more....I stayed with J2.

I don't think Id worry.
Thanks for the response ccernst. Its just odd that after 8 years of owning it and doing regular ATF drains and fills with J2, all of a sudden they put J3 in this time (even though J3 has been available for years). AND, 4 mitsubishi dealerships said quote" they would never do that - put what your manual calls for in it". So I got freaked out. And of course it's just a drain and fill, so now there is a mix of J2 and J3 in there.

And the same goes for the transfer case oil. 8 years, always used the mobil 1 75w90. All of a sudden in this last fill, they use that different one.

I guess I didn't know what to make of it.

So the dealership gave you the choice of J2 or J3?

thanks
dave

Old 10-24-2017 | 04:41 PM

well, I bought my own fluid and changed it out myself. they stocked both. Since J2 was cheaper and was what I had been using, I rolled with it again.

Back when I was in another city, I called two dealerships about power steering fluid. One was adamant about using PS fluid. The other said any ATF would work. I've used both and had no issues.

IMO, dealerships are mechanic shops with the backing of a brand. It doesn't mean they are the experts, but it does mean they see more of that brand than other places. Goes both ways though....you wouldn't go to a firestone shop to have a recall performed, but I would go to them for tires...all depends what you are doing. On the other side of the fence, I took mine in for the crossmember recall. they slopped/sprayed the coating on and called it good. while I was changing swaybar links, the coating was already flaking off....potentially trapping more water behind it to rust out some more.

Old 10-27-2017 | 06:55 AM
|

well, I bought my own fluid and changed it out myself. they stocked both. Since J2 was cheaper and was what I had been using, I rolled with it again.

Back when I was in another city, I called two dealerships about power steering fluid. One was adamant about using PS fluid. The other said any ATF would work. I've used both and had no issues.

IMO, dealerships are mechanic shops with the backing of a brand. It doesn't mean they are the experts, but it does mean they see more of that brand than other places. Goes both ways though....you wouldn't go to a firestone shop to have a recall performed, but I would go to them for tires...all depends what you are doing. On the other side of the fence, I took mine in for the crossmember recall. they slopped/sprayed the coating on and called it good. while I was changing swaybar links, the coating was already flaking off....potentially trapping more water behind it to rust out some more.
Fair enough....I still find it very disconcerting that there is such a disconnect between dealerships regarding the j2 / j3 issue. You would think if Mitsubishi Canada (I'm in Nova SCotia) approved j3 use in the older models, EVERY dealership would know that.
The service advisor still hasn't shown me any proof this is came down for the powers that be.

Old 10-27-2017 | 09:27 AM

you might try calling mistubishi of north america. I tried calling once to get details on the interference/non-interference question around the 2010 change....but didn't get a good answer out of them.

I've been tempted to go the Havoline route...but always go back to "well, J2 has carried me this far and not horrible to source....)

Old 10-27-2017 | 11:52 AM
|

you might try calling mistubishi of north america. I tried calling once to get details on the interference/non-interference question around the 2010 change....but didn't get a good answer out of them.

I've been tempted to go the Havoline route...but always go back to "well, J2 has carried me this far and not horrible to source....)
Already called Mitsubishi Canada. He said he "would check with is technical department." Haven't heard back. I'm sure that translates to GFY haha.

One dealership was kinda helpful. He showed me a recall repair notice on 2007-2009 outlanders v6 that had a newer transfer assembly put on them. So basically the 2009 transmission with a newer transfer assembly (don't ask me what that is). Anyway, the recall instructions for the 2007-2009 says to drain the ATF, fix the recall and replace with ATF-J3 fluid.

So that's about as concrete of evidence that I have. Everyone other dealership was useless.

Old 01-01-2024 | 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Already called Mitsubishi Canada. He said he "would check with is technical department." Haven't heard back. I'm sure that translates to GFY haha.

One dealership was kinda helpful. He showed me a recall repair notice on 2007-2009 outlanders v6 that had a newer transfer assembly put on them. So basically the 2009 transmission with a newer transfer assembly (don't ask me what that is). Anyway, the recall instructions for the 2007-2009 says to drain the ATF, fix the recall and replace with ATF-J3 fluid.

So that's about as concrete of evidence that I have. Everyone other dealership was useless.
Hi, so is it normal to use J3 for J2 in Outlander 2009 now? my mechanic also said that they only have J3 now and will use it in the service.. I'm in doubt whether it's a correct practise.. pls comment