Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Disable Automatic Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Question Disable Automatic Windshield Wipers

Does anyone know of a way to disable the automatic windshield wiper control and set them to manual?

Right now, on the turn stalk, I have wiper controls for Automatic (with variable sensitivity settings), Low, and High.

I don't like the automatic controls, I'd prefer a manually controlled speed setting, rather than relying on a sensor that's only measuring one part of the windshield.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:50 PM

Did some research..According to the owners manual, it is possible. Sounds like a trip to the dealership is required though..

Name:  kBgmy2V.png
Views: 825
Size:  121.6 KB

Old 12-21-2015, 08:43 PM

If it's an option in MMCS you can probably change it with an ETACS decoder yourself for less than a trip to the stealership.

Not sure what year this is but on my 2010 the springy up position makes it wipe, the top most position turns it off, next is auto, next down is full time low then next is full time high.

I leave mine in auto in dry conditions in-case there is a little sputter or I get splashed and in the winter I leave it off and in moderate to heavy rain I use the manual lower most settings and when I stops raining I put it back into off.

If this is a newer car they may have removed that but I wouldn't expect them to have completely removed the manual operations. If you are looking for more options between low and high you might be able to set that, but I find the available options to work just fine.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
If it's an option in MMCS you can probably change it with an ETACS decoder yourself for less than a trip to the stealership.

Not sure what year this is but on my 2010 the springy up position makes it wipe, the top most position turns it off, next is auto, next down is full time low then next is full time high.

I leave mine in auto in dry conditions in-case there is a little sputter or I get splashed and in the winter I leave it off and in moderate to heavy rain I use the manual lower most settings and when I stops raining I put it back into off.

If this is a newer car they may have removed that but I wouldn't expect them to have completely removed the manual operations. If you are looking for more options between low and high you might be able to set that, but I find the available options to work just fine.
Mine is a 2010, but no MMCS. I have a recall on my ETACs unit that I need to see the dealership for, so I'll see if they can change the setting at that time.

The automatic mode is less than reliable for me. Often times it's either wiping too often or not enough. I'd rather the setting just be set to variable intermittent, and bypass the rain sensor all together.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:54 PM

OK well we both have the same car then and mine can either be manually selected (low or high) or left in auto. I don't have MMCS but I have the ETACS cable. The only thing I changed about my wipers from default is I turned off courtesy wiping (where it wipes like 4 times after you squirt) because it drove me nuts.

Just push the stalk down towards the ground and it will go into intermittent low or intermittent high and skip right over auto. I was using the manual intermittent mode today as it was snowing a lot.

I had that ETACS recall done and they just reset all my settings back to default, they couldn't even be bothered to copy them over, I had to reprogram it myself when I got it back.

The dealer may change the setting for you, but they will probably charge you for the pleasure.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:43 AM

OK well we both have the same car then and mine can either be manually selected (low or high) or left in auto. I don't have MMCS but I have the ETACS cable. The only thing I changed about my wipers from default is I turned off courtesy wiping (where it wipes like 4 times after you squirt) because it drove me nuts.

Just push the stalk down towards the ground and it will go into intermittent low or intermittent high and skip right over auto. I was using the manual intermittent mode today as it was snowing a lot.

I had that ETACS recall done and they just reset all my settings back to default, they couldn't even be bothered to copy them over, I had to reprogram it myself when I got it back.

The dealer may change the setting for you, but they will probably charge you for the pleasure.
You and I are opposites my friend! I love the courtesy wiping haha

Low and High are often too much at times. Then I set it to auto - highest setting and it just doesn't wipe to my preference. Hence why I'd rather it just be timed, not sensored.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:16 PM

I don't have MMCS but I have the ETACS cable.
What kind of cable and how much did it cost?

Old 12-23-2015, 02:04 PM

I want to be able to control how many times it wipes after washing, I usually find it wipes 1 or 2 many times and ends up streaking the window. It can also be distracting if you want it to stop.

I guess low and high could be sometimes not the right speed but I can usually with a little fiddling get it to do what I need. I have never tried getting rid of the auto because I leave it in auto most of the time.

There's a thread on here called ETACS customizaZtion. You can get details about it there.
Also ETACS Decoder Shop

The cable I got was about $100 but they have a new cable and new software that you can get for about $40.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:34 PM
Default While we are on the subject..

So- I know I'm being a picky brat but I'm seriously annoyed by my washer setting. Anytime I press to spray my wipers its like they are washing to the tune of a 40s musical. Spray spray spray pause spray spray.. Seriously? I just need a spritz not the entire reservoir. Any way to change this. Didn't find it in owners manual- going to check again though. 2015 Lancer AWC . thanks

Old 12-27-2015, 09:46 AM

is it wiping and spraying? or just spraying?

And are you holding the switch down?

Quick Reply: Disable Automatic Windshield Wipers