Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Difficulty of Hood Deflector Install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Default Difficulty of Hood Deflector Install?

Hey guys, im new to the forums and I'd just like to say I'm loving the 08' Outlander ES 4WD that i bought, however I want to get the hood deflector. Since im from Canada it'll cost me $100 from the dealership and another $100 for the install, wheras I can get it shipped to Canada from MitsubishiParts.net for around $70~ shipped. Now im wondering, how difficult is this thing to install? I heard that some hood deflectors require drilling into the hood? is this necessary? Are instructions included? I have a '02 Corolla with a hood deflector and when i checked it out, it looks like it is just clipped down under the hood with plastic hooks/screws. I was just wondering if you fellow Outlander owners could give me some input and the course of action i could take. Now, i have to warn u I have very little experience when it comes to cars, but if drilling into the hood in order to install the deflector is required, i feel pretty hesistant!

thanks again!

Old 06-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Default RE: Difficulty of Hood Deflector Install?

Welcome to the forum!!! Congrats on your new Outlander. I don't think there is any drilling required on the hood. Its probably 2-4 metal clips that go under the hood. Possible double sided tap to made it secure. I have on window deflectors and its a combination of metal clips and sticky double sided tape to secure it. I just ordered the sunroof visor also. So keep you posted with that.....
You can call the dealership up to get a copy of the instructions.

Take care!

Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 PM

does MitsubishiParts.net ship to Canada?
if so what are the shipping prices like?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:06 PM

yup, they do! its around $12 for one item, $20 for 2, and $35 for 3 items

ORIGINAL: Elisha

does MitsubishiParts.net ship to Canada?
if so what are the shipping prices like?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 PM

Try these companies. http://mitsubishipartspeople.com/
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/cart/?pn=Outlander

Enjoy!

Good prices and ship to Canada

Old 06-30-2008, 03:13 PM

good to know. thanks.

i would like to know about the installation of the hood deflector as well. i had 2 chips 24 hours after i got my car. and it is black so the chips show up white.
if it doesn't require drilling, i'm so on it.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:19 PM

The hood deflector isn't that difficult to install. Plastic pin/pegs are used from the rubber gasket at the front/bottom of the hood. The bottom edge of the deflector is inserted between the hood and the rubber gasket, then refastened with the plastic pegs. Everything was provided with the deflector kit from MitsuAccessories, including longer pegs. Although shipped a long way from the East Coast to Hawaii, no scratches were seen on the plastic deflector upon arrival.
The deflector will give your Outlander a unique look. From some of the nicks seen in my deflector, I'd guess that some hood paint was protected from chipping off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12762/0BF9F925E8E94E5A8F304568F451632E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 PM

do you have to measure and center the deflector or does it line up perfectly with the clips holes?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 AM

Yup, it's a dealer's accessory. I didn't have to modify any of the pre-drilled holes. Everything lined up okay.
I was worried too, but it's a pretty good product.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 AM

You could also try a Third party like Weathertech http://www.weathertechcanada.com/sto...&Year=2007
It's $89 CDN including Shipping, and since they ship from Canada you won't have any surprises like Duty or brokerage fees.
I ordered a Bike Helmet once that was 69$US, same thing in Canada was about 150$. After shipping, duty, taxes and brokerage fee, it cost me about 145$. Still sheaper but not much.

Quick Reply: Difficulty of Hood Deflector Install?