Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Do I smell ripeoff - Reprogramming TPMS Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by joeba
Yes that is how the Mitsu system works. There are 4 sensor ID's which are stored in the ECU and the ECU wil light up with the service reminder if it cannot find one of those four sensor IDs. That is why if you replace a sensor, you have to go back to the dealer to program in the new sensor ID. Some other manufactures do not require a reprogram. The system will learn after a while there is a new sensor ID.
Geez! And Mitsu made it so complicated. I am running with snowtires now w/o sensors. I declined to buy the aftermarket tpms from the tire store because of the added expense of reprogramming it or worse end up buying another set because I can only use the OE once I get to the dealership. I opted to what have other guys did here...w/c is to deal with the error message until swapping back to my original all-season tire/wheel set in a few months.
Knock on wood, when one of my OE tpms goes south I am thinking of purchasing an entire TPMS kit(sensors plus monitor) I like the feature of audible alarm. https://www.tiretraker.com/default.asp

Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 AM

You can get a Lexia and just turn the entire TPMS system off... You already don't have them so why not just shut off the warning light? In the spring you can turn it back on AFAIK.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...e7/#post278688

Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
You can get a Lexia and just turn the entire TPMS system off... You already don't have them so why not just shut off the warning light? In the spring you can turn it back on AFAIK.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...e7/#post278688
Interesting and very loooong discussions. I don't think I am ready for that gadget. I might end up messing something. Although- I don't mind paying someone who has the unit to disable the damn warning tpms light but not the system itself(illegal here). Anybody near the Los Angels area?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 AM

Your TireTraker system idea, IMO, is not a good option. It will not integrate into the car's computer system, so you'll always have the TPMS alarms...and you'll have to monitor/store a separate gauge. It would be a step above running regular stems, if you don't mind watching/storing another gadget.

It is frustrating because the sensor is the same one used in other manufacturers (I have an earlier thread with part numbers). The difference is that Mitsu has locked down the car's computer so that they have to introduce new sensors. Lexia tool would be your best option to suppress the alerts while running seasonal/different tires.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Your TireTraker system idea, IMO, is not a good option. It will not integrate into the car's computer system, so you'll always have the TPMS alarms...and you'll have to monitor/store a separate gauge. It would be a step above running regular stems, if you don't mind watching/storing another gadget.

It is frustrating because the sensor is the same one used in other manufacturers (I have an earlier thread with part numbers). The difference is that Mitsu has locked down the car's computer so that they have to introduce new sensors. Lexia tool would be your best option to suppress the alerts while running seasonal/different tires.
You are correct. Even converting to this new gadget I still need to completely disable the oe tpms. Yes, the sad part is I can only do this by investing on this Lexia tool. I doubt the dealer is willing to do it even for a fee.
Here's my scenario:
Replace 1 broken oe tpms $120 + dealer programming$100=close to $220/ each occurance...with my luck two might break at the same time!!!! $340.
OR
Get rid of all oe tpms (and sell the good and working tpms)
$100 lexia(or a used one-cheaper?) + new tpms gadget $220 + new valve stems $80? = $400 tops one time.. forever-- okay maybe not infinity. lol!
Sound like a project when i get a tax refund..and of course w/ the wife's blessing.
I don't mind having a second monitor. I might be able to install it next to the cig lighter area.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 AM

There is a solution to the tpms issue without having to take your car to the dealer or having to disable the tpms system by changing settings on your ecu.

I have programmed a bunch of sensors for folks on the evo forums and none have had any issues. You can read about the solution on this thread

A tpms solution proven to work - evolutionm.net

If anyone needs sensors programmed pm me. I do not charge for programming them. You could source them out and ship them to me for programming or i can source a set for you.

Pm me if you have any questions.