Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Do I have to do maintenance in Dealership to keep my warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Default Do I have to do maintenance in Dealership to keep my warranty?

I have a 2009 SE AWD Outlander. It is 2 years now and I have about 20K miles on it. According to the service schedule, I need to do a 30k/2 year maintenance.

I know it will cost me $500+ at dealership, but I have a good friend who has a shop. If I have my friend do the maintenance for me (probably $250), will I be able to keep my warranty? I know all dealers are saying that if I don't know maintenance in dealership, that will fail my warranty.

Anyone can provide any advices?

Thank you very much!!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 PM

keep your receipts and you cannot void your warranty.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 AM

Different countrys different rules....
This is the problem with the WORLD wide web ,and people asking and answering asume ,everyone is just around the corner..{no disrepect ccernst}
Where are you.?.... your said "miles " so that cuts out half of the world from the "kms"..

I know from my motorcycle forum ,that the USA guys can do their own service work on their bikes as long as they keep receipts.

Here is OZ you must have a licenced mechanic service your car/bike doesn't have to be serviced at the dealer {but they tell you you have to get it done by them} and your log book must be stamped or have a receipts for all services ,OR you can void the warrenty.
So I would wait till you let everyone know where your from to get the 100% right answer from someone in your country .
Just to be sure.

Gee I sound like a tosser ,but seen people get burned by the wrong info from someone in another country ,to many times and its cost them money.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sleddog
This is the problem with the WORLD wide web ,and people asking and answering asume ,everyone is just around the corner..{no disrepect ccernst}
Where are you.?.... your said "miles " so that cuts out half of the world from the "kms"..

I know from my motorcycle forum ,that the USA guys can do their own service work on their bikes as long as they keep receipts.

Here is OZ you must have a licenced mechanic service your car/bike doesn't have to be serviced at the dealer {but they tell you you have to get it done by them} and your log book must be stamped or have a receipts for all services ,OR you can void the warrenty.
So I would wait till you let everyone know where your from to get the 100% right answer from someone in your country .
Just to be sure.

Gee I sound like a tosser ,but seen people get burned by the wrong info from someone in another country ,to many times and its cost them money.
no, you are right. I did think about that after I posted...but then thought there'd be others to chime in and bring that up.

It would help if the OP would update his signature or the location field in his profile to let us know where he's at...

Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 AM

Have a look at this thread:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=37705

post #6 from me has two image taken from another forum stating Mitsubishi Canada's position to a group of user that lost the only dealer of the province of PEI.

Obviously this position is biased by the Canadian Consumer protection laws.
Depending where you are in the world the position may differ depending of the law's restrictions.

In doubt contact Mitsubishi in your country and ask them the question and make sure the answer is in writing and keep a copy in case you need to argue with a dealer that see you as a captive source of money.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Sorry for not posting my location. I am brand new to this forum. I am in California U.S.A. What I am planning to do is taking my car to my friend's auto shop and have him do the job for me. My friend has a shop on the street, so obviously he has licence from the government. Does he need to be licensed by the Mitsubishi car maker?

BTW: How to add signature?

Originally Posted by Sleddog

Just to be sure.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 PM

At the top left side of this page you will see USER CP ...click on it and you will see signature and other things to personalise your self on the forum.

If your mates got a shop ,there will be no problems ,just make sure you get a receipt that its been serviced at the correct miles or months -years of owner ship.
Doesn't matter if its a car-bike or boat ,they will try to get out of paying warrenty if they can ,just best to cover your ****.
Like I said seen to many people get burned.

Cheers and beers
Sled.