Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2018 Outlander Sport Reverse Gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 09:20 PM
Default 2018 Outlander Sport Reverse Gear

I just picked up a 2018 Outlander Sport ES with a manual transmission. I have been loving it so far, but I am having one issue. When I am parked, and need to reverse out of a spot, sometimes I cannot get it to go all the way into reverse (the stick will get caught about halfway into reverse, but there are no noises of any type). If I let the vehicle roll just a tiny amount (like and inch), then it will engage. I have been driving manual for about 13 years, and I haven't really encountered this before. I took it back to the dealer, and they said that there wasn't anything wrong with it, and explained that it doesn't have a synchro for the reverse gear (which I assumed), and that this was normal. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, is it actually a normal thing...or do you think that there is something more going on. It really doesn't bother me, but the last thing I want to do is damage my car because I didn't push the issue further with the dealer. Any help/suggestions are tremendously appreciated.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:46 PM

hmmm...I kind of call bull**** there...I could be wrong. The reverse gear is not synchroed (sp)?.. I have driven a ton of manual cars..cheap to expensive..have not felt the shifter being stuck. I would want all the gears to be smooth on a brand new vehicle.

I would try another Dealer..or better yet a Transmission Shop. Best of Luck..keep us updated.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lancerguy2013
hmmm...I kind of call bull**** there...I could be wrong. The reverse gear is not synchroed (sp)?.. I have driven a ton of manual cars..cheap to expensive..have not felt the shifter being stuck. I would want all the gears to be smooth on a brand new vehicle.

I would try another Dealer..or better yet a Transmission Shop. Best of Luck..keep us updated.
Yeah, I was pretty sure there was something more going on. It's actually gotten worse, and it's happening to pretty much all of the gears now. I think what's happening is clutch drag. Luckily I was able to get an appointment at another Mitsubishi dealer, and everything should be covered under warranty. I really like the car, other than the issues with the clutch, so I'm hoping that it can be fixed and I can start to enjoy my car again .