Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Do I smell ripeoff - Reprogramming TPMS Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 PM
tcp
Default interesting

but they're lying to you. I have a set of winter tires on separate rims that don't have the TPMS sensors. Every winter my TPMS warning comes on and i have to press and hold the reset button on my display for 3 seconds every time I start the car or it gives me a warning message. The system doesn't see any sensors for 6 months.

In the spring I put my OEM rims with the original tires back on and the system sees the sensors just fine. Yes, I rotate the location of the tires as well. It takes 2-3 starts of the engine when I remove the OEM wheels before the error emerges and the same when I put the OEM wheels back on before the error disappears. I bought my outie in July 2007 and have been doing this every winter since then. They are full of it and lying straight to your face.

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg
Just changed over from my winter tires to OEM rims and tires and had the dealer do it as part of my normal service interval (so saved on tire rotation, etc.). Anyways it was explained to me that unlike BMW, Audi, Volvo, etc., when the Outlander CPU no longer senses the wheel/tire sensors it resets itself, so you have to reprogram the cpu/sensor when you take the rim/tire off. The service dept acknowledged it as a PITA. Anyways, they charged a flat/standard fee of $30 to reprogram the sensors. 1.5 hours? You are getting ripped off. Inform Mitsu corporate that your dealer is taking advantage of you.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 PM

My outlander is the 2007 LS model.

Here is the store info if you'd like to call and ask questions.
Store #23760
9502 Nall Ave
Overland Park, KS 66207
(913) 341-1125

Old 03-15-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by tcp
but they're lying to you. I have a set of winter tires on separate rims that don't have the TPMS sensors. Every winter my TPMS warning comes on and i have to press and hold the reset button on my display for 3 seconds every time I start the car or it gives me a warning message. The system doesn't see any sensors for 6 months.

In the spring I put my OEM rims with the original tires back on and the system sees the sensors just fine. Yes, I rotate the location of the tires as well. It takes 2-3 starts of the engine when I remove the OEM wheels before the error emerges and the same when I put the OEM wheels back on before the error disappears. I bought my outie in July 2007 and have been doing this every winter since then. They are full of it and lying straight to your face.
TCP is 100% right. I have a 2007 XLS and I have been doing the same thing as him and the outlander pick up the sensor when I put my summer wheels back on automatically and give me the warning in the winter when I put my winter wheels on without sensor your dealer is full of it and is trying to make money on your back!!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by roach
TCP is 100% right. I have a 2007 XLS and I have been doing the same thing as him and the outlander pick up the sensor when I put my summer wheels back on automatically and give me the warning in the winter when I put my winter wheels on without sensor your dealer is full of it and is trying to make money on your back!!
Since I have become an expert this area, It's true what TCP says. The Mitsui TPMS system, unlike some other systems, does not have a relearn mode. WHat this means, is there are 4 TPMS sensor id's store in the ECU of the mitsu. When the ECU cannot detect one of these sensors, it will flash the warning, Service Soon. So when you swap out you wheels and replace them with non-TPMS sensors, you get the warning. Putting the wheels with the factory TPMS sensors, back on, it goes away. Your dealer is ripping you off. .

Old 03-15-2010, 06:50 PM

I am not a lawyer but I think this is not very nice of Mitsubishi. You as the consumer have the right to have your vehicle serviced where you want. Mitsubishi should be required to support these options. If you get your tire changed somewhere other than the dealer they should provide the neccessary tools/information to other vendors to provide these basic tasks. Other than laybor which is a dealership profit, TPMS programming codes I don't think would hurt Mitsubishi's bottom line. I am wondering if the 1.5hrs laybor is because they need to remove the tire to get the code off the sensor, that would almost make sense.

2010 Outlander ES 2WD

Old 03-16-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by JayOutlander
I am not a lawyer but I think this is not very nice of Mitsubishi. You as the consumer have the right to have your vehicle serviced where you want. Mitsubishi should be required to support these options. If you get your tire changed somewhere other than the dealer they should provide the neccessary tools/information to other vendors to provide these basic tasks. Other than laybor which is a dealership profit, TPMS programming codes I don't think would hurt Mitsubishi's bottom line. I am wondering if the 1.5hrs laybor is because they need to remove the tire to get the code off the sensor, that would almost make sense.

2010 Outlander ES 2WD
They don't have to remove the tire if they have the correct tool. These tools can obtain the sensor ID by pointing the tool at the valve area. Take a look at the Bartec tool on their website. The old sensor ID's are still in the system.

1 -Activate the sensor with the tool, by pointing it at the valve body
2 - The activation sequence will return the sensor ID (if you did not write it down)
3 - GO to a computer hooked into the ODBII port to upate the sensor info.
1.5 hour labor quote by the dealer is a total ripeoff.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tcp
but they're lying to you.
Good to know for next year. For $30 I'm not crying in my soup over it especially when they did the tire swap for free. 1.5 hours of labour though would be a different story.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Just switched back to my stock all season tires at my local tire shop.

The TPMS sensor warning light cleared on the second start of the vehicle without any relearning or reprogramming.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:34 PM

I just had my all seasons put back on (with the sensors) by a local shop and the TPMS, which was lit up all winter due to my winter tires not having sensors), went off immediately. So I'm guessing the system recognized the sensors without any trouble at all.....

Old 03-26-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
I just had my all seasons put back on (with the sensors) by a local shop and the TPMS, which was lit up all winter due to my winter tires not having sensors), went off immediately. So I'm guessing the system recognized the sensors without any trouble at all.....
Yes that is how the Mitsu system works. There are 4 sensor ID's which are stored in the ECU and the ECU wil light up with the service reminder if it cannot find one of those four sensor IDs. That is why if you replace a sensor, you have to go back to the dealer to program in the new sensor ID. Some other manufactures do not require a reprogram. The system will learn after a while there is a new sensor ID.

Quick Reply: Do I smell ripeoff - Reprogramming TPMS Sensor